ROTS: Super AI Mod - v0.5 - 2/4/2011 updated!

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

alexalexuk

RE: ROTS: Super AI Mod - v0.4

Post by alexalexuk »

Well this version is insane, getting AI frigates with firepower higher than mine! the game feels good, and im getting bitch slapped around.

Give it a try?

Data

Post by Data »

Sure, you're not the only masochist that enjoys a good old bitch slapping...and other forms of s&m that this mod can bring [:)]
Big kudos to you, big daddy
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
alexalexuk

Post by alexalexuk »

hahaha, thanks data :)

updated the "goals" for this mod, good to make them more straight forward.

Key goals of this mod are:

1) Get the AI to build more ships
2) Make the AI bloody hard to beat
Merker

Post by Merker »

Sounds like a coooooool mod. But question: is there still a vanilla DW compatible version. I don't quite have ROTS yet
Image[/img]
Data

Post by Data »

afaik the files edited by this mod should be the same on vanilla so it can be tried there as well. But the creator of it should confirm it [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I think Datas right, the changes here *should* be possible in original DW, but I think you can't use the actual file from the RotS version because its slightly different.  You would have to type the same changes into the original DW file.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I'll probably give this a try in my next game. I assume you can "combo" this with other mods? Referring to Woodmans Diverse Worlds here.
BTW Alex, you were saying that AI frigates had more firepower than yours. Did you use basic designs or your own custom designs?

Also, do the races still "make sense" on chaos setting? As I like to RP my games, and like it when AI empires act according to their backstory. My problem with high aggressiviness settings is the AIs crazy way of getting war with every other empire, ruining the game for themselves and also for other empires.

Anyway, looking forward trying this out.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

I've been running the aggressiveness on one less than the maximum Chaos setting. I read that the Chaos setting just makes the AIs weaker becauset they fight too much. Is the AI mod not working if I have the agressiveness set one less than the max setting?
Data

Post by Data »

It should work irrespective of the aggressiveness level but J is making a very good point there. In the end, only testing will tell.
RViener

Post by RViener »

Is this version still compatible with 1.06.08?
Bob
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: RViener

Is this version still compatible with 1.06.08?
Bob

I'm afraid not. It's only compatible with RotS v1.5 to 1.5.0.8.
RViener

Post by RViener »

Thanks, I meant 1.5.08 beta.
Bob
Igard

Post by Igard »

Oh, I see, thought you meant the latest vanilla DW. Enjoy, Bob. [:)]
alexalexuk

Post by alexalexuk »

so,

little update:

- im working on changing the baises.txt file at the moment to make things, more interesting.
- im adjusting some races specs with mining, aggressiveness and loyalty
- minor bug fix in the mod

should be out sometime this weekend :)

Alex

alexalexuk

Post by alexalexuk »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

I'll probably give this a try in my next game. I assume you can "combo" this with other mods? Referring to Woodmans Diverse Worlds here.
BTW Alex, you were saying that AI frigates had more firepower than yours. Did you use basic designs or your own custom designs?

Also, do the races still "make sense" on chaos setting? As I like to RP my games, and like it when AI empires act according to their backstory. My problem with high aggressiviness settings is the AIs crazy way of getting war with every other empire, ruining the game for themselves and also for other empires.

Anyway, looking forward trying this out.

Hey,

They are more powerful than my own custom designs - i usualy put one or two more blasters than the AI does in my ship designs, and maybe more armour and shields. Ive come across ships with 1.25 to 1.5 times my firepower with the same size, its impressive.

Im finding that Chaos isnt all that bad - it comes down to race type and loyalty - in essence - in the new release ill be giving the same race types bonuses working with each other - happiness etc - i hope this leads to more race based alliances, and bigger wars, ie insects vs humans, rather than insects vs insects and vs everyone else - should lead to a different more dynamic game. Loyalty also comes into play, modifying that slightly could yield a different dynamic to diplomatic relations going forward.

Please provide feedback!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I started a game with your mod yesterday, and I have never had so much fun in the early game.

I think I set the others at tech level 3 and excellent home system, and gave myself starting tech level and normal home system. After a rather dud 11 empire thing where I saw not so much enemies to my humans, I started as Dhayut game instead with 19 random generated empires.

So, Dhayut, Military Dictatorship... They kind of took offense. Getting into war is no problem, they are happy to start them. Discover a new empire? 5 sec later they initiate trade sanctions.

I tried to make a couple of outposts on the Kiadian cluster, dropping colonies on some nice 70% desert worlds in systems with their mining bases. And? They start a war after shooting up my freighters for a while. During the second of those wars (I am still kind of good at ending them), I was suddenly informed that I from now on have a Dhayut democracy [&:]. I have never had that happen before [:D]. I did swap it for something less obscene though, I think I picked republic as a more middle way...

Time will show if things keep up.

Btw, the humans are easy to bribe. I found Korabbia on a desert world in a system in their area. With a human mining base on (and other mining bases in the system). I dropped a colony ship, and figured I would never have that colony survive a war, so I started trading them spice. Now they love me so much they asked for a free trade agreement! (the republic thing may be a factor too...).
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Thanks for the info Alex! Will wait for the next update and then get a proper epic game going as Kiadians or Zenox.
BTW. I read that AI has lowered maintenance costs. I generally won't tolerate cheating AIs, but I'll give this a try and see how it works.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

There is cheating and there is cheating. Giving some help to the AI is not so annoying in my book. Especially when enabled by a mod. It is really no different than giving yourself worse starting conditions, that is also introducing help to the AI by higher starting tech level and such.

What is really annoying is AI that do magic stuff that you can't do. Like popping units out of nowhere, and doing moves not available to you. "Hidden" cheats is ok on higher difficulty levels (like this mod is trying to make).
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Ive started a standard map galaxy with this mod.

I made 19 AI empires all at OLD development and gave them Level 3 tech.

My random assigned race was Sluken, who are of course hated but have very strong troops.

Needless to say I'm confined to 4 colonies and grabbed one from the Ugnari's when they started an unprovoked war.

Another colony flipped to me from the Securans.

My only worry with chaos setting plus a hatred of non similiar races is that

This game is heavily based on trading

With all the races at war, sometimes in 3 wars

It makes for a game where trade is not so heavily involved

War weariness I think is tearing some empires apart

There have been large colonies go independant

Also the penalty in diplomacy for ''We covet your colonies and resources'' is so high the only way to improve relations is by building mines then selling them

Not that I'm gonna do that as it would be gamey

Some empires are only at 5,000 military strength, even though they have 19 colonies

Top empire is at 40,000 military strength

I'm not gonna salvage debris field ships as they unbalance the game

Although I'm just checking out the world destroyers, I hope no ones fixing them

Has anyone thought of generating a kick-ass difficult map?

Perhaps with a hated race boxed into a corner with Pirates with Shakturi Capital Ships[:D]

Debris fields erased etc etc

I wouldnt have a problem with editing 20 odd grid boxes.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I have also had colonies defecting to me in the game with this mod (I started young tech 1, and the others expanding tech 3). But I also had colonies defecting in the last game without this mod.

Some way into the game, a large Zenox fleet and a medium space port with a couple of defensive bases wasted one each of my battle fleets. I seem to have underestimated my opposition somewhat [:D].

Return to “Design and Modding”