Playtesters wanted for 48.Pz.Korps!

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Oberst_Klink

Playtesters wanted for 48.Pz.Korps!

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Any volunteers for 48.Pz.Korps - Battles along the Chir? It's still the Beta, but thanks to Telumar and Prussian Tom I already got some feedback and refined and tweaked the scenario accordingly. There's no detailed description available yet, but just in case you need some info see -

Order Out of Chaos: A Case Study of the Application of Auftragstaktik by the 11th Panzer Division during the Chir River Battles 7-19 December 1942

kLiNk, Oberst

Updated .SCE
Attachments
48PK.zip
(145.49 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Foggy

RE: Playtesters wanted for 48.Pz.Korps!

Post by Foggy »

My favorite armored general - I'll bite :))
dazed and confused again!
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Foggy

My favorite armored general - I'll bite :))
Good show! Elmer is actually doing a good job. It's a fast & furious scenario, might look 'chaotic', but that's how it was. The scale and forces involved won't allow a continuous front line like in Rgt/Div unit sized sceanrios; but it captures the events more than OK'ish. The use of combined arms, speed and surprise is the key here - for both sides!
My Blog & on Twitter.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Is some of this in " Panzer Battles" by Von Manstein - sounds quite familar
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Von Melenthin - yes. But I discovered some discrepancies, which I have taken into account during the process of creating the scenario. I had to go through 16(!!!) detailed forum pages about a heated discussion what really happened back then. The TO&E is based on reports, a bit of guesswork (attrition, pestilence, divisional strength reports, etc.). The map is based on the boardgame with the same name.OOB from reports, RKKA as well as OKW situation maps and publications.
My Blog & on Twitter.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Sorry about that - Manstein went for the big picture - Melenthin was deployed in Africa as well as the East Front :) I believe that he finished on the Western Front - Army Group G? It's been many years since I read that book!
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Any other Balck scenarios you're working on? I have been looking fo quite some time for a Heinrici defensive scen - any thoughts?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Foggy

Any other Balck scenarios you're working on? I have been looking fo quite some time for a Heinrici defensive scen - any thoughts?
1st I need some feedback about 48PK, but yes - Kanev '43 would be a nice one or the battles for/around Kiev in late 43. Btl/Rgt size units, too.
My Blog & on Twitter.
PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

Count me in, although I'll have to go up against the PO untill I finish getting demolished in Tunisia . I'll need all available brain cells to PBEM this puppy. A very fine scenario! [&o][&o][&o]
There is no difference in ideology between the (American) Democrat & Republican Parties...only different special interest groups. They have one thing in common...self interest.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Herr Oberst,
Excellent!!  I expect this to become the standard short scenario. I just finished vs Elmer and had an overwhelming German victory.  Either I am getting better or Elmer was tired. 
Although the VP values may be biased for the Germans, the overall play balance seemed appropriate to the historic result.  I see an Elmer vs Elmer gives a Soviet victory.  I will be interested in PBEM results.

The Naval Postgraduate School Thesis "Order out of Chaos" by CPT Walters referenced in your post above made a very interesting read. I kept in mind the Auftragstaktic in the German planning. 

To put the Chir River in historic perspective, take a look at Pelle's Wintergewitter 1942 which takes place shortly after this scenario, starting 11Dec 1942 vic 67,31.

Looking forward to similar scenarios on a similar scale and Schwerpunkte.

Thanks again
Rob
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
ogar

Post by ogar »

To follow on Hpt Kunz' post,
I just finished a game as Soviets vs German PO -- significant victory for Soviets. But it cost most of 1 Tank Army to get that. The PO is tough, but predictable; as for PBEMs, I suspect it will be much tougher for the Soviets to pull out a win.

I know Klink is still tweaking this scenario, but the beta version is working well for me. Very nice scenario, Oberst K.

Thanks.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: ogar

To follow on Hpt Kunz' post,
I just finished a game as Soviets vs German PO -- significant victory for Soviets. But it cost most of 1 Tank Army to get that. The PO is tough, but predictable; as for PBEMs, I suspect it will be much tougher for the Soviets to pull out a win.

I know Klink is still tweaking this scenario, but the beta version is working well for me. Very nice scenario, Oberst K.

Thanks.
I uploaded the latest .SCE and .BMP on the 25/03/11 *see my edited post*

tm.asp?m=2763863&mpage=1&key=&#

Thanks for the feedback lads! Appreciate it!

kLiNk, Oberst

*F L A S H* The updated version somehow got no 'objectives' assigned. Happened during the re-import from the .GAM, No excuse though. Will be fixed by 2030B (CY).

kLiNk, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

I said it in the blog, and I'll say it here. This belongs in the "Tutorial" scenarios. It is a great play against the PO, and very instructive for dum-dums like me on how to chop up Soviets with a very small collection of chainsaws! [&o][&o][&o]. In my case, I had to disengage and use some of the scratch units (e.g. not 11th Panzer), to help in cutting the Soviet's supplies...I'm sure most of the pros could have accomplished the same thing with just one division! It took me 4 days to figure out what to do as Balack [8|]! Hopefully I'll only lose a few times before I can rack up a Russian victory against the PO. This scenario has a VERY good learning curve against Elmer...I shudder to think of what would happen to me in PBEM. [:'(]
There is no difference in ideology between the (American) Democrat & Republican Parties...only different special interest groups. They have one thing in common...self interest.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Funny, i wrote something similar in an e-mail conversation with the Oberst. It would be suited as a tutorial scenario.

The scenario is fun to play (just played as the Germans until now) and Soviet Elmer made me quite sweat. Just when i had cleared the situation on one end of the map with Balck's Panzers it started to burn on the other end. Also it's perfectly suited for the PO (contrary to my designs.. lol).
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

* B L I T Z * Updated version, this time with objectives for PO. *see attached* In case Elmer as 11.Pz.Div ain't too aggressive, change the formation stance to attack. Default is 'independent', to reflect the fire brigade use of the 11.Pz.Div.
Attachments
48PK.zip
(146.52 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I've played this as both sides now - I'm not Balck :)) Great scenario - cavarly is too strong as the Russians but that's a moot point!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I snatched this one to try it out but am getting the 'incomplete scenario' message. Was the 3-29 file the last update ?

Return to “Scenario Design”