Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

bdtj1815

RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea!

Post by bdtj1815 »

For £70. Why?
Wild

Post by Wild »

ORIGINAL: bdtj1815

For £70. Why?

Are you really that naive?
jomni

Post by jomni »

Is this turning into one of those pricing rants?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I hate to change the topic, but on the subject of Crimea--it is really irritating, and unrealistic, that once the railine is cut east of Crimea, you cannot use the rail within the Crimea. This makes it much more difficult than it should be to move troops via Kerch.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Maybe that's to simulate that the railcars and engines got stuck on the east side of the cut and there's none available in the west side?  Probably unrealistic to think that. 
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Maybe that's to simulate that the railcars and engines got stuck on the east side of the cut and there's none available in the west side?  Probably unrealistic to think that. 

Yeah, not very likely that very single locomotive and piece of rolling stock would be stuck in the east. Moreover, the Russians could presumably figure out how to ship a couple of locomotives into Sevastopol, Kerch, or one of the other ports in the Crimea.
Aussiematto

Post by Aussiematto »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You know what "bwheatley", you can quit your highjacking of my thread. Start your own whine-athon somewhere else.

Amen.

Now, back to the point:

I don't think you can ignore the Crimea in early 1941, because otherwise you surrender the initiative down there to the Russians. The trick is to ensure that the Russian can't tell what your intentions are. I've now played two games where the Russian defences on the lower Dnepr were strong enough that I was worried about diverting infantry to crack it -- therefore I've gone around the back, via D and Z towns, and am going to lever those swampy defenders south of Nikolaev out of position. problem is, I've basically shown my opponents I won't get the Crimea.

I think Rostov AND a bridgehead over the Don to the south is strategically more important in the long run, because in 1942-43 you are going to need to attack down into the Caucasus if you are serious about pushing for an Axis victory. Against almost any decent human opponent, you will never get across at Kerch, so probably yes, Crimea is for screening (just be ready to dash for it if your opponent reads your move).

historical point: (game history). In the old War in Europe (cardboard game), it was generally agreed that the Germans should get into and clear the Crimea no problems. What then occured, at the start of the 1942 offensive, was a very gamey move to crack the attack on Kerch. As Axis, you found your three most powerful offensive units (I think from memory 3 SS pz or Pzg units) to get the highest possible attack value and crossed your fingers and rolled the dice. There was, I think, no chance of getting a successful result unless you used these units and even if you did, it was not guaranteed. I never bothered trying... SS Pz units attacking across a strait? I don't think so.
I still remember cardboard!
goranw

Post by goranw »

Hi!
Crimea was important to the Germans also from other points than military.
1918 statistics showed 60 000 German inhabitants in Crimea.
In 1918 2/3 of farming area was owned by Germans. The farmings were very developed.The German hospital in Simferopol was widespread famous .
Soviet statistics from 1926 showed 43 600 Germans. Gradually down to 14000- 1940 after long persecution.
In aug. 1941 all Germans were deported to mostly the Caucasus area.
(source- Krim Research Website)
GoranW
Panama

Post by Panama »

The Soviets actually did make some strategic bombing strikes using their obsolete four engine bombers. Kind of a Doolittle Tokyo raid thing. Just enough to get the German's attention in your face thing. Don't know if they did any from Crimea but up north they did.

Can you imagine flying one of those big lumbering things in the dark over the Baltic to bomb Konigsberg? Ouch.

This: On 11 August and 13 August 1941, Zveno-SPB successfully damaged the King Carol I Bridge over Danube in Romania.[10] Zveno operations ended in the fall of 1942 due to high vulnerability of the motherships. (they carried I-16 fighters. also could carry and drop recce tanks)

Sorry if this was already mentioned. I didn't care to go through all the moaning and crying and defensive replies about who was right and who was wrong and what was broken. It's a program. I'm sure a lot was broken on release. That's why there are patches. Gamers tend to do things programmers can't even imagine. [;)]
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: randallw

You think it's easy to simulate history, to the point of no one complaining?  You demand too much.

Can't possibly recreate history with a turn based game. Just can't be done.
Panama

Post by Panama »

Why if a computer game is purchased at considerable cost is a "house rule" needed as mentioned many times in this thread? In my current pbem game, very graciously, my SU opponent is playing with a very restrictive "house rule" during "The Blizzard", are there any other recommended "house rules"

In the day of cardboard and paper our most strenuously enforced houserule was no liquids on the game table. Especially after the Great Tea Flood of 1941. [;)]
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

That and no kitties in the game room. [8D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

Or nephews...
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

That's more difficult...they'll whine to momma about it.......[:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Panama

Why if a computer game is purchased at considerable cost is a "house rule" needed as mentioned many times in this thread? In my current pbem game, very graciously, my SU opponent is playing with a very restrictive "house rule" during "The Blizzard", are there any other recommended "house rules"

In the day of cardboard and paper our most strenuously enforced houserule was no liquids on the game table. Especially after the Great Tea Flood of 1941. [;)]

And turn off the fan when bringing in a table. The Great Hurricane of 1983 ruined a game of Gleam of Bayonets.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

ORIGINAL: Mynok
That and no kitties in the game room. [8D]

My cat once ate the entire supply line of a German army about to take Kirovograd.
--
Del
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Put my Victory Games Civil War mapboard on the stairwell railing back in the day when I wasn't playing with it. Cat decided it was something she could walk on. Board, counters, and cat all disappeared like Wyle E. going over a cliff. We were finding counters in odd corners for months.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Great game, wish it could have been ported somehow.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Agreed. Several of those Victory Games were very good, but would have been hard to computerize for PBEM due to the impluse nature of them. Vietnam is one I still have that I wish I could play.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”