What would be nice...

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

gappa

What would be nice...

Post by gappa »

Imagine that your tank has been hit and the crew bails out and to be even more happier your crew has been machine-gunned :p.

Now imagine that you have crew from the same tank...would't it be nice to order these crew to enter the empty tank and continue their fight?

I just think it would be more realistic...

The same goes with other vehicles...
It is nice to be important
but is it more
important to be nice.

Gappa
Jim1954

Post by Jim1954 »

Crews will sometimes re-occupy a vehicle/piece of ordnance , they jusy seem to do it in their own sweet time. They are not real fond of re-occupying anything that doesn't have functioning armament, though.

Put the unit in the same hex as the vehicle/support piece and manually rally it till it won't rally anymore. Let it sit and if you're lucky, and the crew doesn't get blown away, then they jusy might crawl back in after a time.
Jim1954
KMC/T
Greg McCarty

Post by Greg McCarty »

I actually recall a canmpaign game in which an opposing Jgdpz V
was struck and immobilized by an air attack. The crew abandonned the vehicle. As I advanced into the area sometime
shortly thereafter, I found the jadpz V to be reoccupied by the crew, who were now effectively firing the main gun at my approaching tanks, knocking one out. These things do happpen.
Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata
tracer

Post by tracer »

I have had crews who were not from the abandoned vehicle re-occupy it. They were from another vehicle in the same formation though.
Jim NSB ImageImage
gnoccop

Post by gnoccop »

Originally posted by tracer
I have had crews who were not from the abandoned vehicle re-occupy it. They were from another vehicle in the same formation though.
Are you sure?
If it's true this is a good news!
I know that only the original crew can re occupy abandoned vehicle.
"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)
Irinami

Post by Irinami »

I KNOW you can't occupy a foreign vehicle (though you may disable it)... though I'd love nothing more than to do that. XD And I've never had any luck reoccupying a vehicle of my own side that was abandoned by anyone but the original crew. Then again, I haven't bailed out so chaotically since I played the Flesh & Steel campaign, so...

I'd love to see some hard data on whether or not allied forces in the same formation (or not?) can reoccupy a vehicle.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb
Figmo

Post by Figmo »

I've read of many cases where a commander will take over another tank in his unit after his was disabled. But have only been able to get the unit that left the tank to re-enter it. I have had a kubelwagen bale out on purpose - put out smoke so other unnits can move up - then re-enter the kubelwagen and do recon somewhere else.

I also kill ALL enemy crews to avoid them re-entering their tanks - a tank in your rear that comes back alive can be deadly.

Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

You couldn't have. Crews will ONLY re-occupy their own vehicle, no others. :confused:

Figmo, it's enough if you kill one of the crew. If they suffer casualties they won't get back in. OTOH, the points for killing them all is nice. :D
Got StuG?
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

I'd disagree about crews that lose crewmembers won't reoccupy vehicles/weapons. Afaik the only requirement is that the crew unit is unsuppressed and at the same hex as the abandoned unit at the end of computer's turn. Then they will reoccupy the unit automatically.

Of course if you have only 1 crewmember alive then you won't get very many shots...

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

Da. I've tried and tried to get surplus crew to hop into another track (you'd think they'd *want* to, having had to get out of their nice warm steel womb and shiver in the bullet'n'fragment cold light of day), but only the original crew has gotten back in. (Although I've had crew lose two members, run six hexes, and finally rally back to get into an immobilised tank with no functioning weapons a couple times. <G>)

What was annoying was the stupid engineers deciding to destroy MechaGodzilla (Godzilla Island scenario) after it had been immobilised, lost one weapon, crew bailed and subseqently slaughtered... (**** *right* I'm not letting them get back in that thing!) I wanted something cool to bring back as a souvenier...

Guns (flak, AT and arty) appear to be much easier to convince the crew to get back in the saddle. I've hosed crews down by 70-80% and still had 'em get back on the job as soon as I changed targets. <grumble> Or, even worse, they rally to the point of close-assaulting the attacking vehicle (or some innocent passerby) and destroy it *as crew*. <insert cursing here>
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Voriax
I'd disagree about crews that lose crewmembers won't reoccupy vehicles/weapons. Afaik the only requirement is that the crew unit is unsuppressed and at the same hex as the abandoned unit at the end of computer's turn. Then they will reoccupy the unit automatically.

Of course if you have only 1 crewmember alive then you won't get very many shots...

Voriax
Then again, if the crew has suffered casualties will they ever go back to 0 suppression? :rolleyes:

I still don't think they will. Anyone have data to back either statement up?
Got StuG?
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

Originally posted by Belisarius

Then again, if the crew has suffered casualties will they ever go back to 0 suppression? :rolleyes:
Perhaps better choice of words is "go to 'ready' status" This allows for few points of suppression, afaik. Doesn't really change the fact that I always try to rally my crews and get them back to the gun/tank, no matter how many men are left. Sometimes I've managed to rally a crew twice and recrew a gun...it was fun to fire at enemy tanks that had bypassed this gun :)

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Capt. Pixel

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Really!! I've tried this several times in the much more sterile situation of test games where I specifically switched bounced crews to different vehicles. I never once could get a crew to re-enter a vehicle that wasn't theirs to begin with. Not once, no sir. :p

A crew WILL re-enter their original vehicle if their supression has dropped to better than pinned. They will do this regardless of the status of the abandoned vehicle or the current size of the crew (excepting 0, of course). Everytime. :cool:

(The AI does seem to avoid re-crewing if you've machine-gunned the crew so that they're retreating. They don't seem to come back very well. But a human opponent just needs to get them back into the vehicle's hex and keep them rallied.)
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”