Invasion Problems

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

santino250

Invasion Problems

Post by santino250 »

Does anyone know how to defeat Areas controlled by large pockets of defence troops...?

For Ex. I invaded Clark Airbase, which has around 70,000 in total Jap defense forces... I invaded with over 8 divisions, and many other forces,tanks, Combat engineers, FA, ect.. all trained to 100. about 180,000 troops total, and I can not beat them... I have been fighting for over 1 month and have lost a large amount of men and have not lowered the defense from 9....

This is very unrealistic!!! The US was usually able to invade with a 1/2 ratio and win with under 15% casualties.. even though there were instances of higher casualties, but on average...

IN China, I have one battle that has lasted for 3 years.. I have over 300,000 men to the jap 100,000 and neither of us can win??

And supplies do not seem to matter, because I have had no supplies in China for 3 years...

Is there a good stategy Guide out there that is better than the Guide that came with the game??
santino
jeffk3510

RE: Invasion Problems

Post by jeffk3510 »

Do you HAVE to have it or can you bypass it?
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Santino -

A few tips on reducing garrisons
1. Eliminate land and sea based resupply.
2. Bomb the base (port and airfield) to 100% to reduce supply stockpile and CAP / Sweep to prevent air resupply.
3. Regularly bomb the troops from as low an altitude as possible. Keep reducing altitude slowly to monitor AA effectiveness.
4. Land and naval Bombard attack as fequently as possible.

You will notice a point where the enemy AA becomes far less effective and enemy counter bombardment no longer gets casualties at any meaningful rate. This generally means supply is falling to the point of scarcity and disruption is high. By this point, you should know exactly the troops they have and their AV, due to all your attacks. Begin regular deliberate and potentially shock attacks...and dont let up on the rest of items. large 4e campaigns can be very effective in increasing disruption and destroying supply stores.

HOpe this helps;.
Andy M
santino250

Post by santino250 »

It seems there are way to many Areas that need to be bypassed.. none of which are the same as WW2 the Phillipenes, IOWA, Okinawa what can be invaded sucessfully? It just is not realistic..

If we can't topple those cities, than what chance is there in japans mainland
santino
santino250

Post by santino250 »

Andy,

What do you mean by 4e Campains??
santino
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

4 engine bombers...B24, B29 etc. i think you said you were the Allies correct?
Andy M
santino250

Post by santino250 »

Andy

Yes Allied...

Why is it so much harder for the allied now, than it was for the japs in the beginning.. they did not need to do any prep before there invasions...
santino
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Their experience, TOE, commanders, and morale versus the allied sames at the beginning of the war. It matters big time.
Andy M
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Also if they have a loit of engineers, they can rebuild fort levels inbetween your attacks, and you never get anywhere. That is one of the reasons you bomb the base into oblivian. It occasionally reduces supply stockpile, and fort levels cannot be built when the base has to be repaired.
Andy M
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: santino250

It seems there are way to many Areas that need to be bypassed.. none of which are the same as WW2 the Phillipenes, IOWA, Okinawa what can be invaded sucessfully? It just is not realistic..

If we can't topple those cities, than what chance is there in japans mainland
Invading IOWA would be a bad idea!

I think you have to kill off LCU in the outer defence zone, attrit AK as soon as you can and cut off supplies to your target.

Manouvre rather than frontal attack.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Don't forget combat engineers!  They work to reduce the enemy fortification level when included in a deliberate or shock attack.  They can usually drop the forts faster than the defenders can rebuild them.....
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: santino250

This is very unrealistic!!! The US was usually able to invade with a 1/2 ratio and win with under 15% casualties.. even though there were instances of higher casualties, but on average...

Not to be appear overly ignorant ... but which invasions were those?

All the ones I am familiar with are like Iwo Jima: ~18,000 IJA, ~60,000 Marines. 3.4:1, but with the firepower difference closer to the classic 4:1 you should have for an invasion. At least, that's how I was taught back in the old days ...
Pax
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I didn't realize we invaded at a 1:2 ratio....[8|] that is suicide IMHO....
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Marcus_Antonius

Post by Marcus_Antonius »

Remember you are playing one or two day turns at most. And some of these large attacks on heavily fortified areas will take weeks or even months to ultimately succeed. In the course of these fights you are going to be managing your assets in the hex every turn over the long haul before you finally grind the other side down and mop him up.

This isn't the typical strategic game where you merely pile your assets as high as you can and win in one throw of the die.

Return to “The War Room”