Herman, please don't crash the server

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
TonyE

Herman, please don't crash the server

Post by TonyE »

Gee Herman, perhaps you could resist the temptation and not crash the MP server I put up? That'd be greatly appreciated going forward and your actions in the last few hours were not appreciated.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

RE: Herman, please don't crash the server

Post by TonyE »

This people, is a main reason why running a server outside of Herman's realm is an extra large pain...

Attachments
HH2.jpg
HH2.jpg (82.94 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Tony,

I don´t understand what has happened. What has he done ? And if he really does bad things, you simply can deny access to the server - can´t you?

Ron Belcher

Post by Ron Belcher »

Hmmmm...

I would like to know Herman's point of view, as well. Why hasn't Herman posted anything in awhile?!

Herman.. come in please and give us your point of view! Where are you??? [>:]???
Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Tactician,
ORIGINAL: tactician93612

Hmmmm...

I would like to know Herman's point of view, as well. Why hasn't Herman posted anything in awhile?!

Herman.. come in please and give us your point of view! Where are you??? [>:]???

Herman cannot answer here. He is banned from this side, like from two other major Harpoon sites (Harpgamer, Warfaresims), since several months/ a long time.

That is why asked Tony to explain what exactly happened.
Little Beavers

Post by Little Beavers »

It would appear than a ban feature is needed for the MP version.  
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

I do not know exactly what Herman did. I do know that he has great influence over servers running with PDB and he doesn't need to be nosing around a HUD3 server testing his various bugs and crashing the server in the process.

What I do know that his actions crashed the server multiple times. The bad thing is that means he can crash the server at will and interrupt any game in progress.

The scripting I've done to help automatically recover from the crashes will lessen impact but if he will still have the ability to crash at will.

As for Herman's side of the story he'll say that the server shouldn't crash. I agree but "we have to play with the game that we have, not the game that we want" and that requires effort. So far I can't even load a saved game without crashing the server but starting new sessions and running from scenario start is functioning. Since I don't have a good report to make (I've only tried one save) I can't make grand statements about any flaws other than to say the MP server software isn't as stable as I'd like and as it stands will require action on the players' part to optimize the experience (to be detailed in the Server topic as we discover what helps and what hinders).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Ron Belcher

Post by Ron Belcher »

[X(] Banned !?

What the heck !? I personally consider Herman a true Harpoon devotee/fan. What possibly could
he have done to deserve such ill fate? It's not my concern. Nor is this the place to go into detaill.
Let's just stay focused on HEU and the benefit of such an awesome game!

I'm here to support HEU in any way possible...[&o]

With that being said... I have to add...

If this game crashes simply because someone logs in, we've got serious problems! [:(]
Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

If this game crashes simply because someone logs in, we've got serious problems! [:(]

Good thing it doesn't crash just because someone logs in.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

[X(] Banned !?

What the heck !? I personally consider Herman a true Harpoon devotee/fan.

He is. Actually, he is the best bug finder around (just check my sig. for the list and some workarounds). I guess he just stumbled upon another one.

True, but blame Herman is easier than looking for the actual problem. It is the accepted party line over here [:)]

Anyway, this is worth checking for real (not that the rest isn't... [8|]) It is not the first time I hear some disturbing reports re: patch 3.10 and MP. I guess some serious tests are in order.
FreekS

Post by FreekS »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if i crashed the server, but here is what i did

Found the ip adress on Matrix games in Tonys post o 3/19/2011
Entered with Harpoon3Client_3101.exe
Typed in some chat lines to see if comms worked, OK
Tried to start a session
Did not get past this message, so I hit quit
Nothing happened in harpoon, but on my desktop there was a message
Harpoon3 Advanced Naval warfare: Unhandled exception.

So if i crashed the server i apologise, i was trying to go through the motions of starting a standard game. If as a PDB designer i am not authorised to access this server, then i apologise also, just wanted to verify if the server works with 310.

Freek

Freek
ORIGINAL: TonyE

Gee Herman, perhaps you could resist the temptation and not crash the MP server I put up? That'd be greatly appreciated going forward and your actions in the last few hours were not appreciated.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Works for me, and at that over a bluetooth connection through my phone!

Read my posts gents, I didn't say it was hard to crash the server. Herman's activities on the server were clearly with the intent to see if the server crashed based on specific steps he laid out and he can do that on his own servers so he should test on those, not on mine. In other words he fully intended to crash the server.

Attachments
Srvr.jpg
Srvr.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Vincenzo_Beretta

ORIGINAL: TonyE
Herman's activities on the server were clearly with the intent to see if the server crashed based on specific steps he laid out

Define "clearly". Because, the way I see it, the problem appears when one A) logs in and B) stars a session. Hardly William Gibson's stuff.
and he can do that on his own servers so he should test on those, not on mine. In other words he fully intended to crash the server.

Knowing how someone can "crash the server" can be a good first step in fixing the problem, you know [:)] Then again, I admit that blaming some "evil magic" is quickier and easier [:)]
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Herman was in a session testing out various approaches to causing trouble. For me that was clear evidence.

I have not blamed any magic.

If someone actually wanted to benefit the testing they would be working together with the person running the server to capture the situations. You are not, Herman is not, Freek is not.

Nice try though, have fun with the thread, I've said my piece.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

Well, not sure this is the right place to post, but I´ve tried to connect to Tony´s server and I am disconnected.I suffered some issue that Freeks explained.

Regards
One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Definitely not the place to post, that'd be on the server topic or at harpgamer. Yes, it did go kerplut <g>.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
aotino

Post by aotino »

Don't know if it helps, but I just crashed the server in the same way Freek and Herman did.
Vincenzo_Beretta

ORIGINAL: koelbach
Herman cannot answer here. He is banned from this side, like from two other major Harpoon sites (Harpgamer, Warfaresims), since several months/ a long time.

This is not a difficult feat to pull: you only need a pied piper and a bunch of people dancing to the tune without even listening to it [:)]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vincenzo,
ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

ORIGINAL: koelbach

This is not a difficult feat to pull: you only need a pied piper and a bunch of people dancing to the tune without even listening to it [:)]

I only explained why Herman cannot answer here. No reason to start another flame war and insulting people.

Keep it civil.

Regards,
Ralf
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Vincenzo,
ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

True, but blame Herman is easier than looking for the actual problem. It is the accepted party line over here

Herman was banned for violating the forum rules, which were clearly posted. The above quotes are very close to crossing that line as well. Consider yourself warned. Discussing issues and problems constructively is fine. Sniping at the developers and/or community is not.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”