Disbanding Soviet SAD air bases

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Scarz

Disbanding Soviet SAD air bases

Post by Scarz »

I have noticed that many advocate disbanding the SAD air bases early. Why these particular airbases?

Also, I notice that many of my air bases as Soviets do not support ground attacks, is this just a low probability until the training gets better, or do the differing air bases have an effect? While the rules explain the uses of WS air bases, they are not very specific on the others. Will a fight unit in a BAD air base not fly an interdiction mission or CAP?

Thanks.
"When in doubt, lash out."
Altaris

RE: Disbanding Soviet SAD air bases

Post by Altaris »

I could be wrong (not really a Soviet fanboi), but I think those SAD bases get withdrawn anyway, so the idea is to clear up them out and get the trucks back early (Soviets are in real need of trucks early on). I like clearing out the Corps HQs early on for the same reason.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

They do start disbanding on their own after awhile.

I keep some though as a staging base.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
jomni

Post by jomni »

I keep them until they are auto disbanded.  I have no problems with trucks so I'm not spending AP to free them.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

I think that any air base can support any of the aircraft, no matter what they are called. VVS bases are used by the computer AI to supply partisans, but other than that...

Marquo
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Yep. But the AI will use planes at certain other bases for supply if the VVS don't have enough.

"If those night mission enabled air group units attached to VVS air base units are not
sufficient to meet the partisan needs, then transport and level bomber air group units set to
night missions and attached to DBAD, AD DD, GAD DD, and GDBAD air base units may be
selected by the computer to also transport supplies to partisan units."

I generally put them at the right bases for historical flavor.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Scarz

Post by Scarz »

Thanks for the replies. I have not noticed my SAD bases being auto disbanded by the computer. I thought they just got reclassified based upon the air units inside them. So a SAD predominatly made of fighters got renamed as a IAD etc.
CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

I generally put them at the right bases for historical flavor.

+1.
Though I do it merely to keep things organized. It's easier to maintain proper ranges to the front when you're sure that IAD=fighters, SAD=TacBs, BAD=LvlB and DBAD/VVS=Transports and long-range bombers.

Saves me from looking at each base every turn, since I'm not really a micro-management kind of guy.
"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder
jomni

Post by jomni »

My SADs get auto disbanded in June 42.  The air groups attached get sent to national reserve. So I will spend APs to bring them back to the front. Maybe that's what other people are trying to avoid.
CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane »

ORIGINAL: jomni

My SADs get auto disbanded in June 42.  The air groups attached get sent to national reserve. So I will spend APs to bring them back to the front. Maybe that's what other people are trying to avoid.

Doesn't matter since you don't spend APs on assigning airgroups.
So disbanding the SAD airbases earlier than 6/42 is a trade-off. You spend APs on disbanding, but gain trucks for the pool.
All a matter of what you have a more pressing need for.
Me, I rarely have truck-problems, so the SADs stay until the computer disbands them.
"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder
jomni

Post by jomni »

Good to hear.
randallw

Post by randallw »

If you are not getting ground support you need to check the Ground Support setting ( so it's clicked to 'on' ).

The aircraft also need enough range to get to the battle hex and return home.
Scarz

Post by Scarz »

Is there an easy way to check range? I have not seen a way to do that.
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Scar23

Click the base in recon mode or any air attack mode and you will see shaded areas just like movement limits in movement mode. But range is all relative and fluid due to the staging base concept.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

I was running out of manpower in Oct41. I disbanded about 17 of the SAD airbases. This allowed all of the freed up manpower to be made into 130,000 extra front line men.

If your not desperate for manpower, then the AP expenditure is probably not worth it.
Scarz

Post by Scarz »

ORIGINAL: jomni
ORIGINAL: Scar23

Click the base in recon mode or any air attack mode and you will see shaded areas just like movement limits in movement mode. But range is all relative and fluid due to the staging base concept.

Thanks.

Return to “The War Room”