Bagration

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

samthesham

Bagration

Post by samthesham »

History shows that in turn 2, Minsk fell. I am not seeing it. I am not getting even to Mogilev on turn 1. Attacking a german infantry division with 132000 men, it still loses less than 1/2 of its strength in a weeks worth of fighting. I am guessing some adjustments need to be made here?
Gandalf

RE: Bagration

Post by Gandalf »

I'm assuming you mean adjustments in your game play style. [:)] There are threads where other player/gamers have stated they are taking Minsk on turn 1.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

I took Minsk in Turn 2 and Smolensk at the end of turn 3. I used HQ build up and air dropped fuel and some supplies to the Center Panzer Groups. Plus avoided any combat with the mobile forces whenever possible. Now I'm hoping to hold the Smolensk corridor open while my Infantry catches up.

Over extending your reach to take objectives can work if you plan, but holding on may be another thing. I'm endanger of being encircled but just might have enough to keep the supply lines open if they don't counter attack. It's against the AI in Normal.
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

Umm, I think you did not catch the point that the poster is playing the Bagration scenario, not Barbarossa, and he is playing as the Russians, not as the Germans.
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

I was intrigued by this challenge of getting to Minsk on turn one. This was just my first attempt, but I made it to within 20 miles. I could probably do better with some practice.

Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 14 times
samthesham

Post by samthesham »

That is a fantastic post. And yea, I am talking 1944, not 1941. Looks like the breakthrough was north of Mogilev, not through it. I will see what I can do.

It is fair to say there is a huge learning curve here.
randallw

Post by randallw »

Even though a turn in the game is a week long it doesn't mean a battle lasts a week.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

If the Germans want to defend the city, Minsk on turn 2 isn't going to be possible as you'd need to isolate the defenders. However, if I were the Germans I'd probably get the heck out of there. You're already going to lose, at the least, the infantry divisions (partisans will blow up the rail lines, so they can't rail out, and they don't have enough MP's to escape) in the Mogilev area and probably those near Vitebsk too, so losing more by holding Minsk doesn't sound like a good idea. If you destroy 10-15 divisions in the first few turns, the Germans are knee deep in excrement.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Return to “The War Room”