ATG Random Game Highlights

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

RE: Current 4 Human/4 AI ATG Random Test Game

Post by Tac2i »

ORIGINAL: Westheim

So, if you start with few cities you basically have no chance of winning a game, since you will never be able to produce in captured cities (beyond the few you start with). Sounds like it breaks the game for me.

It is interesting that you mention 'few cities' because in some of the test games I've played against the AI and a couple of ongoing games against human players, these are the options that were chosen: medium map and deserted lands (few cities). On a medium map, this means each player has three cities. You find that you have to carefully manage your production as you can't do everything at once or quickly. If you establish an alliance and trade research, that part of the game can advance more quickly, especially if players refrain from going to war early. The geography of the map (mountains, rivers, etc.) and the layout of the land masses has a large bearing on a particular regime's war planning. Maps are always different, skill of players varied, and coupled with the variability of timing of operational events as players move and engage, this all comes together to impact game play. This is why I enjoy AT/ATG random games so much.

I think I understand where you are coming from in your comments but I believe you'll be surprised at how fun and operationally interesting ATG random games can be. Loss of a city is damaging to the player that lost it and enhances the capabilities of the regime that captured it, just not to the extent of the original AT. What I usually do when I capture an enemy city is set it to produce Political Points and then reduce by the same amount the number of PPs at one of my native cities so I can construct more combat units.

With all the options available for random games in ATG, re-playability is really a very strong point. I'm excited to see this game get released and hear the feedback from a much wider audience of players. Like almost all computer games, if something isn't working as intended or isn't resulting in fun game play, the game gets tweaked till it does.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
CSO_Talorgan

RE: ATG Random Game Highlights

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

no more one hex islands. The minimum island size is three hexes

Presumably this refers to random games only?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

ORIGINAL: Webizen

no more one hex islands. The minimum island size is three hexes

Presumably this refers to random games only?

Yes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

The whole thread is random games only.
My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Yes

Phew!
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Yep... that is all I addressed in my original post: random games. Perhaps one of the testers that designs scenarios will drop by and start a thread about the new editor.
ORIGINAL: Grymme

The whole thread is random games only.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Arditi

Post by Arditi »

Not to worry guys.  If you were a fan of AT you will love ATG I bet.[:D]
  Respectfully, Arditi
Semper Fi
www.ironlegions.weebly.com
author of: Italy At War: Uniforms, Weapons,
Equipment and Ephemera

Released!
Japan At War: Uniforms, Weapons,
Equipment and Ephemera
jomni

Post by jomni »

I like the big hex with multiple counters.
Looks like you're getting some ideas for modern board wargames.
Counter stacking on small hexes is old school.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

A little question, is the OOB display as in AT or as the used on DC??? thanks.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

A little question, is the OOB display as in AT or as the used on DC??? thanks.

Same as AT.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I see, thanks for the information Barthheart, well, only can wait more screenshoots or the full game soon hehehe.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Will ARHS still work or will that be obsolete?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

My guess is that it would work with AT Classic included in ATG, but not ATG itself. Needs to be tested.

Edit [03-31]: A recent fix has enabled ATG to load the ARHS_WW2.ptmaster file without error so it can be used to create AT Classic random games.

Edit: I tried to load the ARHS_WW2.ptmaster in AT Classic and that didn't work. Gives an "aborted" message. I was able to start a ARHS game in AT:WWII, save it and then open that save game in ATG's AT Classic mode. Perhaps the designer of ARHS can edit/repackage the ARHS_WW2.ptmaster to work in ATG's AT Classic. I'm not a scenario designer so I'm pretty uninformed about all that technical design stuff.

P.S. I'm so use to the beauty of the ATG maps that now the AT:WWII maps look absolutely dull in comparison. I'd be surprised that anyone would wish to play on AT:WWII maps after they get their hands on ATG.
ORIGINAL: rich12545

Will ARHS still work or will that be obsolete?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

deleted.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Another screenie...

Attachments
atg001.jpg
atg001.jpg (388.96 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lancer

Post by lancer »

G'day,

Pretty.

How do factories work? Same as before? There appears to be a tank factory in the screenshot above.

Oh, and how do they tie into the resource system?

Also in the shot above there is a grey armoured car unit ('5') with an 'art' symbol on it, bottom left of the counter. Is this simply indicating that there is an artillery component to the unit?

Cheers,
Lancer
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

ORIGINAL: lancer
Also in the shot above there is a grey armoured car unit ('5') with an 'art' symbol on it, bottom left of the counter. Is this simply indicating that there is an artillery component to the unit?

In DC WtP those "art" & "air" symbols indicates that a unit was shot/attacked by the
appropriate weapon. So i´m guessing its the same in ATG.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yeah I guess that's so, the "air' and "art" symbols were implemented to prevent pulverization by air and artillery attacks. You know, stack 12 heavy guns together and blast the enemy unit to smithereens, then the divebombers come in to take out the panzers, rinse and repeat. Not so with the penalties you get from too massive shelling, I think 100 max is allowed. Enough to do some damage, but not to obliterate the unit.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

There are three types of factories: gun, plane and tank. Factories work basically just like a city except that it can produce only one type of unit. Whenever you construct any unit that requires metal, it consumes ore. If you run out of ore, you can't build any more ore based unit types. Any time a motorized unit (air, land or sea) moves, it consumes oil (exception: trains - they use coal and that never runs out). Run out of oil and motorized units move very little if at all. In more than one test game I've had offensives stall because I ran short of oil. This happened primarily because I built too many trucks, tanks and planes. What this meant in game terms is that I had to not move units on one front so that I had enough fuel to move my motorized units on another part of the battlefield. I've also learned to use more trains vice trucks and I've learned to like that four legged animal called a horse.

Oil and ore resource hexes have three levels and you can spend PPs to increase the level (production capacity) of both types. The enemy can also bomb or capture your resource hexes.

The "art" symbol indicates that I bombarded that hex with my artillery.
ORIGINAL: lancer

G'day,

Pretty.

How do factories work? Same as before? There appears to be a tank factory in the screenshot above.

Oh, and how do they tie into the resource system?

Cheers,
Lancer
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Josh

Post by Josh »

"...This happened primarily because I built too many trucks, tanks and planes. .......  I've also learned to use more trains vice trucks and I've learned to like that four legged animal called a horse..."

Valuable lessons I learned in AT, guess they still count in ATG. And I've said this on many occasions, the shiny stuff may look awesome it *will* eat up your resources. Especially now with the added resources thing. In the end I almost always built armies that were quite historical (for the Germans that is) A strong Panzerarmee, but the vast majority was still footsoldiers and horses.
Of 10 units maybe one was fully motorized, and certainly not in the beginning of the game. The trick is to place the slow units strategically, and do the fast encirclements with the fancy armour boys.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”