POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Igard

POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds?

Post by Igard »

Poll is now closed.

Time for a poll, I think. I'd like to get an idea of what the gamers want next from Distant Worlds. Perhaps this will help Elliot and the team get a better understanding of our priorities.

This is a bit of a test run (I've never done one before). We'll see how things go with this, just treat it as a bit of fun for now. There are some answers that are more ambiguous than others, but if you select where you want the game to focus, then we should get an idea.

If I've missed any crucial items off the list of answers, just let me know and I'll include it in the next poll.

You may select 3 answers. [:)]

View poll
tjhkkr

RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds?

Post by tjhkkr »

I am not sure anyone else would want this, but more weapons control in modding... (to hit/to kill/range).
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Wow, ermm... 3 isn't enough lol
But if I have to choose only 3 it'll be
1. AI Improvements
2. Bigger Galaxy
3. Modding

In that order
Close 4th would be more techs and components, but if extra modding is done right, the community can do that themselves
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

I am not sure anyone else would want this, but more weapons control in modding... (to hit/to kill/range).

Of course, we all want that TJ. Can't be too specific with a poll though.

I could update the poll without the mod support and AI improvements as I think they're gonna win easily. Stand by, we'll see what the results show tomorrow.[;)]
Abraxis

Post by Abraxis »

I can't believe the Personell crew/captains/admirals (leaders/characters) vote isn't doing better.  It would do amazing things for giving all your ships personality, actually caring when something get's destroyed rather than just annoyed at having to rebuild it.

It would make the game so much more immersive too as each captain would have his own history and story in your head.

I'm usually one to encourage focusing on core aspects such as AI and modability, but as far as added features go, this is at the top of my list for sure.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

I VOTED!!!!  GO VOTE!!!! LOL

I voted for more Diplomacy.  That should come as no surprise to anyone that has read any of my posts.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Abraxis
I can't believe the Personell crew/captains/admirals (leaders/characters) vote isn't doing better. It would do amazing things for giving all your ships personality

I agree... I wish there were more character style things in here. That is the one place where Rebellion leads this. But the fact is that CodeForce has kicked tail in so many other ways, I do not want to complain.

Actually, the one piece of technology I wish they would add is a cloaking device... but would that ever lead to a coding mess... I actually did code in a cloaking device in one of my games... sensors/weapons/how long for the ship to be vulnerable as she decloaked... if you do not have those factored in and make it with real weaknesses, it would over-dominate the game.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Data

Post by Data »

I managed to respect the three votes rule.....barely [:)]
Great idea Igard, no suprise coming from you
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Nice. I had seriously hard time choosing the third option. More diplomacy and leader characters were no-brainers for me.
I was so close to choose mod support to help the antsy modders, but my obsession of customizing my empires ships got better of me. Thus, more components and techs was my third choice.
More exploration, random events was also a tempting choice.

My opinion on AI is that it's slowly fixed in patches and you shouldn't think about it when considering what to add in expansions.
Popularity of more modding support really wasn't a surprise. Hope you guys get what you want. [:)]
Modding has always been thing that I love in PC gaming. Gives new live to many old classics (Freelancer is a nice example).
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

1: Mod support.
2: Mod support.
3: Mod support.

Eh, I can only click once.

Diplomacy could use some work. See if one can find a somewhat improved war/peace/ally/reputation thing.
Improved AI should be a continuous effort, so having it here is a bit... boring.

Sure, som other stuff. Bigger galaxy map (not stars), a worked over ship design screen (60 clicks to swap 30 of one item to another type...). Fleets made out of fleets, 2 levels of structures above single ships. There is some stuff, but modding is the big thing. User designed quick starts...
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I chose the Personnel option but would also be happy if ships gained experience like troops do.

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Very hard to choose just 3 from the list.  Of that selection I oddly didn't vote for mod support because there were three other things I preferred [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

With a non-cheating AI, I think introducing fancy mechanisms (like ship experience), would just make the AI worse. And the DW AI don't cheat, right?

Human players would nurse some starting ships. Send them on every early pirate base, have them gain combat experience. Carefully monitoring them so they don't die. Nurse experience into them. Once you get larger shipyards, you of course retro fit this ship to become larger, making a few totally badass capital ships with experience from every skirmish in the game.

The AI would be stupid as usual, and lose their ships often so they don't gain experience. They would for sure not send ships on training missions to bust pirate bases all over the world with the thought of making them into super capital ships in the far future.
thiosk

Post by thiosk »

I voted, but this poll fails as theres no option for "More green-skinned alien babes with huge boobs and multiple navels"
Merker

Post by Merker »

Easy pickin':
1. MORE DIPLOMACY options. A MUST for my style, always wasting precious time in useless political meetings with smelly aliens who smoke huge cigars.
2. Ship boardin' and cappin' - A MUST for The !!!PIRATES OF PESTULON!!!
3. Crew stuff and leaders -I'd love to leave some random admiral patrol around that backwater region of space pirates keep coming from, and not bother giving him any more orders.

Cheers
Image[/img]
Data

Post by Data »

I forgot to mention my options: modability, crew and leaders and ship boardin' and cappin' [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Igard

Post by Igard »

Results thus far.

Attachments
results110311.jpg
results110311.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 424 times
mg62

Post by mg62 »

Personnel, leaders & experience was my main vote.  In WitP-AE Matrix has leaders, pilots with different ratings.  Also the ability to train pilots. 

A squadron of torpedo bombers with experienced pilots is far more deadly then unexperienced pilots.
Data

Post by Data »

Nice feedback, Igard....so this is how you do it for fun and for the first time, eh? You got serious skills [:)]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

My votes are in:

1. More modding support (imagine that [:'(] )
2. More race species types
3. More components.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”