BBs in invasion forces???

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

vinnie71

BBs in invasion forces???

Post by vinnie71 »

Ok I'm playing Da Babes as the allies and am in the second half of '42 - the counterattack begins!!![:)]

One quick question to understand how other players use their BBs. Do you actually put a BB in invasion TFs? Or do you concentrate them in Bombardment squadrons to aid invasions?

Some of the old (22 speed) BBs can actually accompany invasion TFs. So I put one in the invasion forces of Ponape and Kusaei. At Ponape there was a coastal gun unit, which inflicted substantial damage on the BB and 1 xAP. though the BB was in no danger of sinking, it still requires 45 days of repairs.

So do people use BBs as close support and as damage sponges as well in invasion TFs???
castor troy

RE: BBs in invasion forces???

Post by castor troy »

light and heavy cruisers are doing this job for me.
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

They are very effective at it, but also very vulnerable.

I'm not sure I'll be doing it anymore, a cruiser or two seems to be adequate. Means the old Omahas have a useful purpose.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

BBs seem to attract fire and may be too slow to get out of the way, or so it seems.

So basically its better to have them concentrated in bombardment squadrons, right?
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I have been putting them in my invasion TFs. They take and shrug off most all of the CD hits. I would rather use CAs and CLs in my surface fights as the old BBs just seem to get hammered. Matter of taste, I suppose.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

I use 80% of battleships for bombardment duty, and one or two older for invasions along with a few CA's or CL's. Can't remember all the Allied CL's but don't use the Boise class for this,
they are best served as a raider against Destroyers or other fast attack ships that can disrupt a landing. Put in a battleship you know you can "lose to repairs". As a Japanese Player, I am using those 18knot CL's that are pretty much useless otherwise and serve great for landing supression.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I have been putting them in my invasion TFs. They take and shrug off most all of the CD hits. I would rather use CAs and CLs in my surface fights as the old BBs just seem to get hammered. Matter of taste, I suppose.

Same here, love those old BB's...

Attachments
2011BB35.jpg
2011BB35.jpg (463.8 KiB) Viewed 178 times
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

"Don't mess with Texas!" right?
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

USS Texas.

Visited her back in 1996 when the Oilers were thinking about leaving for Tennessee. A reporter and I traveled down there for a pre season game plus talk to the locals about their thoughts on Bud. That was the preseason game that was cancelled because the turf was rolling up. I was pissed.
ORIGINAL: Lrfss

Same here, love those old BB's...

Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

Hey nashvillen, I see you hang on the forum while at work to.[:D]
ORIGINAL: nashvillen

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

USS Texas.

Visited her back in 1996 when the Oilers were thinking about leaving for Tennessee. A reporter and I traveled down there for a pre season game plus talk to the locals about their thoughts on Bud. That was the preseason game that was cancelled because the turf was rolling up. I was pissed.

visited her in 99. Awesome visit but almost got arrested.

[:)]
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

What! Climbing somewhere we shouldn't be?[8D]
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

USS Texas.

visited her in 99. Awesome visit but almost got arrested.

EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

In my experience if you send in an old slow BB in an amphibious TF, and there is a Japanese submarine around, you will, no ifs, no buts, have the BB torpedoed multiple times.

I've seen the old BBs kick ass in surface combat though. In fact the one really notable surface combat win in my game against Presterjohn involved a couple of old BBs versus a couple of old Fusos - the Fusos lost, big time.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

What! Climbing somewhere we shouldn't be?[8D]

Had they found out about the climbing up into the formast to shoot some photos of the interior, then there would have been an arrest. That or getting past the barrier blocking access to one of the recipricating engines and the compartments behind it [:)]. No....i got ratted out trying to get around a barrier blocking access to the #3 turret magazine. That got me talked too and only threatened with arrest. [:)]
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

Figured it was trying to go somewhere on board where they didn't want you to go. On the North Carolina, you can explore pretty far, but there are off limit signs here and there.
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Had they found out about the climbing up into the formast to shoot some photos of the interior, then there would have been an arrest. That or getting past the barrier blocking access to one of the recipricating engines and the compartments behind it [:)]. No....i got ratted out trying to get around a barrier blocking access to the #3 turret magazine. That got me talked too and only threatened with arrest. [:)]
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Texas was my first battleship so i was higher than a kid on 3 red bulls and a mountain dew code red. Been studying em since i was eight and I had flown to Houston on a vacation just to see her.

As such....i ran around like a meth addict getting into and onto everything. main turret tops......upper levels of the bridge.....snapping pics of the conning tower interior while balancing outside the vision slits.....climbing into the tripod formast. (always wanted to do that!).....getting into the engine room and rear compartments.......the only thing that thwarted me was getting into a magazine.

Texas is fairly open but i was seriously disapointed that there was no access to a mag or the boiler rooms. "almost" got into #3 but as mentioned.....got ratted out and boy was that guy in the uniform PISSED when he intercepted me. Hopefully after 10+ years he's forgotten me if he's still there. [:)]

Ironically...i'm headed to Houston for a while.....maybe i can volunteer and get that access while helping maintain the ship.
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

[:D][:D][:D]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Hey nashvillen, I see you hang on the forum while at work to.[:D]

Yes, indeed. A lot of what I do involves monitoring servers and moving data around. It does allow me to browse other "educational" areas while doing so.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

Well considering there are still plenty of Texans manning the guns...lol!

Yeah, the Boiler room, Engine Compt., and there other locations mentioned here that are still off limits today though they are working and have been for years to get other area's open... Maybe ten years from now we may get those all open at least partially so anyway...
Attachments
2011BB353.jpg
2011BB353.jpg (321.44 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I'd wash the deck plates with a toothbrush ala "Officer and a Gentleman" if it would get me into the Magazine or Boiler rooms.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”