Dealing with the Trolls

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Satansbraten

RE: Dealing with the Trolls

Post by Satansbraten »

Reading the article and the comments posted beneath it my impression is that "The Troll" does not exist. The article itself has a very interesting link to Wikipedia (the "List of fallacies"), which was also a new article to me.
When reading this long list I think it shows you will never meet all those "criterias" (i.e. avoiding the fallacies). And I think you shouldn't do so anyway.

This in turn reminds me about an article I did know before, described in this Wikipedia entry. It's an old philosophical concept describing that you can't be "wrong" or "right" (occupying an objective point of view), because you can not provide proof for your argument.

All discussions show connection to this trilemma, or even could be regarded as actual incarnations of it (including this thread and my posting). When having this in mind, most of the time I find it easier to "deal" with "trolls". Everyone has his/her own mindset. Arguments tend to be endless, until someone drops out. If the "troll" does not hurt or offend people, pays attention to posting rules, etc. then everything should be "fine" (whatever that means [:D]). If not, it will eventually mean banning ("recognize power" as someone called it over there).

Nobody is forced to engage into discussions (with "trolls"). Being a missionary is a hard job these days. So, if you are wondering: this is a scnr posting [:D].
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: herwin

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Yeah.  You can't nuke 'em.  Too bad.

Check this out.
Funny. Reminds me of the "Bastard Operator From Hell" stuff that was popular 20 years ago, or so. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about Google it and read the first fifteen, or so, episodes.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
stuman

Post by stuman »

Interesting article on what works and what doesn't.

"Ask him what he means....

"Agree with him (but use a softer language)....

"And eventually negotiate a common ground."

Try to catch them out when the sun comes up, they will turn to stone.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

I disagree with everything that is said in this thread. You guys are wrong.

herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Special pleading?
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
sven

Post by sven »

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

Thats why political chat of an inflammatory nature has no business on this forum they have forums specifically for political debate and they have forums for alternate history debates but trolls will try to ruin any forum just to get a rise out of people for their own satisfaction!!! I troll but I troll the appropriate forums not forums for people just enjoying the greatest computer game ever designed!!

Agreed, matrix once had a political forum called 'the art of wargaming' that was yanked because it was not the image of what matrix had in mind.

Our hobby is dying a little more each year because the younger kids don't enjoy turn-based tac/strat and fewer companies support our hobby all the time.

So now that we have 'ran off the political flamethrowers' as it were, we now are faced with self-appointed forum cops who are rude to people who are just visiting the community as a first stroke.

Unneeded, and even more lamentable when the person is arguably "staff".
sprior

Post by sprior »

Yeah.  You can't nuke 'em.  Too bad.

Check this out.
Funny. Reminds me of the "Bastard Operator From Hell" stuff that was popular 20 years ago, or so. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about Google it and read the first fifteen, or so, episodes.

BofH is still around
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Talking about trolls attracts trolls.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
sven

Post by sven »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Talking about trolls attracts trolls.

If you say so.

This troll at least has the restraint to keep among its own kind when trolling unlike our protected friend.
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

I see what you did there.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

I disagree with your disagreement and argue you are incorrect sir.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Fokko

Post by Fokko »

Should we disagree or disregard ........ i'm confused[&:]
Stuck on the treadmill
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Fokko

Should we disagree or disregard ........ i'm confused[&:]

disregard, not important.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I disagree with your disagreement and argue you are incorrect sir.

Not bad. However its better to say "The facts disagree with your disagreement and show that you are incorrect."

This way its not you giving an opinion....rather you are the mouthpiece of the facts....and who can argue with THE FACTS?

[;)]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: stuman

Though the term comes from fishing. "Trolling for victims" was originally how the term started.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

lol...reminds me of other famous acronyms....courtasy of Rick Atkinson's triology:

SNAFU, SUSFU, TARFU, JANFU, FUAFUP and of course....FUBAR!
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Misconduct, as this thread seems to be as good as any other to go off topic:

Is silent hunter IV now what SH III was after a couple of modders went over it big time?
SH III was my favourite game for a long time but not in the stock version but with the Grey Wolves Mod with
about every part of the game changed for realism. It was a sensational piece of work.

Is something like GW now existing for SHIV? (heard that SHV was/is crap so I don´t even bother about buying that one)
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Misconduct, as this thread seems to be as good as any other to go off topic:

Is silent hunter IV now what SH III was after a couple of modders went over it big time?
SH III was my favourite game for a long time but not in the stock version but with the Grey Wolves Mod with
about every part of the game changed for realism. It was a sensational piece of work.

Is something like GW now existing for SHIV? (heard that SHV was/is crap so I don´t even bother about buying that one)

Silent Hunter IV is much improved over SH 3, the mods have in fact made SHIV pretty decent (there are however some issues still) like later in the war entire convoys get jammed up in Japan. There isn't GW For SH4 yet, I still play SH3 in tournaments with GW and only GW. Some of the big mods are Trigger Maru, Real Fleet Boat and Fall of the Rising Sun, all which do incredible job at making it historically accurate.

I would gamble on SH4 if you can get it cheap, however I would stay away from SH5, its a total piece of crap.

I believe there are 3 active SH4 tournaments, with the 3 mods, Sh3 only has two active both are GW's with 100% realism and other is 50%
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

ORIGINAL: stuman

Though the term comes from fishing. "Trolling for victims" was originally how the term started.

Bill

I doubt many victims will be found in this audience!
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

When I troll I usually have a nice catch of fish when I am done.

Are we not talking about the same thing....[:D]
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”