ATG Random Game Setup Screen

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

ATG Random Game Setup Screen

Post by Tac2i »

This screen shot is from a test version so it could change some in the final but I expect it to be the same or very close. See Post #14 in this thread to learn how to use the AT Classic Random Setup Screen to make ATG Random games.

Roy, aka Tac2i
Internal VR Designs Play Tester

Note: This screen now has two panels of options.

Attachments
randomgamescreen.jpg
randomgamescreen.jpg (176.28 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

RE: ATG Random Game Setup Screen

Post by Tac2i »

For those wondering, the map sizes are as follows:

Small: 41x21
Medium: 61x31
Large: 71x41
X-Large: 91x61
XX-Large: 131x91
Unplayably Large: 171x121

Roy, aka Tac2i
Internal VR Designs Play Tester
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Josh

Post by Josh »

Cool thanks.

Question? What does "Stone Age" mean (uhm, gamewise ofcourse), and "Crates hidden AI"?
There is also the option of "no roads" So engineers can still build roads, but can they build railroads too?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

In Stone Age games you start with a small number of basic production choices. You have to research armored cars, tanks, planes, etc. before you can build them.

Crates/Hidden AI is only available in games against the AI. Small crates are scattered around the map. When you move on to one of them, something either good or bad happens.

There are only railroads now which function as roads and railroads. Engineers can build railroads.
ORIGINAL: Josh

Cool thanks.

Question? What does "Stone Age" mean (uhm, gamewise ofcourse), and "Crates hidden AI"?
There is also the option of "no roads" So engineers can still build roads, but can they build railroads too?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

Wow - the crates sound like an interesting add. Can't wait to see how those play out...

Will ATG still be as "editable" as AT? My favorite feature of AT is it's game editor, which in my opinion is the best I've ever seen. Perhaps someone could post some screenshots of what the game editor will look like???

cheers,

Mike
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I'm not an AT scenario designer so can't really comment on the editor except to say that yes, ATG is as editable as AT. From the press release:

"Improved Scenario Editor – The scenario editor is very powerful and allows the player to edit almost any aspect of the game in great detail."
ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Will ATG still be as "editable" as AT?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

What does "wild land" mean? More forests, swamps, rough terrain?
Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Westheim

What does "wild land" mean? More forests, swamps, rough terrain?

Yes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Another question from my side: is there no option to award the AI a production advantage? I've always been toasted by Advanced Tactics' AI+ (and there are more AARs on this board to account for that than you all have fingers on all your hands ...), but the standard AI without production advantage has merely been pushovers. Started a random game yesterday on a 50x50 map with some 70 VP locations against 5 AIs. It's round 24 and I'm already at about 23 VP locations and counting. The AI has nothing against me, no aircraft, no artillery, no tanks at all.

I would have hoped for a slider allowing me to set the AI's production advantage at exactly 28.3% - but instead it appears that all sliders AND the AI+ are gone completely. [X(]
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I imagine that allied AI essentially gives them a multiplier. BUt yeah, the old + and ++ thingies are gone. I notice that 'map loop' is an option. I have a feeling that is the produciton balancing routine that is in the ARHS mod.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

For the AI A+ and A++ does still exist in ATG, though the sliders for setting up random games are gone.

Here are a couple of tips to get the most out of the AI: 1) let it have the first turn and 2) let it declare war. Sometimes the AI will declare war immediately and other times it will wait a few turns. In an AI game (no + or ++) I started yesterday I did just that. The AI waited until turn 4 or 5 to declare war and when it did it launched a ferocious offensive towards my capital. I managed to finally stop the offensive when its lead units moved adjacent to my capital. Over time I rolled the AI back. A human will probably always be able to defeat the standard AI. Matching the power of the human brain on a personal computer just isn't possible.

Another question from my side: is there no option to award the AI a production advantage? I've always been toasted by Advanced Tactics' AI+ (and there are more AARs on this board to account for that than you all have fingers on all your hands ...), but the standard AI without production advantage has merely been pushovers. Started a random game yesterday on a 50x50 map with some 70 VP locations against 5 AIs. It's round 24 and I'm already at about 23 VP locations and counting. The AI has nothing against me, no aircraft, no artillery, no tanks at all.

I would have hoped for a slider allowing me to set the AI's production advantage at exactly 28.3% - but instead it appears that all sliders AND the AI+ are gone completely. [X(]

Attachments
ATG721.jpg
ATG721.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Interesting. So the AI can handle diplomacy now?

And there are more VP than towns because A) bigger towns account for more VP or B) mines and oil fields give VP as well?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

The only diplomatic thing the AI can do is declare war. There is a random chance each turn that it will do so.

Edit: Re VPs - Cities count for 1VP and a Capitol is 4VP. These are the only VPs in a random game created with the random game generator. Custom scenarios could have several different types of VPs.

Interesting. So the AI can handle diplomacy now?

And there are more VP than towns because A) bigger towns account for more VP or B) mines and oil fields give VP as well?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Good news! Vic has made it so that you can use the AT Classic Random Game setup panel with sliders to make ATG random games. That means an ATG player has the option to use the new ATG Random Game Setup Panel or the AT Classic Random Game Setup Panel to create ATG random games!

To use the AT Classic panel, from the ATG main screen select Classic Random Game. That opens the AT Classic Random Game Setup screen with sliders. Next click on the M button and change the classic.at2 masterfile to the generic.at2 masterfile. You then use the sliders to set your game parameters and click the Make button. Bam! You have an ATG random game.

If you want to create an AT style random game, simply leave the classic.at2 as the masterfile.

Attachments
atgclassic.jpg
atgclassic.jpg (120.29 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Good news! Vic has made it so that you can use the AT Classic Random Game setup panel with sliders to make ATG random games. That means an ATG player has the option to use the new ATG Random Game Setup Panel or the AT Classic Random Game Setup Panel to create ATG random games!

To use the AT Classic panel, from the ATG main screen select Classic Random Game. That opens the AT Classic Random Game Setup screen with sliders. Next click on the M button and change the classic.at2 masterfile to the generic.at2 masterfile. You then use the sliders to set your game parameters and click the Make button. Bam! You have an ATG random game.

If you want to create an AT style random game, simply leave the classic.at2 as the masterfile.

best greetings, and thanks for the info and advice on it, i will try some scenarios in each engine and see what become better, at base, i prefer the classic screen setup, is great by Victor and the team to make it possible,

thanks again and best regards,

Murat30.
There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
thekhan360

Post by thekhan360 »

Just bought this amazing game and loving it. One question though. I had played AT:WWII before and when generating a new map, it would begin the game with just one HQ and one city and the rest I need to produce myself.

I am not able to reproduce this here and the game begins by giving me a sizeable army since the start. Please help. Thanks[:)]

EDITED:
Oh nevermind its the One Town Start option :P
It pays to read the manual. ;)
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Congrats on getting this great game. It has taken up a large amount of my free time since I got it 3 years ago. When you feel adventurous, be sure to look into the mods and scenarios at www.advancedtactics.org I just got the 4seasons mod and it adds a number of new units and changes the feel of the game by its adjustments of stacking and combat values.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”