New Return of the Shakturi 1.5.0.5 Public Beta Available!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

hewwo

RE: New Return of the Shakturi 1.5.0.5 Public Beta Available!

Post by hewwo »

Nice patch overall, but I'm a tad disappointed that there still aren't any extra modding options.

Also, eventually the fuel system will need a bit of an overhaul (not dumbing down though!), I'm really not enjoying it right now...

Zilas00

Post by Zilas00 »

After some horse play Id have to say that the AI definatly colonizes more effectively now and they seem to research better too. I also have to say that I am a fan of having more scarce resources as it tends to add more depth to your strategy of what resource you need to be looking for (althought I have not gone into a late game stage yet so I have yet to see if its a problem in the later stages) The only bad thing I have noticed so far is there seem to be random temporary freezes every so often (not often enough to irritate me personally) that did not happen before but...I also have yet to crash to the desktop like I was before! [:D] Great patch, game just gets better and better.
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

Not sure if this is new, but I was retrofitting from a small to medium space port and it suddenly was gone.

I'm guessing it was a sabatoge mission that completely destroyed it?!?

It also left all the ships that were being built just partially constructed floating in space. I can't seem to get rid of them either.

Edit: Ok I was able to find them and scrap them in the ships and bases screen.
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

Somewhat silly diplomatic request.

I was at war with the Dhayut and they requested that I impose trade sanctions on another empire. They didn't make it a condition of ending the war or something like that.
Litjan

Post by Litjan »

ORIGINAL: tornnight

Not sure if this is new, but I was retrofitting from a small to medium space port and it suddenly was gone.

I'm guessing it was a sabatoge mission that completely destroyed it?!?

It also left all the ships that were being built just partially constructed floating in space. I can't seem to get rid of them either.

Edit: Ok I was able to find them and scrap them in the ships and bases screen.

Had something similiar happen - I added ships that were still under construction to an existing fleet. The fleet was automated, and when it decided to go kill some space-slug, the partly constructed ships decided to go along! Well, they undocked and then just floated in space. I tried to get a constructor to finish them, but no go. Had to scrap them and loose the money [:@]

Jan
unclean

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

[*]Fixed bug where assigning some mission types to fleets (Load Troops, Refuel, Repair) would cause any ships in the fleet that were still under construction to prematurely leave their construction yard
[/b]
Haha, this was my favorite. Always imagined my army had a few Major Kongs who just bolted a blaster to a hyperdrive and called it good.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I don't see any problems with that.
Jim had a friggin' jet engine in his backpocket!

GROOVY!

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

Queue construction of bases to nearest constructor doesn't seem to work anymore. All construction is queued to only 1 particular constructor. Quite sure it isn't the nearest either.

Edit: Ok things got much better as the game progressed. Maybe it did simply think that one particular constructor was closer for some reason?!?
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

As I see it, the fuel system is broken right now.

It's one thing for the player to have to work for the fuel, but the current state is that the AI can't cope with it either.

I'm rolling over any other empire simply because their ships don't have fuel.
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

I don't really know what's going on but I keep seeing constructors start building stations then the stations just disappear. The constructors then go on their merry way as if nothing happened.

I've seen this a few times now, and many more hints of it when I wasn't looking closely.

Very strange.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

It's one thing for the player to have to work for the fuel, but the current state is that the AI can't cope with it either.

Partially agree.
The problem is that default designs that AI uses haven't got enough fuel-cells. Reason why I ALWAYS customize all of my starting ships. You can never have enough fuel.

Simple fix would be fixing the default designs by adding more fuel-cells on them. I think that would go long way fixing this issue.

BTW. The only real problems I still have with the game are:

1) This fuel issue.

2) AI empires need to build more research stations.

3) Depris fields need to be toned down greatly. Getting 3-6 Shakturi capitals in early- mid-game is just ludicrous. Either reduce the amount of the wrecks in the fields or make repairing them take very, very long like world destroyer.

4) Make it so that Way of the Ancients can be gotten some other way than the current one. AI empires have zero possibility of getting it now. Yeah, I know this is probably because player is supposed to be the leader of "the new alliance" once the bad guys show up. Story thingy and all that.

When these get fixed I'm a very happy gamer. Otherwise the game is very enjoyable currently.
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Partially agree.
The problem is that default designs that AI uses haven't got enough fuel-cells. Reason why I ALWAYS customize all of my starting ships. You can never have enough fuel.

Simple fix would be fixing the default designs by adding more fuel-cells on them. I think that would go long way fixing this issue.

BTW. The only real problems I still have with the game are:

1) This fuel issue.

2) AI empires need to build more research stations.

3) Depris fields need to be toned down greatly. Getting 3-6 Shakturi capitals in early- mid-game is just ludicrous. Either reduce the amount of the wrecks in the fields or make repairing them take very, very long like world destroyer.

4) Make it so that Way of the Ancients can be gotten some other way than the current one. AI empires have zero possibility of getting it now. Yeah, I know this is probably because player is supposed to be the leader of "the new alliance" once the bad guys show up. Story thingy and all that.

When these get fixed I'm a very happy gamer. Otherwise the game is very enjoyable currently.

I completely agree with your list of problems.

However, I don't think it is just a fuel-cell amount issue. I increase the fuel cells on all my ships but after I enter early-mid game, the huge amount of civilian ships are just milking all the available fuel bases dry. And I have built up a ton manually.
I think the fuel bases have to extract faster and the distribution system has to be improved, possibly with higher cargo capacity for just fuel.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Hard to say which way would be better. Even the races who have fast-mining bonuses (Ugnari, Teekan) seem to suffer from this problem.
Still, my recommendation is the addition of extra fuel-cells to default designs. After examining how AI empires perform with this change it would be easier to see which one is the bigger problem, the infrastructure or the amount of fuel-cells. 
Go figure. Hope this gets some attentation. Would help AI empires a ton if this would be fixed.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

JHGT: If only these parameters were externalised in editable files we could do all the balancing for the developers.
Data

Post by Data »

very true
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

Amen
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
tornnight

Post by tornnight »

That is why I haven't played with the storyline settings ever since the option to turn them off was included.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I think the depris fields are great feature, but they just need to be toned down to balance the early-/midgame. In (very) lategame situations you usually have your own ships so teched up that Shakturi or Freedom alliance wrecks are not worth of it anymore.
Data

Post by Data »

You still have to destroy them to avoid them falling in the wrong hands.....but destroying is way easier [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

What do you mean? There are at least two ways to get Way of Ancients/Darkness. You can get it either from investigating ruins (which anyone can do - so statistically it's more likely the AI will discover it this way than the player) or the special base, which the AI doesn't ever investigate.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”