Workaround for plotting that stops after a static attack

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
pyguinard

Workaround for plotting that stops after a static attack

Post by pyguinard »

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

Possum is proving itself to be a bug ridden disaster that should never ever be played. I would strongly suggest never to play with this mod.

German korps are not completing there full plotting movements. It seems that after a static attack the plotting string is cleared forcing the unit to stop all its action there.

Heaps of tests have been done and it is not a OP, failed attack, or any other issue. Its a bug

What to do?

How do I move armor up to attack if it decides to stop its orders when it likes? All the Soviets will need is 1 divisions korps to encircle my most powerful forces.

Last week we encircled 1 Soviet armie and inflicted about 250 squads to the Soviets. We had 9 INF divisions smashed and our entire armored force of 2000 panzers encircled. A very very bold Soviet attack was launched to get this result and they had no recon what so ever. This Soviet attack would of failed if my plots worked correctly.( we tested this with tom and we confirmed it is a bug not a plotting error)

Tom has offered to play the turn again but what good is that for me?

He knows my troop positions and his very brave attack would of result in 1 tank armie and 4 INF korps losses for the Soviets if my troops were in correct position.
How is this gonna stop this plotting bug happening again?
Panzers is all I have to attack the Soviets with but they will be encircled every time when used if plotting orders are not followed.

Well, I know I come up with something 2½ years too late but I thought it was worth mentionning (eventhough the WiR board is dead)

Most of the time, a plotting streak will stop after a static attack and it has nothing to do with Op points, Oil or what so ever. There seems to be an unfix bug that can be overcome by:

1- Take note of the order in which the units perform their plotting movement. This can be done by pressing the "NEXT" button several times until you cycle through all the units involved.

2- Choose the unit that moves first and set it to go back and forth into the attacked hex, instead of making it perform a static attack

3- Issue a wait command (0) to the unit that will come last into the hex to synchronize it with the one (or more) that went in and out.

4- Enjoy the combat resolution phase.

In the Example below, the Vyazma defenders are just too strong to be attacked by a single German Korp. Even if it could be taken, a Russian counter-attack could encircle by the flanks and eliminate the unit. That is why the Germans need to clear the surroundings and then assault the city with three Korps.

It has been found that the red unit will move before the green one. If the battle for the hex S-E of Vyazma is won, the red unit has to move in and out of the hex. The green unit will then have to move in and wait until the red is ready to attack the city.

(Note that the plotted movements are shown in the frames)

Attachments
wir_054.jpg
wir_054.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 161 times
P-Y Guinard
pyguinard

RE: Workaround for plot that stops after a static attack

Post by pyguinard »

These are the results at the end of the turn. Note that the Soviets could still retake the city but since the flanks are secured, the outcome wouldn't be so catastrophic.

Any question?

Attachments
wir_055.jpg
wir_055.jpg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 147 times
P-Y Guinard
MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket »

Take heart Pyguinard, the board is not completely dead. Yes, I am yet another old Second Front player who just recently found WiR.

Normally I would never post at this stage since I’m so green. But simply to ease the despondency, I’ll add this: units may pass freely through each other when plotting without stopping.

For example, open the 41 campaign as both human. Plot the German 44th Korps south of Brest-Litovsk with 66 and the 17th Korps with 99 which should cause both Korps to occupy the same hex (31,31) on the first combat resolution pulse. It doesn’t matter which is plotted first, but after crossing paths both will end up at their intended hexes.

Perhaps this is widely known, I can’t tell. The Forum Search function truly and deeply sucks. Google advanced domain search can help for small strings like HQ, but you can’t limit it to the WiR board only.
pyguinard

Post by pyguinard »

ORIGINAL: MoldyJacket

(...)

I’ll add this: units may pass freely through each other when plotting without stopping.

(...)
Thank you very much, Moldy. You summarized in one phrase what I have been trying to explain.
P-Y Guinard
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

It has been a long time since playing WIR but if I recall correctly the plotting bugs I was talking about only happened in the last stages of my war against Tom playing the possum mod.( west Poland, Hungary). I think I gave Tom my P/W and we both spent alot of time trying to work out what was causing this bug and it was not human error but it was so bad we both decided that the game was unplayble.
pyguinard

Post by pyguinard »

It is weird that the plotting bug happened in the last stages of your game; in my games, using standard WiR 3.3, it can happen anytime but it is not a problem anymore unless I don't want the unit to move out of its fortified position. In this case, I issue a wait command (0) after the "s" and it seems to be working.

P-Y Guinard

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”