why is this banned...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

why is this banned...

Post by Footslogger »

This film was banned, but why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsOOfU59SM
stuman

RE: why is this banned...

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

This film was banned, but why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsOOfU59SM

Who banned it and when ? Seems pretty run of the mill to me.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

As an animator, as far as I know this film was never banned, at least not in an official capacity.  However there were many WW2 propaganda films that the animation companies, such as Disney, sought to suppress after the war as they were made as propaganda pieces and were definitely not family friendly, often including racist and inflammatory content.  For example there are numerous swastikas featured in the film and although it is a propaganda piece, it is not a good idea to associate anyone with a swastika, especially the character who now stars in your cartoons made for children.  They mostly buried all these film and wasn't until the 1990s and 2000s, that they once again allowed them to be released to the public.

The idea that is banned, may in fact come from the companion piece "The New Spirit" also by Disney and starring Donald Duck, which also encourages people to pay their taxes.  At the time, the secretary of the treasury was unsure about using Donald Duck and had to be convinced by Disney that it was their equivalent of Clark Gable before he would allow that film to be made.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Because the world wouldn't be safe exposed to Donald Duck... he could corrupt our young and hurt our ears....[X(]
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Because the world wouldn't be safe exposed to Donald Duck... he could corrupt our young and hurt our ears....[X(]

Forget our ears...he doesn't even wear pants![X(]
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

He was actually banned in one of the northern European countries for that reason. I want to say it was Denmark, but I'm not sure and my reference book is right now buried in a box in a storage unit.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Here is a Disney dilema. How come Donald (Duck not Trump) does not wear pants but he puts on a towel when he gets out of the shower?
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Here is a Disney dilema. How come Donald (Duck not Trump) does not wear pants but he puts on a towel when he gets out of the shower?

Darn it, I will now stay up all night pondering that question.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

He was actually banned in one of the northern European countries for that reason ...

Tweetie Bird had the same issue in the US.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I'd like to point out that he's a DUCK. Why don't we let all real life ducks wear pants? Kids see these animals 'naked' all the time IN REAL LIFE so what is the big deal? I've seen plenty of cartoons that have ducks in them that don't even have shirts. Get real. [8|]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

It's an urban myth that Donald Duck was banned in Finland:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/finland.asp

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I'd like to point out that he's a DUCK. Why don't we let all real life ducks wear pants? Kids see these animals 'naked' all the time IN REAL LIFE so what is the big deal? I've seen plenty of cartoons that have ducks in them that don't even have shirts. Get real. [8|]

True but once they wear any clothes they are expected to act human. Worst of all is the cartoon "Little Bear" His parents are over dressed in suits and long dresses but he is butt naked. I know I think too much about my kid's cartoons but I am a detail freak, thus my love for AE. [;)]
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

I know on some of the cartoon channels on cable they self censer their cartoons to fit today's very PC audience.  If a portion of a cartoon can't be cut to make it more PC they will just not play the cartoon.   Several years back I remember some of the announcements of the networks that they wouldn't broadcast WW2 cartoons as they were to "offensive" due to racial words or stereotypes.  Most of these were very low key announcements and were met by calls of censorship but it didn't effect the decision at all.  These are not banned by governments as the term ban envisions but rater a choice by a commercial provider about its product line.  They are still out their and available for viewing and purchase you just can't find them on most if not all of the cartoon networks. WW2 cartoons were not the only cartoons banned by providers, ones depicting stereo typical racial behavior and appearance are also banned.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Just watched "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" on YouTube last night.  Man oh man.... Racist?  Maybe.  Just a bit.  Eesh!  [X(]
decaro

Post by decaro »

... once they wear any clothes they are expected to act human. Worst of all is the cartoon "Little Bear" His parents are over dressed in suits and long dresses but he is butt naked.

There's a parody of Jellystone Park on Adult Swim where Boo Boo removes his bow tie and "goes native" by being a bear that doesn't act human, all against park rules; it's almost a spoof of "The Island of Doctor Moreau"!
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

ORIGINAL: mullk

I know on some of the cartoon channels on cable they self censer their cartoons to fit today's very PC audience.  If a portion of a cartoon can't be cut to make it more PC they will just not play the cartoon.   Several years back I remember some of the announcements of the networks that they wouldn't broadcast WW2 cartoons as they were to "offensive" due to racial words or stereotypes.  Most of these were very low key announcements and were met by calls of censorship but it didn't effect the decision at all.  These are not banned by governments as the term ban envisions but rater a choice by a commercial provider about its product line.  They are still out their and available for viewing and purchase you just can't find them on most if not all of the cartoon networks. WW2 cartoons were not the only cartoons banned by providers, ones depicting stereo typical racial behavior and appearance are also banned.

I agree about the self censorship, especially with the propaganda films about the Japanese, they are very offensive and really played on the racial stereotype, more so than they did with the Germans. They certainly wouldn't be allowed to air on the commercial tv stations and are probably too offensive, even for cable, with some making South Park seem tame in comparison. Disney I think was particularly sensitive about the propaganda films, as there is a lot of speculation that Walt Disney (the man, not the studio) was a supporter of the Nazi Party and their policies, prior to the US entering the war.

Although they did eventually release a lot of the films, on various DVD collections, they appeal mainly to collectors and those interested in the history of animation or the studios. For example The Spirit of 43 is available on the "Walt Disney On The Front Lines" DVD.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”