Last Surviving US Veteran of WW1 Dies

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

Last Surviving US Veteran of WW1 Dies

Post by GaryChildress »

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — Frank Buckles, who lied about his age to get into uniform during World War I and lived to be the last surviving U.S. veteran of that war, has died. He was 110.

Buckles, who also survived being a civilian POW in the Philippines in World War II, died peacefully of natural causes early Sunday at his home in Charles Town, biographer and family spokesman David DeJonge said in a statement.

stuman

RE: Last Surviving US Verteran of WW1 Dies

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — Frank Buckles, who lied about his age to get into uniform during World War I and lived to be the last surviving U.S. veteran of that war, has died. He was 110.

Buckles, who also survived being a civilian POW in the Philippines in World War II, died peacefully of natural causes early Sunday at his home in Charles Town, biographer and family spokesman David DeJonge said in a statement.

R.I.P.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Living history has passed.  R.I.P.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for the OP, Gary. It is our duty to honor and remember them all.
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Ah yes ! The war to end all wars ends. RIP DOUGHBOY....AMEN
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

R.I.P.

Hope we've written down all the stories and history from these brave fellows before they all croaked.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

His obituary mentioned an interview with the Library of Congress - and gave some quotes from his experiences.
Greybriar

RE: Last Surviving US Veteran of WW1 Dies

Post by Greybriar »

Rest in peace, Frank.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Seems like an appropriate time to quote what is one of the most poignant moments in Herodotus's "The Histories," the scene as Xerxes looks out upon the massive host with which he is about to invade Greece:

Arrived here, Xerxes wished to look upon all his host; so as there was a throne of white marble upon a hill near the city, which they of Abydos had prepared beforehand, by the king's bidding, for his especial use, Xerxes took his seat on it, and, gazing thence upon the shore below, beheld at one view all his land forces and all his ships. While thus employed, he felt a desire to behold a sailing-match among his ships, which accordingly took place, and was won by the Phoenicians of Sidon, much to the joy of Xerxes, who was delighted alike with the race and with his army.

And now, as he looked and saw the whole Hellespont covered with the vessels of his fleet, and all the shore and every plain about Abydos as full as possible of men, Xerxes congratulated himself on his good fortune; but after a little while he wept.

Then Artabanus, the king's uncle (the same who at the first so freely spake his mind to the king, and advised him not to lead his army against Greece), when he heard that Xerxes was in tears, went to him, and said:-

"How different, sire, is what thou art now doing, from what thou didst a little while ago! Then thou didst congratulate thyself; and now, behold! thou weepest."

"There came upon me," replied he, "a sudden pity, when I thought of the shortness of man's life, and considered that of all this host, so numerous as it is, not one will be alive when a hundred years are gone by."

"And yet there are sadder things in life than that," returned the other. "Short as our time is, there is no man, whether it be here among this multitude or elsewhere, who is so happy, as not to have felt the wish- I will not say once, but full many a time- that he were dead rather than alive. Calamities fall upon us; sicknesses vex and harass us, and make life, short though it be, to appear long. So death, through the wretchedness of our life, is a most sweet refuge to our race: and God, who gives us the tastes that we enjoy of pleasant times, is seen, in his very gift, to be envious."

"True," said Xerxes; "human life is even such as thou hast painted it, O Artabanus! But for this very reason let us turn our thoughts from it, and not dwell on what is so sad, when pleasant things are in hand."

(Disclaimer: No one seriously believes this conversation took place, as it is far too unlikely for Herodotus to have known of a conversation spoken in Persian a half-century before he wrote his book.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

R.I.P.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Here is an interesting article about him R.I.P http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/index.php?...Body_of_last_World_War_I_veteran_ to_be_shot_to_moon...In the news section 7th item down.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

It is our duty to honor and remember them all.

How is that even possible when the average American doesn't even know who Caesar was?
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

How is that even possible when the average American doesn't even know who Caesar was?

Can't resist the urge to come and take a dump can you? I'm starting to wonder why Matrix put up with your blatent trolling. [8|]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

How many of my rights did he fight and die for? Why should I honor a despotic tyrannical dictater from 1st century B.C.?
sven

Post by sven »

Julius Caesar was in WW1, or an American?

Man I guess I do need to go back to the history books.

God bless you Buckles, see you at the campfire.
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

[8|]
sven

Post by sven »

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

[8|]
ORIGINAL: Colin Powell

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

It seems nobody 'got it'.

Just never mind.
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
E

Post by E »

It seems nobody 'got it'.
I got the non-sequitur!
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

This thread needs more 'Tiger Scare'. [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”