DaBigBabes Beta errata

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Tijanski

RE: DaBigBabes Beta errata

Post by Tijanski »

Look, I don’t know what I am allowed to say or not and that is all bull. All I want to know is how to play this game. Everybody on the main forum says it sucks and everything is broken and nothing works like it supposed to. And I come here and everything is fine, and everything is better than it is supposed to be. But to make this happen the designers made some new units with some new code and some new data. I am confused and want to know what is really going on.
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Tijanski

Look, I don’t know what I am allowed to say or not and that is all bull. All I want to know is how to play this game. Everybody on the main forum says it sucks and everything is broken and nothing works like it supposed to. And I come here and everything is fine, and everything is better than it is supposed to be. But to make this happen the designers made some new units with some new code and some new data. I am confused and want to know what is really going on.

Hello Tijanski. Welcome to the game. For what it is worth, I am a long time gamer ( going back to various board games decades ago ) and have come to think that this is the most complex, enjoyable, time consuming game out there. It is, imo, by far the best entertainment value per dollar in this genre. And of course it is not perfect.

I know this post does not answer your question per se, but my humble advice is to ignore most of the posters in the main forum for now, spend time in here, read through posts in the general areas, and the AARs, and in the mod section , and the tech threads as well. Be patient, this is a monster game in so many respects. But it is a great gaming experience if grand strategy, as well as some micro managing is your cup of tea.

As far as the " Babes " mod goes, I am in no way an expert, but the guys who did the work are ( at least in my humble opinion [:)] ) and basically they did a mountain of research and added a bunch of units, and tweaked some guns and stuff, and added and subtracted some units here and there and did some other stuff all to make the game perhaps be a bit more realistic in thier eyes, and maybe slow down tempo in a few ways , all using the editor. My understanding is that they did not do work on the code itself.

The above is all based upon my imperfect understanding of this particular mod. But having played it extensively I can tell you that it is a lot of fun .
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Buck was just kidding around, honestly. Probably poor judgement as it obviously didn't communicate well.
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Tijanski,

I have been playing wargames since 1980... that makes it 30 years now. I have owned and/or played no less than 200 titles (maybe closer to 300), both board and computer. And this game is, without a doubt, the best one I have ever played. It is not perfect, not by a long shot, but I rate games using the concept of "good enough"... is it good enough as a simulation? Yes, it is. Is it good enough as a game? Yes. Is the interface good enough to let me enjoy the game? Yes. So far, the game has gotten better with each patch, and the patches keep on coming. The developers, coders, testers, and support team of this game are VERY, VERY good (note: I am not one of them... wish I had the knowledge, time and the... brass ones to be a part of it... alas, I do not), much better than most. DaBigBabes made a good gaming simulation even better as both a game and as a simulation.

Sure, there are those who disagree with me. Their specific fields of knowledge being so deep, they find things they consider wrong. I just have the perspective of the amateur historian and wargamer. I enjoy it, a lot. Once you get through a steep learning curve, you realize that it is not as impossible as you once thought. Then, enjoyment starts. Then, unusual plans are made, executed and, some, with success. Try it. I am sure you will enjoy it very, very much.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Well Buck was kidding but be advised that the issue that DaBabe boys tweaked the original game code for the mod and the Standard game player's did not have access to said changes caused a mountain of misunderstanding and general mayhem. I do not wish to see this all boil over again. Witpqs has said there is/was no code changes and stuman as well. If you wish, suggest to JWE that there are code changes.

Having said that the "data" has been extensively changed to where from that aspect it is a whole different game and a micro-manager's wet dream. And, it is cutting edge where some of the items tweaked for the mod as made it over to be included in the Standard game.

As to how to play it, take stuman's advice and review the various threads and play around with it.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: stuman

Hello Tijanski. Welcome to the game. For what it is worth, I am a long time gamer ( going back to various board games decades ago ) and have come to think that this is the most complex, enjoyable, time consuming game out there. It is, imo, by far the best entertainment value per dollar in this genre. And of course it is not perfect.

I know this post does not answer your question per se, but my humble advice is to ignore most of the posters in the main forum for now, spend time in here, read through posts in the general areas, and the AARs, and in the mod section , and the tech threads as well. Be patient, this is a monster game in so many respects. But it is a great gaming experience if grand strategy, as well as some micro managing is your cup of tea.

As far as the " Babes " mod goes, I am in no way an expert, but the guys who did the work are ( at least in my humble opinion [:)] ) and basically they did a mountain of research and added a bunch of units, and tweaked some guns and stuff, and added and subtracted some units here and there and did some other stuff all to make the game perhaps be a bit more realistic in thier eyes, and maybe slow down tempo in a few ways , all using the editor. My understanding is that they did not do work on the code itself.

The above is all based upon my imperfect understanding of this particular mod. But having played it extensively I can tell you that it is a lot of fun .

And:

Original: Kitakami:

Tijanski,

I have been playing wargames since 1980... that makes it 30 years now. I have owned and/or played no less than 200 titles (maybe closer to 300), both board and computer. And this game is, without a doubt, the best one I have ever played. It is not perfect, not by a long shot, but I rate games using the concept of "good enough"... is it good enough as a simulation? Yes, it is. Is it good enough as a game? Yes. Is the interface good enough to let me enjoy the game? Yes. So far, the game has gotten better with each patch, and the patches keep on coming. The developers, coders, testers, and support team of this game are VERY, VERY good (note: I am not one of them... wish I had the knowledge, time and the... brass ones to be a part of it... alas, I do not), much better than most. DaBigBabes made a good gaming simulation even better as both a game and as a simulation.

Sure, there are those who disagree with me. Their specific fields of knowledge being so deep, they find things they consider wrong. I just have the perspective of the amateur historian and wargamer. I enjoy it, a lot. Once you get through a steep learning curve, you realize that it is not as impossible as you once thought. Then, enjoyment starts. Then, unusual plans are made, executed and, some, with success. Try it. I am sure you will enjoy it very, very much.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

Tijanski -

stuman and Kitakami are bang on and have summed it up very well.

Admirals Edition is a huge game, very deep and complex. The AE Team, building on the original War in the Pacific, did a magnificent job, culminating in a First Class game. AE was a Labor of Love - the Team put their hearts and souls into it, and it really shows. Stock - "as is" AE, has all of the above - and I chose my words carefully. But - stock AE is like taking the Porsche out on the Highway - and staying within the speed limit - it really does not make full use - in my humble opinion - of AE's in game potential. The Big Babes - and it's little brother - Babes Lite - takes you over the speed limit and kicks the RPM's up by a thousand or so. And the Team has neither reached the limit nor finished yet.

So - I respectfully suggest that you try it on for size, and form your own opinions, reach your own conclusions. Any questions, challenges or concerns that you might have will be answered by the men and women on the forum, in an expeditious manner. That has been my experience. The standard of help - in any form - is very high.

We do hope you will join us - in the fast lane.

EL Mac (that's Mac in Spanish)

LAV-25 2147
JWE

Post by JWE »

Hi Tijanski.
The people here know the game and the scenarios very well. Have nothing to add to their take on things. These people know what's up and are even driving this to greater heights.

There is no magic, or special code for Babes. Babes uses the regular stock code and is not different. The code "allows" things that stock doesn't use, but Babes does. No magic, just some thought. So the data is different.

Don't know or care about what people complain about on the main forum. Hundreds of people have downloaded and play Babes; thousands of people have downloaded and play stock, without any issues. These hundreds and thousands do not post. The 6 or 7 screaming whiners (out of thousands) are the majority of posters so you will get a very skewed view of the game from these forums.

The game is not broken. If you believe that nonsense, then you should go elsewhere. If you like the game, then listen to what the actual players are saying. I recommed, highly, that you get a PBEM partner for one of the short scenarios and play it. Once you do that, you will be in a much better position to understand all the self-absorbed, anal-retentive, wet owl manure that appears on the main forum.

Ciao. John
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: JWE

...Don't know or care about what people complain about on the main forum. Hundreds of people have downloaded and play Babes; thousands of people have downloaded and play stock, without any issues. These hundreds and thousands do not post. The 6 or 7 screaming whiners (out of thousands) are the majority of posters so you will get a very skewed view of the game from these forums.

The game is not broken. If you believe that nonsense, then you should go elsewhere. If you like the game, then listen to what the actual players are saying. I recommed, highly, that you get a PBEM partner for one of the short scenarios and play it. Once you do that, you will be in a much better position to understand all the self-absorbed, anal-retentive, wet owl manure that appears on the main forum.

Ciao. John

Woof! (tm)[:)]

Plus I would add that very often the comments are based on very poor play and complete lack of understanding/knowledge of the subject matter.

Alfred
Weidi72

Post by Weidi72 »

14th, 16th, and 23rd LRP brigades (units 6718, 6719 and 6720) are infantry units ingame. the toe of the 14th includes motorized support. shoulnd't they be airmobile?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ORIGINAL: Weidi72

14th, 16th, and 23rd LRP brigades (units 6718, 6719 and 6720) are infantry units ingame. the toe of the 14th includes motorized support. shoulnd't they be airmobile?
I do not know Weidi72. The original land oob was done by Andymac and I do not know what he wanted to do with these. I can only make changes to data for a changed scenario that uses the unit. But I see the 2 problems and will ask the question for DaBabes. I think you are right.

MO
Bliztk

Post by Bliztk »

Land unit ID 4177 - 26th Engineer Rgt has 0 in TOE line 1.

Should have 48. When I click on Show TOE in the editor it points to 267, I guess that its something hardcoded
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Not sure if this one has been posted yet or not. I think the arrival bases for ComSoPac and ComNoPac are supposed to be reversed

Attachments
AIrHQ.jpg
AIrHQ.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 95 times
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
treespider

Post by treespider »

Not sure if this is a problem or not, or as already been pointed out ...

Found Unit 6709 - 3/16th Punjab Battalion -with Devices 251 & 252 listed twice.

It almost appears as if 6709 were merged over an older unit in a spreadsheet as device slot 10 is blank but 11 through 17 contain devices.

Been away for a while so not sure if that is intentional or not?
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: treespider

It almost appears as if 6709 were merged over an older unit in a spreadsheet as device slot 10 is blank but 11 through 17 contain devices.

Same situation seems to apply to:

Unit 6710- 5/2 Punjab
Unit 6731- 4/14 Punjab

In addition it may also apply to Units 6736, 6737 and 6738 as they also have the same designations for slots 11-20
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I see that version 4 of DBB is dated 10/29/2010 and it looks like there might be some additional items to be changed. I am wondering if there is a plan to have a version 5 released at some time?
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I see that version 4 of DBB is dated 10/29/2010 and it looks like there might be some additional items to be changed. I am wondering if there is a plan to have a version 5 released at some time?

Yours is the best sig around. Just wanted you to know.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Same situation seems to apply to:

Unit 6710- 5/2 Punjab
Unit 6731- 4/14 Punjab

In addition it may also apply to Units 6736, 6737 and 6738 as they also have the same designations for slots 11-20

Is it possible to get an acknowledgment of this issue so we can change it ourselves if necessary?
JWE

Post by JWE »

Been busy. Fix 09, 10, and 31; 36, 37, 38 are ok.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: JWE

Been busy. Fix 09, 10, and 31; 36, 37, 38 are ok.
I understand you have been working on a lot lately.

Buck
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

Not sure if it is intentional or not, but LCU #5550 1st Port Maintenance Engineer Battalion, has the TOE set as 2469, which is a base maintenance engineer battalion, instead of 2468 like the other port maintenance engineers.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”