How to organize Red Army on Jun 22

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Klydon

RE: How to organize Red Army on Jun 22

Post by Klydon »

That is one of the things nice about this game; more than one way to do things. I also put in a strong defense for Leningrad (AI stopped at the Luga River), but did not do a huge build up for Moscow until a bit later. (Figure Odessa is on the door step, Leningrad is a favorite target and closer, and Moscow is the farthest away and easiest to get troops to, etc). I find Odessa to be an interesting gambit to play around with and while I think it can be worthwhile, I am sure there are counters to it, etc. 
G Felzien

Post by G Felzien »

Regarding Corp HQs, I have chosen to park them in the rear till the auto disband. It cleans up the important parts of the map and saves APs.

My question now is, how do you build RR Brigades? I can seem to find it. I will be doing T3 shortly.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: GFelz

Regarding Corp HQs, I have chosen to park them in the rear till the auto disband. It cleans up the important parts of the map and saves APs.

My question now is, how do you build RR Brigades? I can seem to find it. I will be doing T3 shortly.
Disbanding Corps is around 80 AP's. I would rather keep them they have mostly disbanded on turn 6 for me.

To build support unit.

Open HQ window

Click assign form

Click build new checkbox for new unit, select su to pull from higher HQ

Click on support unit to build or to assign

I am moving my mountain divisions to garrison duties such as the Crimea entrance. Because Ive had two SHATTER and they dont come back.

They are better there rebuilding than on the front line.
G Felzien

Post by G Felzien »

Thanks Cookie, I'll look for it and try it out.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Hmm, I didn't realize mountain divisions might not come back, that would be rather annoying, about half of them are more or less doomed or at best start in a risky location.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: alfonso

ORIGINAL: Marquo

"One thing, is it better to use the relocate unit function for a isolated HQ or allow the Axis to displace."

These are the only 2 ways....the relocate function seems to kill leaders more than displace...but maybe this is a simple bias of observation. 

Lol, same to me

I relocated just once, and the leader was killed, and then read the scary tale of Tullius Detritus killing Vasilevsky, if I remember it OK. I just stopped relocating...that's the origin of superstitions, isn't that?

Yes, you are correct. I did assassinate Vassilevski on Turn 1 [:D] The good thing is that I don't think I'll need him to massacre my PBEM opponent [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Hey PzB, right, a clown is impersonating you [:)]

For those who don't know PzB, he is one of the BEST and OLD WitP PBEM players [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Enough of the brown-nosing let's get back on topic.[:D]

What do you guys do with the Anti-Tank brigades?

I used most for speed bumps which promptly SHATTERED. Which I now regret.

I'm now running outta MANPOWER every turn so I have begun to DISBAND the 3 remaining brigades. The devices go back to the pool, it's the manpower I crave.

Notice the tooltip when you hover over DISBAND UNIT? Its now fairly obvious. That manpower is seperate from devices and the two are put together on deployment.

I am also wondering whether to DISBAND the AA units, yes I will need them in the future, but surely the manpower can be put to better use, in making guns,BIG GUNS and lots of them!

I'm also PISSED that my Mountain Divisions SHATTERED they aren't auto replaced unlike the other units. I now have them busy fortifying the Crimea. A secondary role for them, so they may be preserved.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

If a sub unit has a larger version, I disband the smaller units. (IE, since there are sapper regiments, I disband the sapper battalions). Motorcycle regiments go away as well. I didn't do a lot with the AT units to start with, but I have been disbanding them to get those 85MM AT guns back into the pool as sub units. 
randallw

Post by randallw »

They are not 85 mm AT guns, they are 85 mm AA guns. 85 mm AT guns show up in the 2nd half of 1943 ( or later ).

AT brigades are semi-pitiful; they get clobbered in the early part of a battle, since they have no howitzer type equipment, and there are no sappers, so they dig in verrrrry slowly.  The 45 mm AT guns are decent but the amount is not great.  Pre-war planning, the brigades were supposed to be big, with over 100 AT guns but apparently they failed to build enough.

cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

I might have to retain those motorcycle regiments. The AI is on the outskirts of Leningrad. I am hoping to get 18 SU's commited for a defence of Leningrad itself.

Another thing... Ive had 30 plus ARTY SU's get destroyed,. I'm now checking them for UNREADY condition via the commanders report, to rotate them back to STAVKA.

Cavalry Corps are going as well, as they dont disband as fast as the others at turn 6. Im outta manpower every turn with 120,000 losses.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Bah, my bad on the 85 mm AT vs AA guns.

45 mm guns I consider about as useful as the German 37 mm although I am sure PZ II's disagree.
randallw

Post by randallw »

The Axis player is likely to reach the Riga area on turn one, cutting off Sov units to the west; they can still possibly escape through one of the two ports.  The northern port has a fort region, which can be disbanded so a 3rd unit can be moved there to evac by ships.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Frantically reading this as I've just finished my first turn against two different Axis opponents, and I need some inspiration.

You just don't have enough AP points to do anything!
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Frantically reading this as I've just finished my first turn against two different Axis opponents, and I need some inspiration.

You just don't have enough AP points to do anything!

Encircled:

you do have enough points to do SOMETHING, but only one SOMETHING. The trouble we are all having is figuring out WHICH something should be to one we do [:D]

With that said, when playing the Russians in the 41 GC I change a single leader (Zhukov to Leningrad Front) and then concentrate on sorting out the command chain mess you start with. I do NOT change other leaders (they just die on you and it doesn't make much difference anyway the first month since the entire army just sucks at first). I do NOT create support units (the leaders are so bad and/or overloaded that they never commit them the first month anyway). I do NOT reallocate any HQ since it is way too expensive. Hint: when I can't move a unit from one Army to another cheaply, I find it can be cheaper to move STAVKA HQ nearby, move the unit to STAVKA and then move it to my desired destination the next turn

Now everyone is different but that is my basic AP strategy through July: sort out the C&C including disbanding corps HQs and fortified zones (aka deathtraps). Beginning in August I try to change a leader once a month and start creating construction SUs (RR repair brigades) to support fortifying. Then by October I have leaders here and there so I begin to add support units other than RR repair brigades.

But as I said, everyone has different ideas. NOBODY is likely to agree with my strategy or anyone else's either. [:D]

Enjoy the game!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I used to disband Corps all the time. At the moment, it's only around 3 or 4. The 9th Mech is always the first.

I build FRs from Rzhev to Vyazma to Bryansk down through Kursk and Kharkov and stack STAVKA divs with them.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

I used to disband Corps all the time. At the moment, it's only around 3 or 4. The 9th Mech is always the first.

I build FRs from Rzhev to Vyazma to Bryansk down through Kursk and Kharkov and stack STAVKA divs with them.

See! I told you so! I disband FRs and Aurelian is building them! [:)] No two people will do the same thing.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: pompack

See! I told you so! I disband FRs and Aurelian is building them! [:)] No two people will do the same thing.

That's one of the gems of this game. Many viable ways to play[:)]
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

That's one of the gems of this game. Many viable ways to play[:)]

But I thought the game was broken!
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
randallw

Post by randallw »

There are enough APs on turn 1 to swap out Pavlov, if he is not dead already, with a better leader for Western Front; the leader you want ( Zhukov or Konev are the best options ) is already in charge of something so the AP cost will be heavy.

All support units cost 1 AP to build; the larger construction units have excellent digging capability.  You'll want a bunch of those early.

Return to “The War Room”