Various Air Issues and other things in 1.03 b6

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

ussdefiant

Various Air Issues and other things in 1.03 b6

Post by ussdefiant »

Yello, just updated to beta 6 and wanted to offer some input on a couple of issues that's become apparant after running the attached turn.

1) It is nice that the Red Air Force is running Interdiction strikes into the teeth of the Fascist Pig Dogs, but the effectiveness would be MUCH enhanced if any bombers ever accompanied the large swarms of fighters that sacrifice themselves for the glory of the Motherland.

2) The Fascist Pig Dogs, in turn, appear to be quite uninterested in performing their own Interdiction strikes. I surmise, from what i see during turn execution, is that this is due to them appearing not to perform any Recconaissance missions for themselves, neither on turn execution nor any notable activicity in any prior turns in this game (all run under b5).

3) Partisan supply appears to be borked in some way. When i run the turn, only 2 of the 5 partisan battalions on the map recieve any visits from the large and numerous bomber forces sitting in my VVS bases, with one recieving over 210 tons of supplies (which i have no idea if they're supposed to be getting that or not, with only 30ish partisan squads), but neither of the units show any of the effects of being showered with supplies the next turn, with no NKVD or heavy weapons showing up for them, and no increment of supplies appearing for them either. In addition, i strongly suspect that the bombers in the DBAD bases i had set to night missions did nothing, despite what the manual claims.

4) For some reason, when i'm looking in the detailed combat reports for turn resolution, i see ZIS-3 field guns damaging things, notably amoung the Finnish border, yet i've not seen any of those in the Production screen, and they're only supposed to show up in 1942.

5) Looking at the CR, i can't help but notice that air base units seem to be getting solely wins on their records, and quite a high number at that, with 6 SAD having 27, for instance. I'm not quite sure how they're getting numbers like that with the numbers listed for accruing wins for air units in the manual(which i assume are the same for leaders and units).

Attachments
QuickSave.zip
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
cookie monster

RE: Various Air Issues and other things in 1.03 b6

Post by cookie monster »

1. Set your interdiction attack higher. You will find a setting which is right through trial and error. The default of 50 means 50% of bombers from the calculated AI desire for that raid will fly.Make sure you have enough ready bombers.

2.IIRC you need a DL of 2 to be interdicted.

The AI is not flying any RECON missions in my game in betas 3 version 4 & 5.
ussdefiant

Post by ussdefiant »

i find that the vast majority of my current Interdiction strikes come after the Germans have kicked in the initial lines and started moving those up to the next ones, as scuh , there are generally very few bombers left to fly attacks. I'd much rather have interdiction missions with no bombers avaliable get scrubbed.
randallw

Post by randallw »

I also noticed the lack of recon missions by the AI;  it hadn't registered in my mind until only recently.

The number of interdiction attacks by the comp against me have increased with the most recent patches.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

5) Looking at the CR, i can't help but notice that air base units seem to be getting solely wins on their records, and quite a high number at that, with 6 SAD having 27, for instance. I'm not quite sure how they're getting numbers like that with the numbers listed for accruing wins for air units in the manual(which i assume are the same for leaders and units).

They are different. Air bases registering only wins when planes flying from there are getting a kill credits. It is used only by Soviet Guards conversion so far.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

ORIGINAL: randallw

I also noticed the lack of recon missions by the AI;  it hadn't registered in my mind until only recently.

The number of interdiction attacks by the comp against me have increased with the most recent patches.

I'm not sure the AI is constrained by FOW so it doesn't need to fly any recon missions because it knows where everything is. Probably has a DL10 on every one of your units.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Actually it is limited by DL levels just as a human player, so it should fly recon when appropriate. Is this lack of recon a new behavior, and if so did it just start with beta 6?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

I don't believe I've seen AI do recon for a couple of beta versions now. I haven't been really paying attention since I assumed the AI ignores FOW. Then I thought it was my message settings but increasing the message detail and reloading various turns still doesn't show any recon.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: carnifex

I don't believe I've seen AI do recon for a couple of beta versions now.

I can confirm this.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

from B3 to B5 the Soviets were flying recon missions in the "road to" scenarios.
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

I seem to have a problem related to this new patch where the Luftwaffe interdicts its own side as I move German units around on the map. [:(]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Are you sure they aren't Soviet aircraft interdicting you? I'm seeing a lot more interdiction flights now by the Soviets, even in 41.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ussdefiant

Post by ussdefiant »

i've not noticed any recon by the Axis for a long while now.
von Beanie

Post by von Beanie »

One thing I'd like you to check is partisan resupply. In the game I started with JiMAM (Beta 2) I had lots of supply flights each turn and very active partisans. In the game with QBall (started under Beta 3) I have not had a single partisan activate, and almost no supply flights at all. In fact, I set EVERY LB and TR aircraft in the Soviet air force to night missions and did not get a single supply flight. AFAIK, I'm not doing anything differently in these games, so perhaps it is a air unit change that started with Beta 3.
"Military operations are drastically affected by many considerations, one of the most important of which is the geography of the area" Dwight D. Eisenhower
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

on t2 of gc under beta5 playing germans soviets few alot of recon missions.
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Seeing Soviet AI recon before and after upgrading to Beta6..

One thing I'd like to see though, is if all planes in a recon flight are destroyed, the player (or computer) should not be able to OBSERVE the area and thus no units are spotted...

ChadG
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
ussdefiant

Post by ussdefiant »

Another thing i've just noticed, a lot of Red bombers apparently aren't interested in launching attacks against any Axis units amoung the front. Although there are tons of SB-2 units ready to fly, especially at the 19 BAD base in SW Front, nothing but fighters fly when i launch a automatic attack, and only fighters appear when i shift-right click on the unit to be bombed. Save attached.
Attachments
QuickSave.zip
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Senno

Post by Senno »

I'm seeing quite a lot of recon by both Soviet and German AI's in my 2 beta 6 games. Same with interdiction. If you don't keep your bases close to the front to counter-interdict it can hurt an awful lot now. Makes it exciting.

I'm attaching aa companys to my panzers now directly, to see if that makes any difference in local defense, as well.[:)]
Senno
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

I would if theres one unit the axis must protect its the panzers

Return to “Tech Support”