Construction & repair speed

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Zenra

Construction & repair speed

Post by Zenra »

I had a C-ship repair an abandoned space port and it seemed to take forever - at least longer than I seem able to build new ships and bases from scratch. So, I tried sending another C-ship to help, but could find no way to assign the second constrictor to the job. Is there a way to assign more than one C-ship to a job? If so, will it speed the work?

I was also wondering if it would do any good to design a C-ship with two or more Constructor components. Can a C-ship make use of multiple construction components (like a base can)? Would this make a C-ship faster at repairing things?

(I do realize this would be straightforward to test but I am traveling for a couple of days and unable to run DW - just plotting for my return.)

I am researching tech that will speed construction time, but I expect the lengthy time it took the C-ship to complete the repair at a remote location was due to the need to transport resources there? It seems when I send a C-ship out to build a mining station, for example, that it leaves home with the materials needed, but not so when I sent it on this repair mission. Is that perhaps because it first needed to survey the damage and then order up the parts? I assume the needed materials were delivered by private freighters, but I never saw any headed there (but I didn't watch the whole time, either).

Interested in anybody's thoughts or experience on the subject - thanks.
Mitchell
Data

RE: Construction & repair speed

Post by Data »

No, they cannot both work on the same project but you can remove the first one and then send the second one with fresh supplies.
The construction yard components also do not stack so adding more will not speedup the repair / construction, it will only allow you to do two jobs at once.
You are correct about the need for fresh resources to finish the job, this is the main reason for slow build...or stalling.
You are correct also about the repair behavior as opposed to the construction one.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Wreck

Post by Wreck »

Two constructors cannot do the same thing.  However, when one stalls (as they often do), you can always stop it, then assign either it, or a second constructor.  Often you'll find that if you stop it and re-order it, it will zoom off first (presumably to get whatever material was blocking it from progress). 

Yes, you want the highest tech components on the constructor, and more is better.  I use the ratio of 3:1 industrial to others, on the word of veterens who've tested it I guess.  Don't forget to have a large cargo hold, though.  That's where the constructor will have, hopefully, enough of whatever materials that it will not block.
Data

Post by Data »

A little clarification, Wreck talks about the manufacturers which have that ratio. They also do not stack per se as a component will be made from resources by one manufacturer alone. But obviously having more of them means that you can make more components of the same type at the same time.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Wreck

Post by Wreck »

Ah, did not know that.  Here's a related question: when repairing a ship or base, do the manufactures matter?  Are components being manufactured?
Data

Post by Data »

Good question, I can only speculate here. Since in DW we see components get damaged but not a % of damage I think they are completly destroyed. So the CS will need to both manufacture and assemble them.
If not, we could send a CS without manufacturers to check this out. I don't think it will work, the model in DW seem to be rigid here: resources, manufacturers, construction yard.

But it's worth a try. I think manufacturers are mandatory on a CS and I don't think we can use the editor to alter the components of a ship, need to think a little bit more about this.
Now it time to bathe the kid so got to run [:)]
Kianykin

Post by Kianykin »

Civilian freighters will eventually dock with a c-ship and give it missing materials when it stalls. Just seems to take a while before the freighter arrives
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

There seems to be some serious confusion about repairs by construction ships here.

Most repairs do not consume resources. The only exception I am aware of is the repair of the World Destroyers or Devastation Moon Project capital ships. The speed of all other repairs should only depend on your Space Yard technology and in no way on the manufacturing components of the constructor ships. If you are in doubt, you can verify by looking at the constructor ship's cargo hold. I am not 100% sure regarding abandoned star bases, but in the much more common ship graveyards I have never seen a constructor going for resources before a repair (and I looked often).

Even regarding the few repairs that require resources: When I looked at my constructors in my last game while they were repairing the World Destroyer capital ships, all components that could be manufactured were ready after a comparatively short time, a neglibibly short time compared to how fast the repairs progressed. Although in both cases not all resources required were present on the construction ships from the start, the repair didn't stall at all in either case (I got both World Destroyers in that game), because the resupplying freighters came in time with their load.
Wreck

Post by Wreck »

Most repairs do not consume resources. The only exception I am aware of is the repair of the World Destroyers or Devastation Moon Project capital ships.

What about repairing a never-completed base? When you stop work on a new thing you are building, then it will be in a semi-finished state. And you get the "repair" icon (the hammer) for it when you mouse on it.

It seems like there might be an exploit here:
(a) start a base
(b) immediately stop construction
(c) repair it
Data

Post by Data »

sbach2o was refering to other ships / bases that you find, not the ones you build and stop building.....for these you still need the resources / components to complet the construction
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: Wreck

Most repairs do not consume resources. The only exception I am aware of is the repair of the World Destroyers or Devastation Moon Project capital ships.

What about repairing a never-completed base? When you stop work on a new thing you are building, then it will be in a semi-finished state. And you get the "repair" icon (the hammer) for it when you mouse on it.

It seems like there might be an exploit here:
(a) start a base
(b) immediately stop construction
(c) repair it

I never checked this case thoroughly, I do not know for certain how the game handles this case.

I can remember one case where a constructor was stalled at building a far outlying mining base because of a lack of resources. I stopped construction when no supplies were coming forth via freigthers and then ordered the constructor to repair the base in the hope that it would load the missing resources at the nearest planet. I did not observe whether the constructor did go to a planet an the resource in question just wasn't present, but later it was again working on the base with the same resource shortage in its hold and all reserved goods just as before.

In summary, this lets me beleive that (thankfully) aborted construction projects are handled differently from abandoned bases or ships. But as noted above, I am not 100% certain about abandoned bases. It is more an extrapolation from my much more consistent experiences with derelict ships. Bases are a bit rarer. I think I did look a couple of at times how constructors handle these and that I would have memorized, if it was in any significant way different, but I've mixed up things before.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”