Idea on VPs

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Q-Ball

Idea on VPs

Post by Q-Ball »

It's too early IMO to implement this idea, but as we see games progress, I would like to consider this one. And, it probably involves a code change, so not sure if it's even feasible.

I would like to see VPs awarded on a turn by turn basis for cities.

Basically, this means awarding a certain number of VPs per turn you occupy a city. You could even award them ONLY on certain turns, or increase/decrease based on the turn. For example, the Soviets might be awarded 0 or 1 VPs per turn for KIEV on turns 1-6, but starting turn 7 maybe 10 per turn. The Germans same thing; maybe they get alot of points for capturing Kiev before turn 10, and less thereafter.

The idea would be to make geographic objectives more important. At the moment, I don't think they are really, other than Berlin. I am not sure what the incentive really is for the Germans to launch a 1942 offensive, other than to keep it interesting, but why waste Wehrmacht resources, if you can't pocket large amounts of Soviets? What does it really matter if you take Kharkov in 1942? Other than temporary occupation of the Manpower, not much.

Anyway, too early, but I think something like this might make the game more fluid, and force alot more risk-taking on both sides.

I think an incentive to take offensive risks is needed. Right now, the primary objective is to kill the other guy. If you can't get a reasonable kill ratio, no reason to attack.

Klydon

RE: Idea on VPs

Post by Klydon »

Another incentive (besides VP's) would be to include national moral bumps to a couple of locations. Leningrad and Moscow for sure. Possibly Stalingrad as well. 

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”