Squadron upgrade vs Partial squadron upgrade

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bradfordkay

Squadron upgrade vs Partial squadron upgrade

Post by bradfordkay »

Why is it that some squadrons which are capable of upgrading as a whole squadron cannot do so when divided into partial squadrons?

This isn't across the board - I have some partial squadrons that can upgrade, and some that cannot. So far, either all of the sections in a squadron can upgrade or none of the sections can upgrade. It's not the location, nor the HQ that seems to matter.

I'm not talking fragments, but legally split sections (A/B/C sections).
fair winds,
Brad
michaelm75au

RE: Squadron upgrade vs Partial squadron upgrade

Post by michaelm75au »

Can you supply specifics where it isn't happening?
Base, AF size, supply, ...

Seems strange if it is an issue that hasn't been happening all along.
Michael
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It's in a PBEM, so I was reticent to provide more details.

The units are scattered at different bases, but all bases involved are at least L7 with 20k+ supplies.

The units I am dealing with are my recon units. The Australian one that is equipped with B339-23(PR) will upgrade to a P43-A-1 and then to a F4 when whole (in Townsville at the moment), but will not upgrade past the P43-A-1 when separated into the sections. I was hoping to have one section with the B339s, one with the P43s and on with the F4s. I am hoping that as time passes one of the sections will allow the upgrade to F4.

My USAAF F4 squadron sections will upgrade to F5A, even though there is only one F5A available in the pool. My USMC (USN? the game isn't up and running at the moment) F4F-3P squadron sections will not upgrade to F4F-7 (now they are scattered at the moment so I am not sure if the whole squadron will upgrade to the F4F-7 or not).
fair winds,
Brad
ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It's in a PBEM, so I was reticent to provide more details.

The units are scattered at different bases, but all bases involved are at least L7 with 20k+ supplies.

The units I am dealing with are my recon units. The Australian one that is equipped with B339-23(PR) will upgrade to a P43-A-1 and then to a F4 when whole (in Townsville at the moment), but will not upgrade past the P43-A-1 when separated into the sections. I was hoping to have one section with the B339s, one with the P43s and on with the F4s. I am hoping that as time passes one of the sections will allow the upgrade to F4.

My USAAF F4 squadron sections will upgrade to F5A, even though there is only one F5A available in the pool. My USMC (USN? the game isn't up and running at the moment) F4F-3P squadron sections will not upgrade to F4F-7 (now they are scattered at the moment so I am not sure if the whole squadron will upgrade to the F4F-7 or not).

Ah, come on... you can tell me. I won't tell my alter ego!

I haven't seen this issue with any of my units but then again I think I only tried it once. Japanese upgrades are far fewer and tend to occur much later than allied ones so can't really help you there. I wonder if it's related to PDU being off.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

bump...

Does anyone have any idea as to why the Aussie recon squadron will upgrade to the F4 when whole, but not when divided into sections A/B/C? 
fair winds,
Brad
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Can you give me a save when this is happening?
I can check why it is failing and then see why it works with combined group.
Michael
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I can send you the turn where the whole squadron is still B339s, or I can send you a turn with two sections as P43s and one B339. The first would show you that both upgrade steps are available to the whole squadron but not to the sections. The latter (which is where my game is now) only offers the P43 upgrade.

PM me your address (if I hit the e-mail choice here I can't add any attachments).
fair winds,
Brad
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Ah! Just dawned on me what you might be asking.
I thought that you couldn't upgrade groups when split.

You question is actually about the upgrade path and if it is carried over to the split groups.
The answer is 'No it is currently not being copied over.' This looks to be something I must have missed and will add.
Michael
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The strange thing is that the USAAF recon sections can upgrade to the F5A (currrently flying the F4 and are broken into sections). So I am guessing that what you are saying is that the Australian squadron didn't get that option (of the upgrade being carried over to the split groups). Now I know, so I can accept the situation. I'm guessing that there is no fix for it. One problem is that now I have two sections as P43-A-1s and one as B339-23(PR)s and they will never be able to recombine. Does this mean that the squadron is screwed from here on out? Once I run out of B339s and P43s it will never be able to upgrade? 
fair winds,
Brad
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Yes, you would need all sub-units to have same plane to recombine.

The USAAF. Do they start out/arrive as sections of a parent group? If so, then their group path might be defined in the editor.
It is only groups that are split through the parent group's air menu, that would be affected.
Michael
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

You mentioned that you might be able to fix this. Would the prospective fix be able to work on the units in my game, or would it require a restart? 
fair winds,
Brad
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

It will be fixed in the next beta drop when splitting groups..
But groups currently split would not know the future upgrades.
Michael
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Ouch... that turn pre-split was a week ago, so I guess that my Aussie squadron will be forever stuck with inferior aircraft unless Chez wants to back up a week. 
fair winds,
Brad
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Different tack... if I disband the disparate segment (I have two with the P43 and one with the B339 - so I'm talking about disbanding the B339 segment leaving only two P43 segments), can I then combine the other two segments and upgrade the squadron on its normal path? Does anyone know? 
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”