Intel, do you use it?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

themetalcrow

RE: Intel, do you use it?

Post by themetalcrow »

so it is useful and can be effected by the player?

this is probably the wrong forum but it's about intel/recon. im also looking into "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" and "War in the east"

is there an intel/recon system in those games as well? how does it compare?

overall are they pretty similar types of games, with regard to depth and options and details?

thanks garrett
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: themetalcrow

this is probably the wrong forum but it's about intel/recon. im also looking into "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" and "War in the east"

overall are they pretty similar types of games, with regard to depth and options and details?

thanks garrett

First buy this game. You will then be assimilated, resistance being futile. It will then be unnecessary to spend money on other games. Put the extra money into a retirement account.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Damn there went $60.00. "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich", Happy President's Day to me!
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Bald Michael

Post by Bald Michael »

im thinking about buying this game, but $90 is no joke for me. i really like that intelligence isn't completely accurate, but is there any way in game to make it more accurate? or is it always completely unreliable?
if it's never reliable, doesn't that make it a pointless feature?

thanks garrett

Garrett, I understand your concern about the money. I had the same problem. I finally decided to go for it two months ago -- absolutely no regrets here. I know the the intelligence was accurate the time I used it (described above). I've taken similar action on intelligence and no TFs showed up. I see the ambiguity as reflecting the realities of war.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The more I play the game, the more enjoyable I find intel and information gathering.

...and the more useful I find that information - critical even.

...and the more I learn how the other side can use it to create misinformation.

Man, it's a blast and it's rich and it adds an incredible element to the game (and I don't even use Tracker or any other device).

witpqs is right - the Allies get much less useful information in the game than they got in real life. In real life, they usually knew where the KB was, or at least where it wasn't, for instance. You don't get that very often in the game, unless your opponent discloses his carriers through ignorance or an important mission.

Canoerebel -

I can only agree with your assessment. The intell and Sigint reports are full of important (and often critical) information - and are very useful.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

themetalcrow -

AE is worth every penny - literally an investment for a lifetime's worth of playing.

Do hope that you will join us,

Mac
LAV-25 2147
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I almost never look at intel. Current enemy ships being sighted is shown on map as the red Japanese ship icons, and usually just rely on that. The only thing actually care to read(atleast in my current PBEM Campaign) is combat reports.

thanks garrett

WitP:AE > WitE > EGtBTR (I have all three games)

IMO
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
themetalcrow

Post by themetalcrow »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I almost never look at intel. Current enemy ships being sighted is shown on map as the red Japanese ship icons, and usually just rely on that. The only thing actually care to read(atleast in my current PBEM Campaign) is combat reports.

thanks garrett

IMO
good to know, now do you like all 3 and are all 3 fun and worth their price?
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

thanks garrett

IMO
good to know, now do you like all 3 and are all 3 fun and worth their price?

IMO, WitP:AE and WitE are EASILY worth the price. I'm having a blast with both games and their is nothing like the excitement of a WitP:AE PBEM. Eagle Day on the other hand....it's great game but it needs a pretty decent sized patch. And at being $60 I would wait until the next patch comes. All in all though it is a fun game, and my Battle of Britain fix.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
zace

Post by zace »

This system is an AMD one but I do have an Intel laptop.
themetalcrow

Post by themetalcrow »

one last thing. reading all these forums it seems like most think the AI is useless and no fun to play. i don't really do multiplayer so i do need a good fun AI. is the AI actually that bad, or is it just too easy for the real experienced players? im just looking for a challenging fun play experience that is dynamic and replayable. also, ive never actually played these types of wargames before, so i don't need a real hard unbeatable AI opponent.

So does the AI provide a fun, dynamic, and at least challenging opponent?

garrett
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

one last thing. reading all these forums it seems like most think the AI is useless and no fun to play. i don't really do multiplayer so i do need a good fun AI. is the AI actually that bad, or is it just too easy for the real experienced players? im just looking for a challenging fun play experience that is dynamic and replayable. also, ive never actually played these types of wargames before, so i don't need a real hard unbeatable AI opponent.

So does the AI provide a fun, dynamic, and at least challenging opponent?

garrett
Sounds like you'd be fine with the AI in AE.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

And if you are good enough to beat the AI start a PBEM, playing against a human player is simply the best.
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Not sure what it counts for but I play WitP and Witp/AE since they were released - Allied against AI only.
If time permits every day.
Meaning (including the early version of PacWar) about 20 years.
Only against AI.
Convinced ?
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

Second cockroach analogy tonight but where there's one theres a million. Jap intel may not tell you who's picking their nose at the Green Geisha bar in Maizaru like the allies does but something like "radio transmissions detected at 34,78" in the middle of nowhere can be a jackpot if you send the right TF.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

im thinking about buying this game, but $90 is no joke for me. i really like that intelligence isn't completely accurate, but is there any way in game to make it more accurate? or is it always completely unreliable?
if it's never reliable, doesn't that make it a pointless feature?

thanks garrett

No my earlier point is that it is "sometimes" accurate and helpful (for the Allies mostly). You have to learn how to read it.

Anyways, you should buy the game. For $90 bucks you go downtown and get a cheap hooker for about an hour-or buy the game and get hundreds of hours of entertainment. And if you are an Allied fanboy you can usually expect a "happy ending".[:D]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

IIRC, and that certainly is not guaranteed, some time back one of the people-who-should-know pointed out that the "Radio transmissions detected..." message indicated extra intelligence was available when hovering the cursor over the hex in question.  I've found this to be the case about half the time on a normal message, a higher percentage when a heavy volume is reported.  However, the hovering technique is almost never helpful in an ocean hex because the TF that may or may not be there has already moved on and is now undetected.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Any intel at all is useful. Whether the task force is there or not. There several options. Increased air searches, vectoring subs, task forces, Increase CAp in possible threatened areas, etc. It's a crap shoot. And that is only one aspect of all the enjoyment I get from WitP-AE.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

I dont read it, not enough time - it is more crucial for me to move forward in game time a.t.m. You should note that putting together decent and huge enough invasion fleets+armies takes massive amount of time :( So I need to skip some of the game features (as well some of the micromanagement like training etc.)

Also ca. the half of the Jap carriers are sunk anyway and the rest seem to be scattered near New Guinea anyway.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

@ Canoerebel: "Reconnaissance and patroling are important aspects of the game. You can influence them through the quality and quanitity of the forces committed, size of the area patrolled, weather effects, etc. "

I would even say THE MOST important aspect. But the intel reports are not part of that neccesary, the flyboys are still THE recon asset in the game. The other one would be recon by battle (or force).

@ witpqs: "First buy this game. You will then be assimilated, resistance being futile. It will then be unnecessary to spend money on other games. Put the extra money into a retirement account. "

I would agree, except the retirement account. Think of the inflation to come.....maybe invest in raw materials and energy but not "paper" money (OT yes)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”