War Reports from the Eastern Front: Carnage vs Redmarkus

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Aurelian

RE: Turn 35 Entire Front Map

Post by Aurelian »

Love the maps.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Finally here are the casualties figures for the blizzard. I hope this helps the testers/developers with any information collection they need. I'm happy with the loss ratio so far Red lost almost as many troops as I did during the winter. Most of mine where disables, most of his I believe where killed. A dead Commie is as good as a captured Commie in my book [;)].

Attachments
Winter41..sualties.jpg
Winter41..sualties.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 56 times
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

I think you've made an error on your OOB picture. At this time all of the totals are exactly the same for pre/post blizzard.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Thanks Cookie for seeing that mistake. Here is the updated OoB numbers.

Attachments
Winter4142OoB.jpg
Winter4142OoB.jpg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 56 times
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

I think by turn 53, you are going to be about level on men, possibly up a bit. You might be a little light on Artillery and AFVs, but not by much, and well up in Aircraft. Sovs are going to be up 750k+ due to the late introduction of 1.03 to this game.

Your start line for 1942 is interesting. AGS is about 15 hexes short of historical, so it is a long way to Stalingrad, but the bridgehead in the Taman makes the population (20) in Krasnador(sp) a juicy target. You also have a good jumping off point for a right hook against Leningrad. I would be making a strong push on Krasnthingy when the weather clears in May, divert his attention to the south then go hard for Leningrad, and then Moscow, while trying to get AGS to the Voronezh/Rostov line.

Edit: You need to think hard about the TOE%s you set for each army and army group. You will be able to get about 50% of your infantry divs to 80%+ TOE.
It's only a Game

CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

What your saying Big A is good food for thought. I'm currently looking at several options for operations south of Moscow all the way down to Crimean that will consist of all four panzer armees. I might do only general infantry offensive actions in the north by Leningrad. I know Leningrad is important but I don't feel that at this time it is a reachable target unless I commit all four panzers to attack it. Even then I have my doubts with the right hook option will work. I feel that I have better chances of success in the southern areas for my massive offensive plan.

Right now I'm just working on getting all my infantry units to a basic 50% TOE, some are better than others but I haven't quite worked out who is getting what for TOE percentages.

Like last turn, 37, this turn 38 will not have a map. Not much of anything has changed from turn 36. I'm finding that making any eastern front all out assault is impossible. After every offensive action, 2/3 of my infantry divisions become unready, prime target for some of Red attacks he keeps making in certain areas. I'm finding that I must be super selective in any actions I undertake, and those will be few and far between.

Attachments
OKHSITREP38.jpg
OKHSITREP38.jpg (130.62 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

The condition your armoured forces came out of that must please you as the ratio is not out of control. The Luftwaffe too also came out in great shape which should help against the increase in the intensity of the airwar to come. The only cloud of relative strength on the horizon is the massive leap in Russian artillery numbers, you definately dont want to be static when he is able to deploy them.
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Top-notch AAR; got the game a couple of days ago and I now see how much there is still to learn. Loving every second of it though. Great game, so many possibilities.
CarnageINC

Turn 40

Post by CarnageINC »

The armored forces fared relatively well, some units are in bad shape (50-65% TOE). Thanks for the kind words Ramses and welcome to the boards.

I must of missed posting turn 39, for I have no record of it and my game has been overwritten. Nothing much went on except a major Soviet amphibious invasion I was fearing all winter finally appeared.

I've put together the fronts as they stand now. I may not touch on the fronts again unless something major happens so this spring will be mostly boring stuff I'm sure.

Attachments
leningrad31942.jpg
leningrad31942.jpg (180.84 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

RE: Turn 40

Post by CarnageINC »

Here is the Rzhev Front. The important thing is I'm pulling all my panzer units off line for rebuilding and relocation.

Attachments
rzhev31942.jpg
rzhev31942.jpg (213.76 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Smolensk Front, I'm going to fight for the city as soon as I can regain some strength back for my infantry divisions.

Attachments
smolensk31942.jpg
smolensk31942.jpg (198.43 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Kursk Front, nothing going on here but reorganizing my corps back to original positions.

Attachments
kursk31942.jpg
kursk31942.jpg (159.17 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Kharkov Front, again I'm just reorganizing my corps here.

Attachments
kharkov31942.jpg
kharkov31942.jpg (175.48 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Stalino Front, I'm rock solid here. I've added my Reserve Corps in the south to 2nd Armee to help bolster the line. I'm shifting some divisions northwards to help cover the front.

Attachments
stalino31942.jpg
stalino31942.jpg (185.74 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Finally the Crimean Front. I've waited all winter long for Red to do what he has now done. His amphibious lands have put in peril 3 divisions for sure. I don't think 1st Panzer has enough strength left to extract them, but I will fight hard for them if possible!

Attachments
crimean31942.jpg
crimean31942.jpg (153.37 KiB) Viewed 56 times
randallw

Post by randallw »

Sure a lot of tired units on the maps.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

I see you now have blizzard infantry, otherwise known as a whole front's worth of Rumanians.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: randallw

Sure a lot of tired units on the maps.

Yes they all are quite tired. I'm not really happy with how brutal the winter was and how slow it seems my army is trying to bounce back. As Mynok say, I have ARMY's worth of blizzard infantry. It is quite a disappointment that every attack I make I'm now only ....only...having 1/2 my infantry forces go into unready state. Red has picked up on this and is now making localized attacks here and there. He really could start another offensive if he choose to do so and I would be helpless.

Not to bitch and moan but I think this will be one of my last Axis pbem games until some sort of better balance comes about for the Axis first winter. I'm not asking for supermen to spring out of the ground but I'm asking for infantry across the board that are not Romanian quality after a hard winters fight. There is no way I can make a historical counter attack after playing a historical type defense against Red's somewhat historical offensive... boo hoo for me...[:D][:'(]

Ah...I'm just blowing off steam I'm sure. It is frustrating not to make any sort of attack without being pushed into an unready state.

I did manage to save my Corps in the Crimean and destroy a good bit of Russians to boot. Red knew I was coming with the panzer's and had not choices but to assault my divisions without isolation first so they routed out of the trap and to safety.

Attachments
crimean32642.jpg
crimean32642.jpg (135.08 KiB) Viewed 56 times
gids

Post by gids »

very good AAR ,i followed every step.And yes the blizzard has been and IS been discussed bigtime :p .not alot of Axis players who keep playing after the first blizzard.im playing a game with latest beta 5 and maybe that will be a bit more reasonable and logic,but dont give up youre defense during the winter turns was great,although i doubted to use your Panzers divisions?but i see the point in it though,if you leave 1 hole during the blizzard youre pretty much done for
FB jacky heusequin
Josh

Post by Josh »

"...Not to bitch and moan but I think this will be one of my last Axis pbem games until some sort of better balance comes about for the Axis first winter. I'm not asking for supermen to spring out of the ground but I'm asking for infantry across the board that are not Romanian quality after a hard winters fight. There is no way I can make a historical counter attack after playing a historical type defense against Red's somewhat historical offensive... boo hoo for me...[:D][:'(] ..."

Well I agree, your units look pretty wasted, not much fun having div. around with 3-4-5 CV. Maybe things will change with the next couple of patches?
It could also be that Red is an extraordinairy good player, after all he's been playing wargames for the last fourty years or so. I thought he'd lost the game a few pages back, and look at the situation now.

Return to “After Action Reports”