AE Map, Base, Economic Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mikemike

RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues

Post by mikemike »

Question: is there a way to define an off-map base for the Japanese? The reason I ask is that I want to make a mod where the Japanese are supplied with a limited number of certain devices they can't produce (and need not to produce), similar to what the Allies can do with convoy units (which don't work for Japan). I intend to define a base in an out-of-the-way place as the location for permanently restricted holding units which disband at specific dates, dumping their devices into the pool. These units would have to be present from the beginning of the scenario, and obviously I wouldn't want the Japanese player to have access to them or the Allied player to be able to attack them. Optimally, they would sit somewhere invisibly, without impacting the game in any way, until the time comes to give their devices to the world. That base wouldn't even have to be visible. I could define a base someplace in the Mongolian boondocks, but then it is visible and may be accessible to air and even land attacks. What solution would you propose for this problem?
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: mikemike

Question: is there a way to define an off-map base for the Japanese? The reason I ask is that I want to make a mod where the Japanese are supplied with a limited number of certain devices they can't produce (and need not to produce), similar to what the Allies can do with convoy units (which don't work for Japan). I intend to define a base in an out-of-the-way place as the location for permanently restricted holding units which disband at specific dates, dumping their devices into the pool. These units would have to be present from the beginning of the scenario, and obviously I wouldn't want the Japanese player to have access to them or the Allied player to be able to attack them. Optimally, they would sit somewhere invisibly, without impacting the game in any way, until the time comes to give their devices to the world. That base wouldn't even have to be visible. I could define a base someplace in the Mongolian boondocks, but then it is visible and may be accessible to air and even land attacks. What solution would you propose for this problem?

You could define an off-map base for the Japanese. There is no restriction (that I am aware of) for making an off-map base Japanese owned. That should work. What there IS a restriction on, is any movement of Japanese units between off map areas and the main map. But for what you have described that should not be an issue, since it seems you just want Japanese units to appear there then disband?

The best way to do it would be to create a small "off map" area in some part of the map edge, and put a Japanese base there. Note that this means: changing the map art, changing the map data, changing the scenario data.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Andrew, does witploadAE have settings to dump/load the map data the way it does the scenario data? Or, better to ask, what should we use to look at it?

WitploadAE doesn't do it (that I am aware of). You need to ask jwilkerson about map data availability, as I don't believe I have the authority to give the information away.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Barb

Japanese resources and fuel requirements are supposed to have civilian needs included - limiting troop lift capacity of merchant navy.

Yes that is correct.

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: tacfire

Hi Andrew,

I was wondering why Wewak has the smallest AF build capacity (2) of all the bases in Northern New Guinea? I admit that I am no expert, but I thought that was Japan's main AF there during the war.

Airfield SPS values are all based on terrain. Do you happen to know how many aircraft the Japanese based in that area at their peak?

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: che200

Hi Andrew,

I have reached june 1945 in my game against the AI(japan) and decided to take a sneak peak on the dark side and i discovered that the okhas were not being produced, I asked on the tech forums and redirected me here. Is there supposed to be a factory producing okhas in tokyo ? in Witp there was in AE unfortunately ther is not. My okhas have their payload greyed out btw.

Yes I believe there is an error with the Okhas (a missing factory), but the latest patches have been exe only patches, so there is no scope to fix it (outside of mods).

Andrew

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Andrew, does witploadAE have settings to dump/load the map data the way it does the scenario data? Or, better to ask, what should we use to look at it?

WitploadAE doesn't do it (that I am aware of). You need to ask jwilkerson about map data availability, as I don't believe I have the authority to give the information away.

Andrew

Oh - I thought that was mod-able as it was in WITP. I didn't know it was non-disclosure.
ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

Having a problem with Japanese engine production. Ha-32 engine production is at a standstill. Zero, zip, zilch, nada! It started when I tried to expand the factory. It reset to zero and has been there ever since. I tried converting known working engine factories such as a Ha-35 factory to Ha-32 and still nothing. The factories will not repair but engine factories such as the Ha-33 and Ha-35 that I have expanded or converted do. It seems to apply only the the Ha-32 factory. The Ha-35 factory that I converted to Ha-32 production was converted back to Ha-32 and now it won't repair.

This could be a game stopper as we are playing with PDU off.

Suggestions???

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: tacfire

Hi Andrew,

I was wondering why Wewak has the smallest AF build capacity (2) of all the bases in Northern New Guinea? I admit that I am no expert, but I thought that was Japan's main AF there during the war.

Airfield SPS values are all based on terrain. Do you happen to know how many aircraft the Japanese based in that area at their peak?

Andrew

Andrew, I believe a book written by one of your countrymen called MACARTHURS EAGLES said Wewak had something like 300+ and was a shuttle point from the Phillipines to the rest of the theatre..

BTW, it is a fascinating read!

NOTE:As a "staging area", I do not mean to imply 300 planes could operate from there..

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/ ... index.html

fcharton

Maps without text

Post by fcharton »

Hi,

Is a version of the game map without text (and hexes) available somewhere?

As a part of a small "playing help" project, I was trying to rotate the map. This would allow to have local game maps for India, or China, with the north pointing to the top, or have "other side of the table" view if someone wants it. But then the names all over the map get rotated.

So, what I'm looking for, ideally, would be :
- the full map background, without text (at least the text over the playing space...)
- if it exist, the list of the text and their positions on the map (this I can work by myself anyway)

Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance,
Francois
CapAndGown

RE: Maps without text

Post by CapAndGown »

These are discrepancies between the map art and the actual map data. I think the art is correct, not the data:

Taberfane, 82, 117 art - Jungle, data - clear
Kaimana, 83, 113, art - Jungle, data - clear
Waigeo, 82, 106, art - Jungle, data - clear
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

These are discrepancies between the map art and the actual map data. I think the art is correct, not the data:

Taberfane, 82, 117 art - Jungle, data - clear
Kaimana, 83, 113, art - Jungle, data - clear
Waigeo, 82, 106, art - Jungle, data - clear

Thanks - you are right. These are errors which I will fix. Hopefully for inclusion in the next patch.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: fcharton

Hi,

Is a version of the game map without text (and hexes) available somewhere?

I'll look into making one available.

Andrew

fcharton

Post by fcharton »

I'll look into making one available.

Thanks a lot, no rush of course. The best format would be a map without text, and a separate file with the text and its position (left or centre hex).

A quick question... The hexes on the game map are not hexes, basically they are 42 pixels across, and 38 between two hexrows. The real value should be about 36 (that's sqrt(3)/2 * 42). I have noticed, though, that the game engine seems to be compensating for that. I remember reading somewhere, perhaps on this thread, actually, that this is a feature of the Witp exe.

Does it mean that any "user map" should abide with this slight stretch of the vertical dimension?

Thanks in advance,
Francois
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

Andrew

Oh - I thought that was mod-able as it was in WITP. I didn't know it was non-disclosure.

It is moddable, but as I mentioned I don't believe I have the authority to publish the layout of the map data. Please ask jwilkerson about that.

Note that the old WitP map data was moddable in the same way. I (and a few others) just had to work out how the map data was stored by trial and error. The information was never provided by Matrix.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: fcharton
Thanks a lot, no rush of course. The best format would be a map without text, and a separate file with the text and its position (left or centre hex).

A blank map I should be able to provide fairly easily. A list would be harder, but it is something you can do yourself if you us WitPLoadAE to get the base data.
A quick question... The hexes on the game map are not hexes, basically they are 42 pixels across, and 38 between two hexrows. The real value should be about 36 (that's sqrt(3)/2 * 42). I have noticed, though, that the game engine seems to be compensating for that. I remember reading somewhere, perhaps on this thread, actually, that this is a feature of the Witp exe.

Does it mean that any "user map" should abide with this slight stretch of the vertical dimension?

Good question, and you are correct - the WitP hexes are stretched vertically by about 5% as compared to true hexes. I offered to correct this when I started designing the AE map, and wanted to do so, but it was vetoed, so the AE hexes are exactly the same shape as the old WitP hexes.

I compensated for that by stretching the AE map vertically by the same proportion before adding the hex overlay. That makes the game distances more correct (since they are calculated using the hexes), but means that the art is stretched by 5%, which is not very noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Andrew

inqistor

North Borneo Railway

Post by inqistor »

There is short rail line in north Borneo, between Beaufort, and Jesselton. But it actually ends at hex edge of Jesselton, so is unusable. I have found, that line was finished in 1903, but destroyed during WWII. So, is it bug, or WAD?
witpqs

RE: North Borneo Railway

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

There is short rail line in north Borneo, between Beaufort, and Jesselton. But it actually ends at hex edge of Jesselton, so is unusable. I have found, that line was finished in 1903, but destroyed during WWII. So, is it bug, or WAD?

I think you answered your own question. If it was destroyed during WWII, then it was a judgement call on the part of the developer whether to put it in or leave it out. That situation exists with everything that was either built or destroyed during WWII as they have only the option to leave it in or leave it out for the entire time.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

I think you answered your own question. If it was destroyed during WWII, then it was a judgement call on the part of the developer whether to put it in or leave it out. That situation exists with everything that was either built or destroyed during WWII as they have only the option to leave it in or leave it out for the entire time.

Line have like 3 hexes, so not much reasons to use it anyway, but cutting it at outskirts seems strange.
Ldeathbow

Post by Ldeathbow »

I SNAFU'ed (or is it a FUBAR?). I tried to convert an air factory to build B5N2 Kates, but the original factory was small - or damaged, or both - in any event, the factory now shows if I mouse over the city as "B5N2 Kate 0(0)" but the industry screen does not show it at all. I suspect this is because you are limited to doubling the size of any factroy in any SINGLE upgrade and 2*0 is still ZERO :( As it sits, I have lost that factory for the entire game (or I backup to before the mod) - luckily this is me against AI so my call on how to deal with it.

Would it be possible to change the "increase production" so that it has a minimum increase of +1 (not allowing players to "create" factories, just allowing them to recover from this sort of mistake)?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”