Mouse over pop-ups?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

TPM

Mouse over pop-ups?

Post by TPM »

I just downloaded the update, and I'd really like to get into it, but I can't get past these annoying mouse-over pop-ups...when I hover over a unit, for example, a "close-up" shot of the terrain along with some text comes up...is there any way to turn this off? I apologize, I've looked for it in options, etc., and I can't find it. Thanks.
berto

RE: Mouse over pop-ups?

Post by berto »

Play -> Player Options -> Tool Tip Show

set this to some very high number, e.g., the max: 100000
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Easiest way to change it - Game Screen - Options -> Default Options -> Classics Defaults

kLiNk, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

Hi,

Can you tell me, if you change it back to "Classic Defaults" as above, is it just the interface you are changing (ie no more detailed pop-ups, right-click brings up options to plan attack/attack as a group etc.) or does it go back to more fundamental differences "under the hood" ?

Thanks
Chris
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Hiya mate!

It affects the interface changes and some advance options e.g. new supply, new turn order. But that's easily reviewed and changed.

kLiNk, Oberst

P.S. Checked it again, hence the "edit".
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

Many thanks.

I love the new graphics, particularly close up (a little less sure when zoomed out).  The pop-ups are useful but a little distracting, so I think I'll just delay them for a while and keep on with the new interface to see how it grows on me.  The new supply etc. sounds like a significant advance so I don't really want to turn it off if I can help it,

Thanks again,
Chris

marjur

Post by marjur »

IMO, the tool-tips can be quite helpful but their location is often a pain in the arse because they they appear very close to the hex, sometimes even covering it a little bit; they also cover much of the surrounding area.

How about changing the location of the tool-tip box in a future patch, e.g. noticeably lower or higher than the hex we want to inspect. I think about 1 or 2 centimetres away wouldn't be a bad idea.

TPM

Post by TPM »

ORIGINAL: marjur
IMO, the tool-tips can be quite helpful but their location is often a pain in the arse because they often cover the are that you want to inspect, particularly the the hex that you want to focus on - they appear very close to it, sometimes even covering it a little bit.

How about changing the location of the tool-tip box in a future patch, e.g. noticeably lower or higher than the hex we want to inspect. I think about 1 or 2 centimetres away wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks for the tips guys! Regarding the above post, maybe it should just have a "permanent" place in the interface, say in the upper left or right, or bottom left or right, of the screen?
mamnich24

Post by mamnich24 »

Dear Guys,
I'd like the pop-ups to stay on longer. I've tried setting the two lines in Play/Player options, and it doesn't seem to help.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike
emcgman

Post by emcgman »

The new tool tips don't seem to stay on for more than 5 seconds no matter what you set the delay to. If you set the the hide delay to 100 seconds, the tool tip still stays on for only about 5 seconds. Although the location isnt optimal, I still like the new tool tips, especially for the terrain picture.

Could you please take a look at this when you have a chance, thanks.

Also, this new upgrade is AWESOME, especially the new map grahics.

Thank you, Matrix and TOAD!!
berto

Post by berto »

I have both delays -- Tool Tip Show, Tool Tip Hide -- set to 10 seconds. Indeed, things are working as intended, in particular with the tool tip vanishing after 10 seconds display time.

(BUT: I did try an experiment of, in-game, setting the Tool Tip Hide to 20 seconds. The display time remained at 10 seconds. Not sure what's happening here. Maybe one has to exit and restart for Tool Tip Show, Tool Tip Hide changes to take effect?)
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Lipa

Post by Lipa »

ORIGINAL: TPM
Regarding the above post, maybe it should just have a "permanent" place in the interface, say in the upper left or right, or bottom left or right, of the screen?

This would be very useful indeed. I think SPWaW has something like this implemented as an option - you can either have tool tips at the location of the mouse, or somewhere up above in the corner of the screen...
mamnich24

Post by mamnich24 »

Dear Guys,
My experience is that after setting the tool tip values, you have to exit. The next time you open the game with the new values, the delays will respond correctly. Changing the values in the options does not seem to take immediate effect.
Mike
Iron Stringbean

Post by Iron Stringbean »

For what its worth, I set my "tool tip show" value to 1500 and my "tool tip hide" value to 50, and it really works well for me. It's long enough so it doesn't pop up (usually) unless I want it to, and it stays up long enough for me to actually read the information.
[8D]
akdreemer

Post by akdreemer »

My preference would be to be able to switch it off/on. It is annoying, to say the least.
1_Lzard

Post by 1_Lzard »

AlWar,

set as these for an OFF status: toolTipHideDelay=0 toolTipShowDelay=9999999
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I like that also, have the tooltip placed somewhere else on the screen, it is useful
Templer_12

Optional tooltip place

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Lipa

ORIGINAL: TPM
Regarding the above post, maybe it should just have a "permanent" place in the interface, say in the upper left or right, or bottom left or right, of the screen?

This would be very useful indeed. I think SPWaW has something like this implemented as an option - you can either have tool tips at the location of the mouse, or somewhere up above in the corner of the screen...
Second!
Gary Grigsby's War in the East use an option like this. A setting you may set the exact place for the tooltip.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”