CLOSED - Need Top Notch IJ Opponent - CLOSED

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

CLOSED - Need Top Notch IJ Opponent - CLOSED

Post by Canoerebel »

Gents,

Pardon me for being very discriminatory here, but I am looking for a top-notch IJ player. I'm warning you, I'm going to be very selective, but I need the Japanese player to be aggressive, very experienced, and with a long, long, stellar track record in the forums (IE, somebody known to be reliable).

This will be Scenario Two (or a similar mod giving Japan a number of advantages to work with). I'm open to dicussion on this. I'd like PDU off, though I'm also open to discuss this and wouldn't insist. I think I prefer one-day turns, but I would consider two-day.

House Rules:

1. No strategic bombing by either side in SEAC (including China, India, Burma, and Indonesia) or the DEI until 1944.

2. A commitment to keep the other player informed when turns won't be coming or other things come up (so that neither player is left hanging in the air wondering when the next turn will come; usually, the players develop a routine and constant emailing isn't necessary, but sometimes RL interferes and courtesy is appreciated).

3. Anything else that seems particularly important to you.

I live on the East Coast USA, but I only play at work (I'm the boss, so it's okay). I am good for multiple turns during working hours (around 8 to 6) during the week, and usually for one to three turns each day during the weekend. I am seldom available during the nightime hours, because that's family time.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
SqzMyLemon

RE: Need Top Notch IJ Opponent

Post by SqzMyLemon »

You lost me at "experienced" and "aggressive" as I'm still a rookie [:D]. Good luck Canoerebel.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks, SqzMyCitrusFruit. [:)]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Goodness...hmmmm...

How about I email you Dan?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Email sent...

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'm still looking for a match that would meet (or exceed) the paramaters set forth above.

John sent an email, but what he's looking for isn't quite what I'm looking for, so I wrote him back. As stated above, I am being very, very particular here. Maybe too particular, but let's see if anyone "takes the bait" before switching lures.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Pardon me for being very discriminatory here, but I am looking for a top-notch IJ player.

Awww....that rules me out! [;)]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Dan and I had a pleasant exchange of emails and his is, as always, a good human being and friend.

I'm tied to RA (working on the Mark 3 Version) and am not interested in Scenario Two as I feel it make the Japanese way TOO powerful.

Who wants to take on this worthy opponent?!!

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Poultrylad, I know thou art tied up with your own games, but you would be high on my list were you available. After all, a Yankee like you needs to come to the South to get some sun on them pasty white arms and legs of yours.
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

I'm still looking for a match that would meet (or exceed) the paramaters set forth above.

John sent an email, but what he's looking for isn't quite what I'm looking for, so I wrote him back. As stated above, I am being very, very particular here. Maybe too particular, but let's see if anyone "takes the bait" before switching lures.

Awwwwwwww. I felt a little twitch of excitement there for a minute. Putting popcorn away now. That would have been good. Besides I don't think you would want to play John in Scen 2 anyone. Afterall he almost invaded the entire map with BigB 1.4 in WiTP. Just think what he could do in with so much more map. Just kidding but it would still have been fun to watch

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Awwwwwwww. I felt a little twitch of excitement there for a minute. Putting popcorn away now. That would have been good. Besides I don't think you would want to play John in Scen 2 anyone. Afterall he almost invaded the entire map with BigB 1.4 in WiTP. Just think what he could do in with so much more map. Just kidding but it would still have been fun to watch

Thanks for putting me on the floor with laughter!

There is no doubt that Dan and I will rematch some day. We are completely agree upon this topic. Our WitP Campaign was a great pleasure and we have fond memories of all the blood, sweat, and tears...

undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

how experienced is experienced? you want a CV? if it is me - i am however only tied to prob no more than 2 turns a day.......

and John 3rd is and always has been my inspiration!!
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

I live on the East Coast USA, but I only play at work (I'm the boss, so it's okay). I am good for multiple turns during working hours (around 8 to 6) during the week, and usually for one to three turns each day during the weekend. I am seldom available during the nightime hours, because that's family time.
I read this and thought you meant 8 to 6 turns a day during the week (while at work). Considering it takes me around an hour to get into the groove and finish a turn- I was staggered to see you could get through so many turns while at work (even as the boss.) But then I figured out that 8 to 6 are your working hours.................I think [:D]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

how experienced is experienced? you want a CV? if it is me - i am however only tied to prob no more than 2 turns a day.......

and John 3rd is and always has been my inspiration!!

BANZAI!

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I'm a novice as Japan since my only experience into '43 is salvaging John's economy in his game with you. [X(] He is still trying to run it into the ground again and will not take the time to read the charts to see where the sandbars are located.

I have one game using scenario 2 as Japan that is getting to the end of July '42 and a second as the Allies playing against a novice Japanese player that is at the end of April 42. This is his first game as Japan and we will restart once the patch comes out. I am playing teacher here and I get to learn more about the Allies again. I hope to get John to try out RA v3.0 once he gets it done.

I'm a Yankee living in the South so I should get bonus points for putting up with their lack of skills in dealing with snow. Just 1" is enough to close school until "mother nature" melts it. [8|]

You should try playing Japan, Dan. There are plenty of us that will help you out. You cannot be a worse student than John has been. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

...and I name these two guys FRIENDS...
[X(][:D]

Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Well, to be fair, failure to get a grip on the economy or the appropriate subordination of the operational to the strategic has been an enduring theme.

That's fine if you are going to get into a team game in which you run operations and others run your economy and grand strategic apportionings but it appears Canoerebel isn't looking for a 1 vs many game but a 1 vs 1 game. And in that a failure to control the economy is going to cause Japanese failure long before any Allied actions would.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

...ever so delightful...Thanks Sir!

Seem to remember you were part of that "one vs. many" mentioned for the last game against the Master Canoe! It was a great campaign...

undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

has Dan retired to some secret underground base to consider all proposals?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Gents, I've been off all day hiking in the mountains with my boys, so I'm just now getting caught up.

I've had several emails from some of the real AE "names" - not only experienced players, but good guys. It would be a privlege to take on four or five of the gents I've heard from.

Bear with me as I want to make one more effort to try and entice Nemo into playing. The challenge of playing him is what got me started with the idea of starting another game. He declined, but I want to give it one more shot. I can be pretty persuasive when I want to....wait, on second thought I don't think I am particularly persuasive given my road record with females over the years.

[X(] [:(]

If Nemo declines again, I'll try to somehow select from the good offers made by others. How does one choose between Mary Ann, Ginger, Jeanie, and Samantha Stevens (Bewitched)?

Return to “Opponents Wanted”