Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update!

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

SeanD

Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update!

Post by SeanD »

New rules, improved graphics, sharper AI and plenty more coming in this massive update

Matrix Games and the TOAD Team are thrilled to announce that a new mega-update for The Operational Art of War III is now available. The comprehensive 3.4.0.202 update comes with pages upon pages of improvements, new features, and fixes. Here is just a small overview of the many improvements found in the update:
  • New turn order rules to equalize the sequence of events and phases for both players. The original turn structure is still available as well.
  • A brand new and improved supply system that is much more detailed and realistic than the old system. The original supply system is still available as well.
  • New rules to address gamey “ant unit” tactics such as a new system called the Assault Ratio which makes the Attacker Assault Strength value much more realistic.
  • Over 50 new community-created scenarios.
  • Almost a dozen significant changes to the combat model.
  • 40 user interface improvements and optimizations.
  • Several graphical enhancements including alternate place name fonts and bitmaps that will scale with zoom level.
  • Improved customization and editor functionality – now XML files can be used wherever DLL files are used and more graphical mods are now supported.
  • Improved AI.
  • More and improved language support.
  • Better cheat prevention.
  • Many bug fixes.
  • Plenty more!
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This update includes so many significant and exciting improvements to The Operational Art of War III, it’s practically a new release! The TOAD team has put so much extra detail and shine into this classic wargame with this update that there’s never been a better time to jump on board and try your hand at the premiere simulation of operational warfare! ”

Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War is a legendary title among wargamers. A masterpiece of flexible design, it allows you to play and create any battle from the entire 20th Century of warfare and up to the modern day. Now, Matrix Games together with Norm Koger and a new design team bring you the definitive release of this unsurpassed operational wargame – The Operational Art of War III.

The Operational Art of War III sets a new benchmark in operational wargaming. Step up to the challenge - Master the Art of War!

Get the update here. The update is comprehensive and will bring all previous versions of Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III to version 3.4.0.202. Get more information on Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III from its official product page.

Also be sure to check out the fresh batch of screenshots now up on the product page to show off the new graphical and interface enhancements!
Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Silvanski

RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update!

Post by Silvanski »

Baghdad Bob says...

Attachments
AlSahaf.alsahaf.jpg
AlSahaf.alsahaf.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
The TOAW Redux Dude
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Thanks, but what blind nut thinks its 33mb big?
Lipa

Post by Lipa »

Thanks TOAD & Matrix!!

One silly question... being a comprehensive update, this means that it can be applied to a fresh install, without any previous patches, right?
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

It does Lipa.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

And also over the 201 Beta Patch?
berto

Post by berto »

Whoa, that settles it. No WITP:AE for me this weekend. It's back to the TOAW trenches I go.

Thanks for finally releasing the official patch! [&o]

woot!!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

This is a great day! Thanks to all parties involved. [&o]
blackknight1916

Post by blackknight1916 »

I really don't like the new graphics, tooltips, etc. I'm sure I'm very happy with new scenarios and under the hood changes, but is there some way I can get this to look and interface the way TOAW did before? I don't even know how to launch an attack now. I can't just right click and drop down to "all units attack" etc. Very jarring experience.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: blackknight

I really don't like the new graphics, tooltips, etc. I'm sure I'm very happy with new scenarios and under the hood changes, but is there some way I can get this to look and interface the way TOAW did before? I don't even know how to launch an attack now. I can't just right click and drop down to "all units attack" etc. Very jarring experience.

In the start screen: Options -> Default Options or in game: Play -> Default Options. This will reverse TOAW to the old behaviour.
blackknight1916

Post by blackknight1916 »

Thanks...any way to get the old "3d counter" look back, short of a re-install and not patching to this version?
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

I've not played this game much, though I've had it forever. Just wanted to thank those who have spent so much time and effort into the update!
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Thanks...any way to get the old "3d counter" look back, short of a re-install and not patching to this version?

Turn off PNG graphics in the Advanced Rules Dialog.

Note that reading the "What's New" in the main folder may answer a lot of questions before hand.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

And also over the 201 Beta Patch?

Short answer is yes.

But there will be a slight issue: The Win98 and Slow (Avalon) versions from 201 will remain. Their names were changed in 202. So delete those old versions if you were using them - and make new shortcuts to the new versions.

Note that the main (Opart 3.exe) version has no such issue. Its name is the same, so the old version will be overwritten by the new one.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
berto

Post by berto »

I have taken the precaution to retain a special, older, TOAW III 3.2 installation. Especially for older scenarios that never get updated and/or won't work well with the newer version, I anticipate always keeping that pre-3.4 version.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

This is great.....it's been what?  Three years?  Thanks for all the hard work.
el cid

Post by el cid »

great news. Thanks for all the work.
sprior

Post by sprior »

Now I'm going to have to find the install set and play it again.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

ORIGINAL: berto

Whoa, that settles it. No WITP:AE for me this weekend. It's back to the TOAW trenches I go.

Thanks for finally releasing the official patch! [&o]

woot!!

Blasphemy!
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Very nice !! Up and running on both the XP and '98 machines took just a couple of minutes. Thanks very much ... ain't the beer cold !!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”