Public Beta v1.01 for Star Sentinel Tactics

Star Sentinel Tactics is a turn-based tactical game that puts you in command of a squad of elite United Alliance marines - the Star Sentinels - as they battle to stop a race of bloodthirsty reptilians launching a devastating attack on our Galaxy! Along the way you'll have to use sharp thinking and effective tactics as you encounter giant mechs, rotting zombies, mutants and a host of other foes - all intent on your destruction!
Andrew Loveridge

Public Beta v1.01 for Star Sentinel Tactics

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Hello All,

We have an update that addresses a lot of the issues brought up since release. You can find it in the Members Club, under Registered Downloads. You will have to Register your game if you have not already. We hope to make this official soon, but thought you would like to see where it stands. Please remember this is a beta, and any feedback is appreciated.

Change History:
v1.01 Beta
  • New Features
    • Added "Force2D" to game.ini settings to disable positional audio.
    • Added "MouseBorderBottom", "MouseBorderLeft", "MouseBorderRight" and "MouseBorderTop" to game.ini settings to manually adjust mouse scrolling.
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug which could cause the game to crash if you skipped a cutscene.
    • Fixed a bug in the AI which could cause the game to crash.
    • Fixed a bug in the AI which could cause the game to hang.
    • Fixed a bug which prevented the second mission from being finished if you
      completed the tasks in a certain order.
    • Fixed a number of potential crash issues resulting from specific saved games.
Andrew Loveridge

RE: Public Beta v1.01 for Star Sentinel Tactics

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

To adjust the Mouse scrolling you will need to manually change the Game.ini file in your Star Sentinel Tactics Data folder.
This is found in your Local AppData under your Users folder, something like this C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\FabulistGames\StarSentinelTactics.
Open the Game.ini, and find the following entries near the end;

MouseBorderBottom=0
MouseBorderLeft=0
MouseBorderRight=0
MouseBorderTop=0

By default they're zero, but if - for example - the mouse doesn't scroll right, you could change it to read MouseBorderRight=1 or MouseBorderRight=4, etc.
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Loveridge

To adjust the Mouse scrolling you will need to manually change the Game.ini file in your Star Sentinel Tactics Data folder.
This is found in your Local AppData under your Users folder, something like this C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\FabulistGames\StarSentinelTactics.
Open the Game.ini, and find the following entries near the end;

MouseBorderBottom=0
MouseBorderLeft=0
MouseBorderRight=0
MouseBorderTop=0

By default they're zero, but if - for example - the mouse doesn't scroll right, you could change it to read MouseBorderRight=1 or MouseBorderRight=4, etc.

Andrew I still can't get my mouse to scroll on the screen bottom. Works fine left, top, and right, but nothing on the bottom. I've tried editing MouseBorderBottom=1 and =4 but still no movement.

The ini is located: C:\Documents and Settings\Stilletto\Local Settings\Application Data\FabulistGames\StarSentinelTactics

Thank you.
When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

"Ms. Betty has sharp thorns, but underneath is a delicate flower." -ltfightr
PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

I can't reproduce the problem, so I have no way of determining the correct values. The values Andrew gave are just examples, so you'll have to experiment to find the correct value. I have no idea why DirectX is returning incorrect values.

Alternatively, if you play in windowed mode, the problem shouldn't exist. I have now removed the Windows cursor - which was annoying some people when playing in a window - so playing in windowed mode should now be an acceptable option. Performance is not affected by playing in windowed mode.
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

ORIGINAL: PhilSST

I can't reproduce the problem, so I have no way of determining the correct values. The values Andrew gave are just examples, so you'll have to experiment to find the correct value. I have no idea why DirectX is returning incorrect values.

Alternatively, if you play in windowed mode, the problem shouldn't exist. I have now removed the Windows cursor - which was annoying some people when playing in a window - so playing in windowed mode should now be an acceptable option. Performance is not affected by playing in windowed mode.

I've noticed something. The actual scroll starts when the tip of the cursor hits the edge of the screen. On my screen the cursor never gets that "low". It stops about 1/4 of the way off the screen so the tip of the cursor which starts the scroll never reaches the edge. This is only for the bottom for me. Top, left and right work fine.

One thing I might suggest is to test it with Matrix's wrapper. I can get around the problem by going into options, clicking on windowed, save, non windowed save and it works fine. Something else I've noticed is that when I start the game it doesn't bring it to the forefront but leaves in minimized in the taskbar. I have to select it to open it.

None of this breaks the game for me. I'm still enjoying it tremendously. If I'm the only one having the problem, then so be it. Just trying to be helpful.

Good turn based games based on small unit tactics are hard to find. I also enjoy giving my money to the little developers instead of the big guys who could care less what my computer is doing.

Hopefully the mod tools will be released!

PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

If it's a quarter of the way off the screen, it sounds like you need to set a higher value than 4. Play around with different values and set it on the lowest value which actually lets the mouse scroll.

You make a good point on testing the version with Matrix's wrapper on it. I probably did test with the unwrapped version. I'll try testing with the wrapped version and see if it makes any difference. I'm guessing you're playing at a widescreen resolution?
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

You would be correct. 1920x1080 resolution. I'll play with the mouse settings turned way up then work my way down and see what happens.

PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

Thanks for the info. I have a computer which is connected to a 1920x1080 monitor, so I'll get the Matrix-wrapped version of the game running on that computer over the weekend and see if I can at least reproduce this problem. It would be nice to have a proper, simple fix for this in 1.02.
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

So I turned it up to 40 and it worked. Turned mouse down to 30 and it worked. Then I got lazy and left it at 30 where it works just fine. So I'm happy with it at 30. So my mouse problems are gone.

Return to “Star Sentinel Tactics”