'A Space Port in each system'

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Apheirox

'A Space Port in each system'

Post by Apheirox »

Space ports are bases that provide many important
services. Space ports must always be built at a colony.

They serve as a central trade point for the player, and mined
resources are brought to them by freighters and mining
ships. Space ports provide construction facilities for the
player, and both private and state-owned ships are built
at space ports. When private citizens purchase freighters
or other ships at these ports, the player earns income.

Space ports also have heavy weapons which protect its colony,
research facilities for scientists, medical facilities and recreation
centers which keep the population happy. The player should
have one space port in each system where they have colonies.

Resources collected by mining ships, as well as excess
resources at mining stations, are brought to the nearest
space port. Therefore, having space ports strategically spread
throughout the empire improves efficiency by decreasing travel
time for freighters. To cycle through space ports, press P.

Quote, the game manual.

I want to ask the experts around here, is it truly a good idea to have a space port in each system? I haven't tried custom-building a small space port yet, but I assume even if you do it won't exactly be light on maintenance.
Sabin Stargem

RE: 'A Space Port in each system'

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Ya. They help with boosting morale on planets if you use the Recreation and Medical components, plus they serve as a shipping, storage, and construction hub. I personally use Small and Large stations, with the latter having all of the goodies, while the former is just meant to entertain the masses until the larger station is finished.
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

ORIGINAL: Sabin Stargem

Ya. They help with boosting morale on planets if you use the Recreation and Medical components, plus they serve as a shipping, storage, and construction hub. I personally use Small and Large stations, with the latter having all of the goodies, while the former is just meant to entertain the masses until the larger station is finished.

Agree ^ you need and should have Spaceports in every system. Think of them as Recreation and Rest Stop centers without having to land on planets like in Babylon 5.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Apheirox
Space ports are bases that provide many important
services. Space ports must always be built at a colony.

They serve as a central trade point for the player, and mined
resources are brought to them by freighters and mining
ships. Space ports provide construction facilities for the
player, and both private and state-owned ships are built
at space ports. When private citizens purchase freighters
or other ships at these ports, the player earns income.

Space ports also have heavy weapons which protect its colony,
research facilities for scientists, medical facilities and recreation
centers which keep the population happy. The player should
have one space port in each system where they have colonies.

Resources collected by mining ships, as well as excess
resources at mining stations, are brought to the nearest
space port. Therefore, having space ports strategically spread
throughout the empire improves efficiency by decreasing travel
time for freighters. To cycle through space ports, press P.

Quote, the game manual.

I want to ask the experts around here, is it truly a good idea to have a space port in each system? I haven't tried custom-building a small space port yet, but I assume even if you do it won't exactly be light on maintenance.

I build a small space port on every planet, and larger ports on more important planets.

1. The port gives the medical/recreation bonus to the planet, which should be affecting growth rate.
2. Planets with ports are far less likely to revolt.
3. Each port increases bonus income, which is the reason I can have 2+ million cash on hand by end game.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Depending on my economy, small spaceport on every planet over 50% quality, medium spaceport on 75% and over planets and large spaceport to big planets of 80% and over. Has worked out nicely for me. Planets with loros fruit or some other super rare resource get at least medium spaceport.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Depending on my economy, small spaceport on every planet over 50% quality, medium spaceport on 75% and over planets and large spaceport to big planets of 80% and over. Has worked out nicely for me. Planets with loros fruit or some other super rare resource get at least medium spaceport.

I base mine purely on population. <500m = small, 501m-2b = medium, 2b+ = large. Basically it is just a personal preference though, everyone has their own system.
Distant Worlds Fan

Data

Post by Data »

I haven't played in a while but afaik you still have to design the small spaceport yourself in order to include the morale boosting medical and recreational centers.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Depends on the race, Data.&nbsp;
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

right, J, that is correct....I'll have to diversify the races with which I'm playing
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Has anyone cosidered when building a Large whether it is best to build a small then upgrade twice?&nbsp; Sometimes it's nice to get everything up and running on the port as soon as possible, Large can take a looooong time if the Colony is small.
Is there much difference in cost this way?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Has anyone cosidered when building a Large whether it is best to build a small then upgrade twice?  Sometimes it's nice to get everything up and running on the port as soon as possible, Large can take a looooong time if the Colony is small.
Is there much difference in cost this way?

In my case, a large has 12 construction bays, so it is prohibitively expensive to build a large on every planet.
Distant Worlds Fan

Data

Post by Data »

I think Haree78 said that even where you build a LSP it is best to start with a small one and upgrade it....and indeed this way is best as you get what you need faster and then can increase (by upgrading to larger versions) the number of construction yards, cargo bays, docking bays and all that stuff
this is how I do it also....expect late game when you already researched faster construction techs and even new planets have the potential to build faster
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

Cost is based on components, so it if the end result is the same it shouldn't make any difference if you build a large space port straight away or small -> medium -> large, but with the latter route you get the benefits quicker.

Economics has changed in various patches and between DW and RotS, but I usually have a 'minimal' spaceport design which includes recreation and medical and build that one per planet, even if a system already has one.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

Thanks for replies.

New question: You say one of the reasons to build the space ports is the morale boosting. But isn't boosting morale a moot point on newly founded colonies with 15M citizens? They provide exactly 0,0000001% of your income. All that matters are your main colonies, particularly capital. So, it doesn't really help increase revenue nor increase growth rate, since these colonies are max happy anyway?
Data

Post by Data »

don't think only of taxes, Apheirox, think also of war weariness and possible rebellion....there is also development that is boosted by these facilites; and development is in everything: growth rate, research potential and many other aspects
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

I set colony building on auto and tell them to build a medium spaceport (mega) which is my custom one at every colony. Its about the same size as a Large but is classed as 'medium'. I find it really helps with rebellion and makes EVERYONE happy!
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

ORIGINAL: Data

don't think only of taxes, Apheirox, think also of war weariness and possible rebellion....there is also development that is boosted by these facilites; and development is in everything: growth rate, research potential and many other aspects

I understand about the value of keeping happiness high to prevent rebellion etc, but what is this 'development' you speak of? Both the medical and recreation centres of space ports increase only happiness as far as I'm aware - and unless excess happiness (15+) increases growth rate I don't understand its merits. As far as I know the only way happiness increases growth is by attracting emigrants better.

Also, if space ports everywhere are good, why isn't the AI building them? Most planets don't get one.
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

That is because the AI is flawed in some respects.
Data

Post by Data »

the more facilities you have at a colony or in orbit the more developed that colony is considered; there are also other factors (like luxury goods) that boost development but this is also one of them
development in turn is used to calculate lots of things like your strategic value and that in turn gives you other things...for example, strategic value / 16 gives you your research potential
these are all rough explanations as there are more complex elements to factor in

best is to check the galactopedia, it's in the game home under /help....search for "development" on that folder and check all the goodies [;)]
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

Well, the development concept is nothing new to me. I just thought it came from luxury goods only. Nowhere in the manual nor galactopedia does it say anything about increasing development through other means than luxuries.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”