War across the Atlantic - Smeulders (Allies) vs. SqzMyLemon (Japan)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Smeulders

28 August Update

Post by Smeulders »

Losses are in and even though only 5 Hawks were lost in the replay I'm down 15 planes due to write-offs and ops losses. Pilot losses are low though and 14 kills are claimed with probably an additional 5 Ops.

For the 29th the Invasion fleet for Baker has started loading at Pago Pago. Unfortunately, the harbour is not in fact big enough to dock all the TFs, so it's still anyone's guess when they will actually set sail. Troops are one RCT, one Raider Bn and one Marine Defence Bn while recon has shown only 500 defenders, let's hope that's accurate.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
Smeulders

29-30 August 42'

Post by Smeulders »

29-30 August 42'

Burma
No more air attacks targeting Indian bases over the past few days, but there was a tactical strike by Nicks and Sallies on the column advancing on Mytkyina. These did little damage beyond slowing down my forces a bit. Mytkyina is being abandoned, but in other locations the Japanese are advancing slightly. A large infantry formation (33rd Div?) is moving towards Shwebo and another large unit, probably 38th division has moved just out of Lashio to cover the road into China. SigInt has confirmed that the 55th Division is still split up, so the main units I have to keep track of are the above 2 divisions, 3 infantry regiments and a couple of cavalry/tank regiments. 5th Division is also nearby, but might still be covering the South against potential amphibious operations.

Airfields in Kalemyo and Cox's Bazaar have both gone up a level, meaning I'm gaining the capability to put a lot of air units quite close to the front if I want to. Unfortunately, Imphal has a temporary shortage of aviation support due to a lot of the units going South, so for the next half a week I'm down one of my main bomber bases.

North Oz
A construction regiment has arrived at Fenton and the base has gone to level 1. It will be interesting to see the reaction to this, will Joseph try to close this base down as well (and risk LRCAP from Katherine?) or will he let me build which would give me a chance to open up Darwin again ? It will only take some 10 days before level 2 is reached if there aren't any attacks.

Baker Invasion
Lots of naval support and amphibious ships allowed the troop ships to load quickly and on the 31st the armada will set off. Supply is running low on Pago Pago as the invasion fleet takes huge amounts of supply with it. D-Day for the landings is the 4th of September.
Smeulders

August Overview

Post by Smeulders »

August Overview

While the ground forces have not yet made contact with the Japanese it seems like next month is going to be more interesting with the first battles coming up in Burma and the first Allied amphibious attack planned. The main attractions this month were some air battles over India where the IJAAF is going on the offensive.

Theatre by Theatre

Burma

Northern Burma is being easily secured, the Japanese seem to be throwing up a line in the plains and near Lashio. Surprisingly, the IJAAF is going on the attack, trying to sweep and shut down airfields. This is quite surprising, as he would probably need a good part of his Burmese air units to shut down even a single base, while I have several back up bases ready. Overall, results in the air seem to favour the Allied air forces.

China
Some minor attacks encroach on the mountain position in the Sian-Lanchow area, but it seems unlikely this will be the site of a further offensive. Japanese units are trying to infiltrate all along the front in the South. Air attacks are mainly focused on the Changsha area, but whether the goal is to burn supply or preparation for an attack is unclear.

SWPac
Minor skirmishes with limited raids on Luganville

Northern Oz
The Darwin blitz continues unabated, and it may or may not have already passed the 100 day mark. With Fenton being built up I might get into a position to really contest these raids, but I'm starting to wonder whether I should spoil his little game. I'm not planning on using Darwin just yet anyway so if he wants to throw away supplies and planes for little gain, who am I to stop him ? "Never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake" as said by wiser man then me.

SPac
Little so far, but the Baker Island invasion force is on it's way.
Smeulders

RE: August Overview

Post by Smeulders »

Naval Losses

Japan                          Allies
DD                                 0                               1
AM                                0                               1
AO                                 1                               0
xAK(L)                            5                               2

Little happening, all sinking were due to subs, except for the Allied xAKL, which were torpedoed by Betties off Cooktown.
Smeulders

RE: August Overview

Post by Smeulders »

Air Losses

Japan                       Allies
Air                        47                           34
Flak                        8                            0
Ground                    0                            2
Ops                     106                           61
Total                   161                           97

The Allies have overtaken the Japanese in air kills and the huge Japanese ops losses mean there is a large difference in total losses. Losses this month were mainly due to air battles in Burma.

Next month gives the P-40K, a huge step forward for the USAAF in numbers and also quality. I also welcome a few more recon planes in the form of the F-4 Lightning
Smeulders

31 August - 2 September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

31 August - 2 September 42'

Burma

Japanese forces have abandoned Mytkyina and Allied forces should arrive in the city on the 3th. About 1 1/2 Division will be moving South to see take at least Bhamo and pin some Japanese that are in front of Lashio. Chinese forces are camping out in the mountains just outside of Burma, they have not yet been bought out, but they might make Joseph nervous.

Akyab remains the target of some occasional bomber raids and the Chinese are under attack as well.

Baker Invasion
They made good progress, but on the 2nd the whole armada got broken up and was split over 3 hexes. All troop convoys had for some reason stopped following the surface cover and were proceeding independently. During all this one convoy got spotted and now orders are for all ships to race to Baker and unload as soon as possible. This will happen on the 3th, though the USAAF BF will stand off one hex and land after the battle has finished.

A zoomed out map, showing how the Western flank of the invasion is covered. I wouldn't be able to fight off a strong counter-attack, but I should be able to see it coming and get out of the way in time.

And a map showing how the invasion fleet got split up. Resistance still seems light, but the army regiment is getting landed to be absolutely sure of a quick conquest. Minesweepers are moving in as well.
Smeulders

3rd of September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

3rd of September 42'

Baker Island

The invasion was successful and can even be classified as overkill. In the end there was no reason to land the army regiment. The defenders were a single SNLF company, which were already decimated by the cruisers and destroyers in the amphibious groups. Once the shock attack began, the Japanese couldn't muster more than 2AV against 195 from a regiment, raider battalion and defence battalion. The island easily fell.

Next turn the base force will be landed and the infantry regiment re-embarked. In 3, and preferably 2 days I don't want any more targets near the Island.

Burma
In the meantime the Japanese keep their air force busy striking undefended targets, Akyab is getting quite beat up due to a lack of engineers.

On the ground things are still rather quiet. Viper force takes Warazup just North of Mytkyina and that base is also reached by a division and a brigade. No defenders means the base will be mine tomorrow.

Forces are still amassing just in front of the plains, in 3 days the RAF Base forces will arrive and the move towards Shwebo started. Right now defences in the city seem to be about a division. In the spearhead I have the Burmese division, 2 Chinese divisions an Indian and a British brigade, but another British division, 1 British bde and 2 Australian brigades will be right behind.

In other news an Indian brigade has left Akyab and is moving straight through the jungle to possibly threaten the Japanese rear and an extra Indian division (19th) has just finished fitting out and will move to Burma as well.
Smeulders

4-6 September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

4-7 September 42'

Burma
More ground action on this front, Mytkyina is taken. It doesn't seem like Bhamo to the South will be defended. On the plains the march towards Shwebo is started, about 30,000 Japanese (2 Div+Supporting troops?) are now sighted in the town, but there are indications of a retreat across the river.

More air strikes against various targets, but nothing really important. Katha will reach level 1 today or tomorrow, I'm interested in the response to that.

Baker invasion
The garrison is complete and the infantry regiment has re-embarked, all ships have left the area. The invasion was a complete success, with negligible ground losses and no ships even damaged. Pity that my opponent won't care too much either. As a little bonus nearby Howland Island is auto-captured.

Darwin
Zeroes stop sweeping in support of the daily milk runs, while Fenton is building to level 2. Almost time to give a little sting.
Smeulders

8-9 September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

8-9 September 42'

After a nice weekend with lots of turn as slower week again, but some interesting things happening on the ground in Burma.

Burma
Time for a rather crowded little map

On the coast a infantry brigade is moving through the jungle in a flanking manoeuvre, while the 7th Armoured brigade will be moving down the coastal trail. A Tank regiment is somewhere on the trail, but it's not that frightening. Together these two should scare the Japanese a little.

The main assault is in the plains, 8 units crowd Shwebo, but together they can't put together more than 30000 men, a large force is advancing to take the town (2200 AV). This could be an early decisive battle in the campaign, if the plains fall, the position near Lashio becomes very dangerous for the Japanese troops left there. Some troops appear to be leaving the town, but these might be engineers and other miscellaneous units, so I'll assume I'll have to fight to take the base. The main problem is the low quality of my troops, about 600 AV are in Burmese and Chinese squads.

In the jungles the situation is rather unclear. A division has advanced into the mountains, but whether these will merely block the Chinese or really try to push them back is uncertain. An offensive would now be rather strange though, with the Commonwealth troops descending from the North. It also seems like the Japanese are holding in Bhamo, only 3 units, but one might be a stronger formation brought up from the South. Air recon should clear this up. There are less than 2 divisional equivalents to clear the road though, so even light resistance might hold me in the jungle. The firepower of my forces is also less than overwhelming, 17th Indian division currently has a very light, air-transportable TOE, this means the only artillery are mountain guns and 3" mortars. I might have to wait for the Japanese to leave because of pressure elsewhere.

Overall the situation still seems good, but SigInt has already spotted an extra division on it's way to Rangoon and there are still quite a few unknowns that might get me into trouble. I have decided to move up extra divisions though. The danger to Ceylon has probably passed by now, which means I'll be taking off 3 divisions, which will be thrown into Burma. These are an Australian division, the elite British brigades off the 70th Division and the nearly rebuilt 20th Indian Division.

In the air raids damage Cox's Bazaar slightly. My coastal airbases aren't doing too well at the moment, but repairs should begin tomorrow at Akyab and I doubt he'll be able to keep both closed when that happens. The time to unleash the RAF (and some USAAF) draws near.

Subs
USS Greenling puts a torpedo in the destroyer Shirayuki. No confirmed kill though.

Smeulders

10th of September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

10th of September 42'

Burma
Bombers returned to Cox's and did some more damage to the field. As it is one of the few within sweep range of Magwe I'll put some CAP up today so it can get repaired a bit.

The division in the mountains turns out to be the 5th, pretty nice as I was sure it was in Burma anyway. They did rout the Chinese but aren't planning on pursuing further.

Bhamo is probably defended by a division and 2 smaller units now, no way I'll break through, so the Indians are standing off one hex. They might retreat to Mytkyina to build forts.

Shwebo is evacuated, one small unit remains. He'd better make a nice line quick in Mandalay. The first units should arrive within a hex tomorrow.

Smeulders

11th of September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

11th of September 42'

Burma
A nice day in the air over Cox's Bazaar, the Hurricanes (3 squadrons) and Hawks (1 squadron) first intercepted a sweep by some 30 oscars, shooting down an estimated 13 for only 1 hawk. The Sally raid following was also intercepted in good numbers, allowing me to shoot down 4 Oscars and about 20 Sallies. Total losses, including ops, are 6 Hurricanes and 2 hawks. Japanese loses are 26 Oscars and 20+ Sallies according to Joseph.

On the ground the main attack closes in on Shwebo, while in the jungle the Japanese are now advancing. Engineers are going to Mytkyina to build forts, but the Indians will stay put between Bhamo and Mytkyina, the jungle alone should be enough protection against anything under 3 Japanese divisions.

China
The situation is getting critical, very few bases still have decent supplies. I did a comparison of the supply production I have now and what I would have with the same bases in the recent patches, I've hardly got 60% of the new standard. Unless I get supplies into China quick they Japanese will just have to walk up to the starving Chinese and roll them out of the way. The low garrison requirements don't exactly help me either.

I'm expecting a new attack somewhere around Changsha or towards Kweiyang. I'd evacuate the Changsha area to shorten my lines so I can generate the mass to hold a 10+ division attack, but that would mean giving up another 50 supplies per day, something which I can hardly afford as long as I can't get supplies in overland.
Smeulders

12th of September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

12th of September 42'

Burma
A large bombardment TF came in and trashed the airfield at Cox's Bazaar. 8 Hurricanes and 2 Hawks got blown up with a lot more damaged. The enemy TF was rather impressive, with 2 BB, 2 CA and a host of destroyers and smaller cruisers. I'm abandoning the field, but some LRCAP is provided so the damaged planes get a chance to repair. The RN might send a TF forward, but the danger of carrier forays into the Bengal Bay can't be underestimated.

China
In my last post I was a bit too pessimistic, it is in fact closer to 75% of supply production that I'm getting, but abandoning the Changsha area would cost me in the vicinity of 100-150 supplies instead of just 50. In the meanwhile a 22 unit stack has appeared just outside Kweilin. The defenders are just 1100 AV strong, so despite level 5 forts they may get blown out of there in no time. I think that my opponent may have close to 10 divisions in the area capable of making attacks, maybe a total of 10000 AV. With a total of only 13000 Chinese AV in the whole area between Kweiyang to Changsha that is worrisome as I have very little possibility to monitor anything but unit counts until he is upon me. As the only +, it might theoretically be possible to ship supplies from Mytkyina to Paoshan once a week, if I can make it work China might just stop starving completely.
CaptBeefheart

RE: 12th of September 42'

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Smeulders--Interesting AAR. It seems like your opponent is one of the least aggressive Japanese players on this board, but perhaps that will pay off for him later.

Edit: Just realized he is doing quite a bit in China, so the interesting question will be whether that pays off.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Smeulders

RE: 12th of September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

Hey Cody, thanks for the heads up, it's always nice to see you're writing for someone.

Lemon/Joseph is indeed very conservative in his attacks. This is the first game for the both of us and we both seem rather cautious players, so it's a strange sort of game. I had expected at least one or two larger attacks after the fall of Java and e-mails made me think he was planning them, but they just never materialized. He even seems to be only lightly defending his periphery, the Gilberts are hardly even occupied, the Marshalls and Solomons have few decent airbases, etc. The problem is that this probably means a very strong defence at a few key points and despite the loss of Hiryu KB is still a very large threat if I want to attack.

China seems to be his theatre of choice and it might well be a good choice, I made an important mistake here not defending the oil areas sufficiently and it is costing me dearly. I'm not going into a rant about my problems in China, I'll save that for another time. Suffice to say that I'm very pessimistic at the moment, the pre-patch start is not very nice for the Chinese. I was hoping that the Burma offensive would open up a supply route into China to alleviate the situation a bit, but for some reason a dot hex in a jungle seemed to be the Japanese stop line instead of Lashio. My own fault that I didn't take Bhamo of course, instead of sending 2000 AV into the plains and 500 to advance through the jungle I should have switched it around and then I might have had supplies flowing into China already.
Smeulders

13-14 September 42'

Post by Smeulders »

13-14 September 42'

Burma
Some more light air attacks from the Japanese, both Kalemyo and Mytkyina get pinprick attacks, but there is little lasting damage. Nicks try to strafe my stack in the plains, but flak is murderous. Over 2 days nearly the whole 15-plane unit was either destroyed or damaged for little return.

The USAAF gets it's first P-40K group in Burma.

The 26th Indian brigade has advanced a hex and is now one hex from the plains (came from Akyab). It has however sighted units to it's North and South.
Blackhorse

RE: 11 August 42'

Post by Blackhorse »

USA Rifle squad 42
There is one reason this day is significant, the pool of the new rifle squads reached 91 today, meaning I can start upgrading regiments and divisions. Devices might not be as sexy as new plane types, but this does mean the squads improve their anti-soft by 30% and anti-tank by 133%. Ignore these upgrades at your own peril.

A belated "Amen!"
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Smeulders

15th of August 42'

Post by Smeulders »

Blackhorse: You are probably the person I should thank for these things. The LCU devices are nice to play with, though I'm glad I have tracker as I couldn't do it otherwise. Now to find a place where I can test out the new and improved Americans.

15th of August 42'

Burma
No new bombings, the airfields are repairing. The field at Cox's might be completely repaired in 2 days, Akyab will take a bit longer as there are fewer engineers there, but only service damage remains. Katha will also go to 2 tomorrow.

The ground forces are still 2 to 3 away from Shwebo. Defences across the river at Mandalay are not clear, there might be one division there, but it might also be some regiments or even Thai. The 17th division will be taken out of the jungle and will be railed to the plains once it reaches Mytkyina. The jungle is stalemated with 3 brigades vs. a division anyway, so I'd rather make my schwerpunkt stronger still. I'll need all the man I can get to break through at Mandalay, but I do have a good chance there.

HMAS Bundaberg sunk
Bundaberg arrived in Darwin, so I tried to get her to Perth, but she was spotted and a CL and 2 DD intercepted her near Broome.

Smeulders

16-17th of August 42'

Post by Smeulders »

16-17th of August 42'

Burma
Blenheims try to recon bomb the enemies in China, but get jumped by leaking CAP from Lashio, surprising, as fighters hadn't been stationed there for a while. 2 Blenheims go down, they confirm that at least part of the 5th Division remains.

Shwebo is evacuated, the Allied spearhead reaches the town on the 17th and will take it on the 18th. Expected is that the 19th would feature strong attempts to close down Shwebo as soon as it has changed hands. I'm not planning on letting that happen, so I ordered large scale strikes to close down Magwe, the only large airbase in Northern Burma. LB-30 Liberators, B-25, Blenheims and Wellingtons will fly airfield attacks, hopefully covered by sweeps from P-40E, P-38E and Hurricanes. Recon sights only some 40 fighters there, but also 45 auxiliaries, not quite sure what those might be. Let's hope we'll do some damage.

China
A first strike on Kweilin is held, but forts drop from 5 to 4 and squad losses are again lopsided, 3 to 61 even though losses were 5400 to 3300 in the Chinese favour. Some 4200 AV is attacking here against only 1100 Chinese AV. The base is likely doomed, but will hold longer than I at first anticipated. There should be another 8 to 9 Japanese divisions in the area capable of making an attack in support.

Subs
A long time since either side has any success with those, but this time the Japanese score. The TK Seirstad is sunk by I-26.
khyberbill

RE: 16-17th of August 42'

Post by khyberbill »

A long time since either side has any success with those, but this time the Japanese score. The TK Seirstad is sunk by I-26.
Your torpedoes will start exploding more often in 1/43.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
Smeulders

RE: 16-17th of August 42'

Post by Smeulders »

Unfortunately it's not the torpedo problem that's keeping me from getting kills with the subs, it's plain not finding the Japanese ships. I'm guessing there is a rather elaborate shallow water route leading from Palembang/Singapore to the Home Islands, but so far I haven't risked my subs there yet. 

Return to “After Action Reports”