FBD/NKPS RRV Question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Baron von Beer

FBD/NKPS RRV Question

Post by Baron von Beer »

Just making sure I got this right. These can repair no more than 4 hexes from a railhead, except the Baltic zone before Dec '41 which is 6. So, is there any disadvantage to transferring out these units repair/construction battalions to other HQs, so long as they retain enough to keep the RRV @ 4, or 6 in the Baltic?

Seems like there's a lot of excess ass, at least in the German units, and what better way to shed it off than hard labor digging ditches at the front? [:)]
siRkid

RE: FBD/NKPS RRV Question

Post by siRkid »

I normally put at least 2 of the construction battalions in each of my corps HQs.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

except for the fact that since newest beta fbd's only repair 2 hexes per turn now.
matt3916

Post by matt3916 »

A potential disadvantage is they can either assist in digging in or repair rail, but not both. And if you want them to repair rail, note this from 14.2.2.1, page 196 in the EBook "For human players only, there is a limit to the distance that the automated rail repair units will operate from the HQ unit that they are attached, which is based on command range (7.6.4). For example, if a construction battalion is assigned to a Corps HQ unit, it can only repair rail line hexes up to 5 hexes from that HQ, but the same construction battalion attached to a High Command HQ unit (e.g. OKH or STAVKA) could operate up to 90 hexes away."
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: jon matthews

A potential disadvantage is they can either assist in digging in or repair rail, but not both. And if you want them to repair rail, note this from 14.2.2.1, page 196 in the EBook "For human players only, there is a limit to the distance that the automated rail repair units will operate from the HQ unit that they are attached, which is based on command range (7.6.4). For example, if a construction battalion is assigned to a Corps HQ unit, it can only repair rail line hexes up to 5 hexes from that HQ, but the same construction battalion attached to a High Command HQ unit (e.g. OKH or STAVKA) could operate up to 90 hexes away."

Having them in shorter-range Corps, though, can be an advantage. The reason is that OKH tends to backfill every spur and siding close to Poland before working on lines nearer to the front. The Corps Repair units, because they can only go 5 hexes, will work on rails near the front.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Good topic. I'm trying to figure out how to make these uncontrollable units useful. Unfortunately, as Qball said, they seem to go for every useless spur when assigned to Army Group HQs. Yet it seems difficult to get them into the Army and Corps HQs from the Army Groups. They also don't appear to even try to repair railroads unless they are within a certain range of repaired lines when they are in Army HQs.

Time for some experimentation.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Place your Army HQ's on rail junctions that are repaired, usually within 2 turns you will see the auto guys start to spread out from there. At least they do so for me. The ones I spot seem to come from OKH, AGS and heck, I even had 2 Italian bn's in AGN area. Only saw that one though. 
Baron von Beer

Post by Baron von Beer »

Controllable or not, my initial thought was having the FBDs lose some weight. Believe keeping RRVs of 7, you can get ~25 construction units, including several of the larger RAD groups (double size of a regular construction battalion). Not an insignificant number to spread around into the other HQs, and that seem to contribute nothing at all if kept. RRV of 6 or 60, they can still only go 4/6 hexes down the line each turn, and spend the same 1 or 3 MPs to fix each of those.

The one downside I noticed, there doesn't appear to be *any* way to transfer units back into an FBD unit. They have no assign option in their unit detail window, and are not selectable when choosing an HQ for a support unit manually. This could have obvious consequences if one pilfered their construction crews, and then attrition took the RRV down.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Nope, I read that around here some time ago from Joel, that you could remove from FBD but not assign to them. I leave them the same as they are at start.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”