AAAAAAAAAAAARGH foiled again.

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

bloomstombs2

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH foiled again.

Post by bloomstombs2 »

I was having such a nice go at the soviets. Took out 145 soviet units and 600,000 men in the first 5 turns. Front lines were completely German, and then....................

And then all my panzers drove up to the river banks of the dnepr. And there across the other side was a carpet of soviet defense.

GG

I guess I just didnt get there fast enough.

THoughts?

bevans

RE: AAAAAAAAAAAARGH foiled again.

Post by bevans »

Happened the same way for me. Soviet defenses up to 140 miles deep (not checkerboard either) behind the Dnepr and around Smolensk/Vitebsk, although admittedly some were skeleton divions. Really hard to punch across the Dnepr due to the combination of overlapping Soviet ZoCs, bad terrain and a major river crossing. It is simply not possible in this game to do what Guderian actually did, at least not on Difficult, where the Soviets seem to be able to toss 30-40 new divisons per week in front of any Pz K. I tried a whole bunch of variants and ended up with 2 Pz Armies and 3 infantry armies punching a hole between Vitebsk and Smolensk then going N, S and straight ahead with the Pz spearheads. Give the AI credit, it recognized the threat, left a one deep continuous line along the Dnepr and Dvina rivers and pulled everything else back to a Velikie Luki-Vyazma-Gomel line. So I ground through their defenses but pocketed next to nothing. And lost valuable good weather time in doing it. In a way it is very frustrating to play the game as the Germans, where the designers have worked hard to ensure that all the mistakes that Germany made (e.g., it is obvious that even garrison troops in Russia need winter gear and PzIIs and short barrell Pz IIIs and IVs are not going to get the job done) stay made, while the Russian defense is very different to what actually happened. Summer '41 should be the fun time to be the Germans but it is just a slog after about turn 4.

Oh well, if you choose difficult, you need to accept that means a challenge.
Zoetermeer

Post by Zoetermeer »

Agreed. Now just wait until you get to summer 42 -- you'll see the same carpets, but this time the units will actually be combat effective.
CarolusRex

Post by CarolusRex »

Its vital to get a bridgehead accross Dnieper at turn 3 latest. Else You will not be successful. If utilizing your panzers and motorized at a maximum for deep penetrations in the first few turns you will be able to get the AI shaking until the mud period creating pocket after pocket and if You want you can take Moscow by early September but its not advisable as You should anchor your flanks ( Kalinin an the Tula area) first to be able to make the blizzards. By end of November you should be able to get to the line Ladoga, Moscow, Rostov (Done Bend) with Leningrad taken. But this will not make you win the war in 41. The Ladoga, Moscow Rostov line was the objective the Germans tried to accomplish when they realized they could not destroy the Soviets in 41. I so far have not been able to get the automatic victory in 41.

CR
Deo favente
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

2nd Panzer is the best bet to get over the Dnepr on turn 3. Just do it.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

You can technically get a Panzer unit or two across on turn 2. Only problem is that there likely won't be enough behind it to ensure it doesn't get cut-off.

You can't give the Soviets a week off, time is on their side
bloomstombs2

Post by bloomstombs2 »

Thank you for the replies everyone. Very helpfull.

bevans

Post by bevans »

One can get a Pz div across the Dnepr by Turn 3 (not quite as fast as Guderian). But it will have a CV of 1 on Turn 4 and will likely be rebuilding in the Fatherland stating Turn 5. In '41, the Russians were not operating a coherent defense for at least a couple of months, so the Germans were able to take some (apparently) huge risks (and of course they didn't actually lose 95% of their combat efficiency if a Russian unit moved across its supply lines). WitE is currently stacked for the defense so running the Axis offensive in '41, one needs to be more conservative than the Germans actually were. As space vs time is everything in'41, that is a critical handicap for the Germans.

Return to “The War Room”