population growth mod.

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

adecoy95

population growth mod.

Post by adecoy95 »

this is a really, really simple mod. it only took me like 2 min to make, but i figured i would share it for those of you who don't know how to do it.

i basically tripled population growth for most races, up to the 50% limit, for example dyhaat have a 18% growth, but many races have a 40% and above.

it may or may not be balanced, but it is what it is. with the new tech trees, its possible for this number to grow really, really fast.
Attachments
races.zip
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
adecoy95

RE: population growth mod.

Post by adecoy95 »

now with 100% more pictures!

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (407.45 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I just started playing DW RofS. How do you think the game will play out with your mod? Thanks.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

worlds you colonize will become useful much faster, instead of just sitting around all game doing nothing but acting like a mining station
jalapen0

Post by jalapen0 »

wouldn't this need to be balanced with a minus to economy? I agree that pop growth should be way higher but it would become unbalanced as the colonies get huge and therefore, economy get's stupid huge. Bascially unlimited money.
Data

Post by Data »

ya, i think you have a point here and the economy should be balanced for this...not sure it can be done in a mod though
aside from this, good start in the modding busines adecoy95....thumbs up
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Besides getting a galaxy full of rabbits...

This is bound to throw the balance of the economies out the window, especially since your luxury resources won't be able to keep pace...such high growth rates could collapse the whole thing as an unintended side effect.

Basically, Elliot needs to make a change with the Game Engine that allows a player to set 1 or more planets as 'migratory' planets and greatly increase the migration to them.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I actually think Population Growth is one of the only things in the game I think is slow enough.  I'm a big fan of slowing the game down and the population growth really suits me how it is.

However, I would like to see the max population all around extended.  To me 14 Billion seems like a really low population for such an advanced society (and thats about where the homeworlds are capped).  Remember Earth has 6 Billion and these guys are several hundred years, possibly even nearing 1000 years in front of us.  I'd think nearing the 100Bil mark would be more the max for a high quality Continental [:D]  Especially considering some of the races are bugs, which breed like crazy compared to people.

A max cap at all is even questionable, I'd rather for example a cap, but pop growth doesn't stop there, but the people get struck by poverty, overcrowding etc and start to emigrate while the happiness levels drop. This would fit in nicely with setting up planets for migration like Shark suggests. Then, population of low pop planets would grow quick, due to the mass of imigrants. But at 14Bil, I can't see such an advanced society mass emigrating to backwater worlds, some of which have more hostile environments than their homeworlds.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

About the emigration thing...
Sure it is nice to live and be buried on the rock you were born, but being a construction man I would JUMP at the chance to start up a whole new planet, which is a different picture for artists or journalists, or anybody relying on evolved culture things to make their living and hence reluctant to go to a backwater.
And there are limits to a planets population that technology alone doesnt change.
Think biomass or population density.
I think it was Traveller that set me up with the example of a 100 billion people world: Think Hongkong - all over the planet. You would increasingly live like on a starship, with life support secured by technological means and susceptible to technical failure with catastrophic results.
A sufficiently high technology would make the attempt feasible. Yes.
Still I can easily see a great number of people moving without the need for more push than a free one-way ticket.

Well, that´s it for people. For bugs (I think) the story would not change at all, because they are people in masks (sentient ants living in a democracy or even a military dictatorship? - come on, give me a break, it is the mind that makes people, not the sexy feelers and the shining facette-eyes).
This plus the game assumes that - details aside - all factions work in basically the same way.

Talking about a whole different game there...
deep details of planetary organisation to micromanage, yes I would love that but it would not be
DW anymore.
More like MoO3 2.0 (and done right for a change).

But a "set migration target" flag for planets, along with the code to determine its results would be great here I agree.

WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I can see your point throughout the post but this:
Well, that´s it for people. For bugs (I think) the story would not change at all, because they are people in masks (sentient ants living in a democracy or even a military dictatorship? - come on, give me a break, it is the mind that makes people, not the sexy feelers and the shining facette-eyes).
This plus the game assumes that - details aside - all factions work in basically the same way.

I really think you need a better imagination dude, people in masks?  I imagine them, with a Hive Mind government, operating completely different to Humans on all levels!  I imagine their cities delve deep within the planet, rather than up into the skies like the Humans.  They have no social concepts such as love, friendship, or individual ambition, a worker bug is a worker bug, an army bug is an army bug, like ants and bees on Earth.  A captured and tortured Human might talk and give up information, good luck getting the same out of a bug, like in real life when an ant strays too far from its own kind it goes insane and loses its mind, I imagine a Boskara would do the same thing, its life is of no consequence, its a hivemind, the hive is all that matters.  I imagine instead of babies being born individually in hospitals, like with the Humans, they have a Queen, who spawns 1000s of eggs in a hive, and when they go to war unlike the Humans, they don't fear for their lives and hide behind complex strategy and tactics, espionage and technology, they throw themselves by the millions onto the enemy, ingulfing them with numbers without any mercy, not stopping when their enemy is beaten, but only when they are eradicated. 

Have more fun [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

You're starting to scare the little kids, Woodman :}

As a new player, I will dip my toe in without any mods yet. The graphics mods I am saving for a rainy day! thanks
feygan

Post by feygan »

Woodmans has hit the nail with hiveminds there, have to agree. If anyone wants to get an idea take a read of Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth saga, the story villian is what I think makes a perfect hivemind race. It's also the reason why all my DW game diplomacy with bugs is done starship troopers style.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

well, even without this mod, getting steady luxury's is already pretty tough. planets will reach a high level of development with or without luxury's eventually anyways. unless i missed something.

and about the economy. because the worlds are going to cap out, if you use this mod or not, it does not really change anything. except cause the worlds to become developed much faster.

the whole point of this mod is this.... imagine a game where you start out with one world, and you have all the ai start that way to. your mosying around, getting your research techs, doing your thing.
your almost to the end game, you have nearly max torpedoes, colony techs, and a few other things maxed, perhaps construction. you have gotten about 8 independant colonies with high amounts of population, you found two lost colonies. the strongest ai in the game has.... perhaps 2 independent and no lost colonies.
the first colony you ever colonized is still not making any more than 4k income.

you take out 4 homeworlds, your income is no longer even in the same universe with the ai... your 1st colony is making 5k income.

with this mod, you will see your worlds start bearing fruit long before the galaxy meets the steamroll of late game. or at least thats is the hope! plus the ai can "use what its got" in a stronger way, since those colonies start making them money they can compete with much much faster.

its not for everyone, but it is what it is.

im going to make an AAR with it... eventually, but i havent figured out what kinda game its going to be, i was going to make a death ring small galaxy with everyone starting in the same solar system, but i dunno how interesting that would be.
Data

Post by Data »

it could end up quickly, adecoy95
please make use of the clusters, you'll be the first one in the aar section [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

@ woodman

Of course, you are totally right there - and that is the way I would like to see my tyranids.
But then you have such nifty mechanics as spying and war-weariness all applying to them (not to mention all but the Giz being outperformed in bed by apes and bears, in vanilla DW, that is).
So let me be clear on the matter:
DW handles the bugs like people in masks, and so does every other 4x i have encountered.

While we are throwing around books take a look at Piers Anthony´s humanx (80s stuff) for a fascinating look at an integrated bug/human society with very different bugs.
WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

DW handles the bugs like people in masks, and so does every other 4x i have encountered.

I agree totally, not just 4x games but all strategy games pretty much handle all factions/races similarly.  However, my imagination usually does an okay job of making up for it.  I would like to see a game where the races handle differently.  One that springs to mind is Starcraft 2.  Although they don't play that differently, you certainly get a different feel from the three races.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

sword of the stars has some well fleshed out races, if your into that sort of thing, i think there was even novels published
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

Yes, most games handle bugs 'like people in masks.' I agree. In fact, most games, no matter what the window dressing, seem to make most 'factions' (civ, or whatever label you put on them) really quite similiar. Sword of the Stars handles this better. IMHO. ALso, the very best i have ever seen in making different factions really different, even to the point of forcing the user / player to rethink tactics and strategy when switcing to playing a different civ is in the Civ 4 mod, 'Fall from Heaven II,' (the best of the best - and its fan made mod).

One thing I really would like to see in DW is a different way of handling living on a planet where the atmosphere is hostile to a specises: domes - a al Space empires style. Would really make the differeing planet types truly distinctive.

"Banging rocks together... thats the ticket to a better tomorrow."

Return to “Design and Modding”