It is legal, right?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

uncc

RE: It is legal, right? [printing manual at printers]

Post by uncc »

This is something Matrixgames will need to address. I had Staples print my copy of WitP AE manual last year and there were no problems because this situation is explicitly addressed in the license info:

WiTP AE, Ebook PDF file pg 330

THE ENCLOSED SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND THIS MANUAL ARE COPYRIGHTED. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED. THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER MAY PRINT OR HAVE A PRINT/COPY SHOP MAKE A PRINTOUT AND/OR COPY OF THE MANUAL...

However, it seems Matrixgames may have gotten a new lawyer because this is what is in the WitE manual regarding printing:

WiTE, Ebook PDF file pg 378
(3) With regard to archive purposes, you may handle the software product like any other by copyright protected work, and you may not make copies of the printed materials, which are included with the software product, including the packaging...

There is no legalese in the WiTE manual that is similar to what is in the WiTP AE manual. If someone can find it, please point it out. I'm still going to print the manual at home and bring it to Staples for binding. Hopefully that will get me past the legal eagles [&:]....
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
madgamer2

a FINE POINT

Post by madgamer2 »

THE MANUAL IN THE GAME IS "printed material" HOWEVER the pdf is a file and not part of the "printed Material" that comes with the game. A judge would still rule against you I would think. I find it odd that no matrix person has responded to this post. It did not say in the pdf file that it could not be copied but did in the manual. it would appear I broke the law and could be held libel for doing what I did but I did not realize that they had changed there poliocy from WitP to WitE. Ignorance to the law is no excuse but it might get me a shorter sentence

A somewhat worried
Madgamer2.
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
E

RE: a FINE POINT

Post by E »

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Reconvet

Post by Reconvet »

Come on, do you really think anybody could be interested in pursuing somebody who printed a pdf-manual for personal use only, with you very obviously having no commercial interest in doing so?

They obviously don't try to rip off sight handicapped people by selling a product as you want to use, therefore there is no damage done to them and no reason for them to invest time in pursuing you.

I'd have absolutely ZERO bad conscience in printing this pdf. Stop worrying. [:)]

The biggest threat for mankind is ignorance.

stewartbragg

Post by stewartbragg »

Look I've been a cop for 16 years. I have friends at the FBI as well as many Attorney friends. If printing this manual was illegal I could loose my job for conduct unbecoming. The big issue is PERSONAL USE. As long as it is for YOU and YOU alone and you aren't going to sell it you are safe. As previously mentioned, they would give you a printable PDF copy if they didn't expect you to print it.
HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

I don't have this problem. I work at a university and have a networked, duplex capable color printer down the hall. Thirty minutes early in the morning, and the deed is done. [8|]

<I used to be able to say that when I was first married, too, but for other reasons. [;)]>
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”