Axis Players Think Tank

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

abulbulian

RE: Axis Players Think Tank

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: Schmauser

Glad to see this thread because I was thinking about the very same thing over the weekend.

I am in my second "test" GC against the AI on normal. I am on turn 38 which is the first non-blizzard turn and evaluating the status of the Wehrmacht. Although I have no fears that I can beat the AI on normal (probably not turn 52), I can definitely see the challenges for an Axis player against a human opponent. Being short of time I will leave you with the following thoughts for the developers based on a comparison between WITP and WITE. I hope to properly join the discussion when I have more time.

WITP is based on a historical opening (Pearl Harbor) and leaves the rest to the players. There is no preprogrammed destruction of the Japanese fleet at Midway and the results of December 7 are variable. A good opening by a Japanese player has a very small chance of an auto victory in 42 and a reasonable chance for an auto victory in 43. Even if auto victory is not achieved, good opening play by a Japanese player can result in a good fight past 43 with a chance for a marginal victory later in the war. In most cases a competent allied player can avoid the auto victory conditions because of the points system that requires invasions of difficult places like India or the one sided destruction of large numbers of allied ships. In short, there is enough there to reward a player for wanting to play the Japanese and there is enough of a safety net for an allied player to try more aggressive strategies. This makes the game fun.

After turn 1, WITE does not have a historical opening in MP play as the Soviet player knows the limits of the Axis advance and can fall back to prepared lines of defense. These lines of defense will yield in 41, but will cause a higher level of casualties to the Axis player and result in fewer losses to the Soviet. The only limits to that plan are slowing the advance enough to evacuate factory capacity. In addition, there is a preprogrammed destruction of the Axis army in the Winter and the Soviet player has to do absolutely nothing to generate 1,000,000+ Axis casualties. If the Soviet husbanded their forces in 41, they can increase those casualties drammatically as the Axis take disproportionate losses as morale falls and fatigue rises. This makes it nearly impossible for the Axis MP player to win in 41 and makes it highly unlikely for them to win in 42. Failure in 41 and 42 leads to the destruction of the Axis in 43 as the Soviets are then just too strong and numerous. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Things that the developers might want to consider. This isn't a wish list, just some ideas to consider to increase MP playability.

1) Find a way to penalize the Soviet player for evacuating territory too early in 41. No matter what the high command thinks, soldiers don't like giving up their homes and families. This could be reductions to morale or decreases in manpower and manufacturing capacity. Fighting farther forward makes the Axis player earn the casualties inflicted on the Soviets and you could similarly bonus the Soviet for being able to hold ground.

2) Find a way to enhance the Axis player if the Soviets evacuate. This could be increases to rail conversion rates or bonuses to movement. Units move much slower tactically than they do on road marches.

3) Reduce releases of additional units if the Soviet player isn't attempting to hold ground. Why give them those units if the front is stable?

4) Base the 41 winter effects on supply levels (perhaps fortification levels too?). The availability of warm weather clothing in December should be higher if fuel and ammo didn't need to be brought forward for fighting in August. Less time spent fighting also means more time to build shelter.

5) Reward the Axis player with supply, fuel and ammo when they take cities. This would reflect that units could withdraw, but that their logistical base is not as easily evacuated. This would have the effect of moving supply forward without changing the rail conversion process. I have found the lack of this feature perplexing since this is a common feature in WITP and is based on historical fact.

6) Make the Soviets "earn" those winter casualties. Winter attrition is linked to operations.

7) Reduce general Soviet effectiveness in the 41 Winter. The current model treats every Soviet unit as Siberian shock troops. Results against the Finns and show that the Soviets weren't exactly the masters of Winter fighting.

8) Reduce the double whammy of regular attrition compounded by Winter attrition. Guys aren't banging away at each other when they are trying to stay warm.

9) Return the Winter disablements to the Axis at a much higher rate. As it is it will take you 2 years to get those troops back. The problem is that this gives you bodies, but doesn't give you back the gear. Perhaps there should be a return of equipment as well.

10) Add Winter disablements and deaths to the Soviets. Again, the Soviets were not Winter supermen.

11) Allow the Axis player to raise limited manpower from captured sources. Evacuating factories is one thing, but the Soviet Union was a hetergeneous population.

12) Find a way to prevent Axis offensive operations in Blizzard 41 while moderating the overall Winter effects. This would provide the Soviets with freedom of maneuver while still rewarding a competent defense.

13) Reduce Soviet abilty to fortify in 41. The Soviets reacted to being overrun and encircled.

14) Reduce effect of Soviet ZOC's in 41. Units with poor command and control and the intent to retreat large distances will focus less on what is around them.

I personally believe the 41 Winter modeling to be the fundamental issue for MP play. Soviet players will do everything to delay for it and maximise it's effects on the Axis player to break their back in 42. Axis players will lament it because no matter how they husband their forces in 41, they will watch the winter destroy their army and the chances of victory in 42. Although based in history and a legacy of the board game, implementing it as a brutal certainty kills the "what if" that makes MP play the real challenge.

[&o]
+1 great summary. I think you've come to the same conclusions I have. Thanks for organize this a bit better than I have in all my fragmented posts.[:)]
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
randallw

Post by randallw »

ORIGINAL: comsolut

I am just beginning to see some possible insights into the German play. Will need to test them out.

In order of importance:

6) Is there a way to have the Luftwaffe destroy/cause more Russian casualties

I do not know if you are talking about airfield attacks or ground unit attacks.

My perception of the Luftwaffe is that the air crews were high quality ( at least until they were really ground down ), but the size was not especially good ( under four thousand machines ) for the size of the country they were invading. Also the bombers did not have high carrying capacity.
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

1) Find a way to penalize the Soviet player for evacuating territory too early in 41. No matter what the high command thinks, soldiers don't like giving up their homes and families. This could be reductions to morale or decreases in manpower and manufacturing capacity. Fighting farther forward makes the Axis player earn the casualties inflicted on the Soviets and you could similarly bonus the Soviet for being able to hold ground.
4) Base the 41 winter effects on supply levels (perhaps fortification levels too?). The availability of warm weather clothing in December should be higher if fuel and ammo didn't need to be brought forward for fighting in August. Less time spent fighting also means more time to build shelter.

I think the above two points are major keys. Allowing the Russians the 'un-historical' option to withdraw in 41 but not allowing the Germans the 'un-historical' option to stop early and prepare for winter is a major problem. Taken to the extreme, a German player could halt in early september, get his railheads forward, his troops settled nicely in level 4 forts, and yet still get hit with automatic blizzard penalties. I think the German player should have the option to halt early and prepare for the winter. Obviously he will give up any chance at Moscow in 41, and likely the lines will be further west than historical, but the Germans should be able to gain something for this trade-off. I agree with making blizzard attrition relative to supply and forts.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

12) Find a way to prevent Axis offensive operations in Blizzard 41 while moderating the overall Winter effects. This would provide the Soviets with freedom of maneuver while still rewarding a competent defense.

How can any Axis player conduct offensive operations in Blizzard 41? I have played quite a few Blizzard turns against the AI, even games where I decimated his army, and offensive ops is a sure fire failure by the Germans. Your worse than the Romanians during the Blizzard (the starting Romanians that is).
MengJiao

Post by MengJiao »

After turn 1, WITE does not have a historical opening in MP play as the Soviet player knows the limits of the Axis advance and can fall back to prepared lines of defense.

In effect, WitE does have an historical opening: the campaign starting in 1942. I think it would be more fair to start in April 1942 before the Soviet disaster at Second Kharkov.
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

How can any Axis player conduct offensive operations in Blizzard 41? I have played quite a few Blizzard turns against the AI, even games where I decimated his army, and offensive ops is a sure fire failure by the Germans. Your worse than the Romanians during the Blizzard (the starting Romanians that is).

I think he meant if blizzard was to change. But I agree atm there's no way in hell the axis player is doign anything offensive in blizzard unless those units are mnt or Fins.

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Schmauser

Post by Schmauser »

You are correct.

A reduction of the Blizzard effect should not give the Axis renewed offensive capabilities. They were at the end of their leash.
Senno

Post by Senno »

At the peak of the blizzard I took 86,000 casualties on turns on which there were n Soviet attacks along the entire front. I had pulled up in September and shortened lines, etc and was as well prepared as I could contrive to be yet still took massive casualties. This was expected of course due to prior reports in AAR's, etc. I actually felt good when the casualties due to Blizzard reduced to 46,000 for a few turns...

A few 17 CV infantry divisions (approaching Panzer DV CV strength at that time, have come out in Spring as 8-10 CV infantry due to winter replacements, SOLELY. They suffered no attacks by the Soviets during the entire winter as I had a full linebacker defense and these units formed my tactical reserve, dig dug digging most of the fall and winter to prepare for the beastly Blizzard. Did they conduct no training during the entire time period from Sept 41 to May 42? Or would they be even worse off but for the training being done? I'm not sure. This was even before the '42 TOE "upgrade" and whose effects I haven't evaluated yet.

Anyway, it's against the AI, so I still have a Wehrmacht of 3.5 million, against 5.5 million Soviets. With my erstwhile allies, it's approximately even. I will have some grand pockets soon as the AI can't retreat very far without handing me an auto victory via VP's.
Senno
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

At the peak of the blizzard I took 86,000 casualties on turns on which there were n Soviet attacks along the entire front. I had pulled up in September and shortened lines, etc and was as well prepared as I could contrive to be yet still took massive casualties. This was expected of course due to prior reports in AAR's, etc. I actually felt good when the casualties due to Blizzard reduced to 46,000 for a few turns...

Was this against the AI? If so, I don't think it will help in being objective for human vs human play balance. IMO if the sov player is not attacking each and every turn of blizzard with the current release version, they're making a serious noob mistake. A competent sov player will attack you relentlessly (in waves as some sov units will rest) each and every turn of blizzard.

My peak loses in the 2nd turn of blizzard was 240k. About 120k loses from attacks. So wait to you play a non-AI or competent human sov player and you'll see a night and day difference. Don't expect to lose less than about 1 million or more against somebody that has a clue playing sov. Just read the strategy tips in the manual for sov player and it states the same thing. Of course the hope is this changes if the axis units are much better prep'd than historically as far as the outcome of these attacks.

CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Once again I find comments where people are at t10 and making strong comments about balanced very annoying. Or just people that don't want to be objective and look at the data that is already coming in from other HUMAN vs HUMAN PBEM games.

Please re-read the initial thread post by BigAnorak, before you dilute this post any more.

I have a human vs human game at T41 against a player of equal skill. I've already posted this in another thread, but will repeat some of the important data.

Some highlights lowlights:

- able to widely encircle Leningrad as my mobile units kept probing east for least possible resistance and met up with Fins by end of Aug. Don't think Bill was thinking I'd encircle so far east. I let most of them starve, but finally took Leningrad proper by Nov snow to release the Fins(hounds). Fins are beast in blizzard and have been hold my North front as far south as they can. Had to use 16th, 18th and PZ Grp 1, 3, and part of 2 in this operation.

- pulled armor from 2 and a half pz grps out of encirclement of Leningrad and made a mad dash to try and get a Smolensk pocket. With the help of Pz Grp 4 and 1 from south I was able to create a large Smolensk pocket of some 600k men. Was lucky and able to hold. Much to Bill's disappointment, many of his units surrendering and thus was able to keep loses light with only minimal attacks near last turns of pocket and prep'ing for mud.

- southern push stalled... left 11th army and Roms to fate and no push to get into Crimea. Got adjacent to Dnep. Before winter. Bill had units well dug in on approaches to Crimean. No way I was getting through any of that with the forces at hand,

- made attempt at a Kharkov pocket and was somewhat successful. Mud really hurt me, but in snow was able to complete pocket and take Kharkov. Only to lose in in few few turns of blizzard.

- loses by before Dec 41 Bliz started Axis: 500k and 2.3k tanks. Sov: 4 mil and 15k tanks

- I tried to prepare lines for winter in most places with some fortified zones (start on t16) and had some fort 3's thinking they would hold up a few turns blizzard.

- t25, first turn blizzard and the axis nightmare starts. Even with fort positions, rested units, good supply lines, and well supplied units I was pushed back almost everywhere by my opponent. Had 3 strong inf div encircled on 1st turn bliz and watch in horror as their CV went to 1 on next turn bliz and 35k strong surrendered.

- blizzard is very a bit harsher then should be IMO for axis, I really believe attack should be penalized heavy for axis, but def should not be as bad for units that are prep'd. As it stands, a smart human opponent will have no problem shattering any line you put out there.

- Finally to turn 34 and few bliz turns left. Been retreating for past 9 turns in most sectors... Fins holding just fine . Still have many hexes in front of Leningtad, but middle is back to Smolensk, Gommel. South is back to Kiev and Nickolov. So bad in south.

- after t33 loses were: Axis 1.6 mil and 2.8k tanks Sov: 4.6mil and 18k tanks

- blizzard finally over and after 13 turns of blizzard I accumulated another 1.2 million loses and am now at a grand total of 1.7 million starting t41. Soviet men up to 6 million already and 14k air force.

** not sure what sort of shape my army will be in to start spring 42. I have about 1mil disabled listed so hoping even at the 1% return, my lines fill up a bit. I know 42 will be limited offensive time and I'll have to reduce TOE in the non-active sector.

The pockets I was able to get around Leningrad and Smolensk, were something of a bit of luck. Both my opponent, bwheatley, and I agree that this sort of mass pocketing will be hard to come by for a non-novice sov opponent. So whatever advantage I had in 41 with my low loses and taking of Leningrad were mostly negate by the blizzard effects. I was able to keep most of my mobile forces strong by displacing them to city and urban hexes prior to the blizzard. Just for people that are curious, besides the luck in taking Leningrad in the North, my spring 42 start line is no where near historically. I'm not saying it should be, but it will be a factor as the game continues and my 42 offensives need to make some serious ground which I don't see in the cards.

The massive loses of 1.2 million men in the 13 blizzard turns has also now created a situation where my once very exp INF units are now starting to lose exp rapidly as they take back some replacements. My moral was destroyed in the blizzard turns as well. My thought is that as I approach the May month (every other turn mud) and are able to try and launch some limited attacks, my Inf units won't have much of an exp/moral advantage in 42. My mobile units are still my only prayer for something of a decent 42 in limited objectives.

Thanks for the info, this is what this post should be IMO.
Senno

Post by Senno »

Was this against the AI? ...
ORIGINAL: Senno

Anyway, it's against the AI, so I still have a Wehrmacht of 3.5 million, against 5.5 million Soviets. With my erstwhile allies, it's approximately even. I will have some grand pockets soon as the AI can't retreat very far without handing me an auto victory via VP's.

OK, I shall be subjective then... Wahh Wahh this baby is "hollow" I know this from my awesome 12 turns as Marshall Mathers running things from the.... *Disclaimer: Any resemblance to current posters is absolutely positively unintentional. [/size]

And I did end up at over 1.1 million casualties, starting the winter at 100k. I went from 100k losses to 5.3 million Soviet dead, to 1.1 million losses to 5.5 million for the Soviets at Spring 42. I lost over 1 million men to Blizzard and winter effects being massively prepared, while the Soviets suffered very lightly if at all, as they did have light losses in their attacks. Adding an aggressive player on PBEM would have been a nightmare, and I certainly didn't claim anything to the contrary.

Senno
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: Schmart

I think the above two points are major keys. Allowing the Russians the 'un-historical' option to withdraw in 41 but not allowing the Germans the 'un-historical' option to stop early and prepare for winter is a major problem. Taken to the extreme, a German player could halt in early september, get his railheads forward, his troops settled nicely in level 4 forts, and yet still get hit with automatic blizzard penalties. I think the German player should have the option to halt early and prepare for the winter. Obviously he will give up any chance at Moscow in 41, and likely the lines will be further west than historical, but the Germans should be able to gain something for this trade-off. I agree with making blizzard attrition relative to supply and forts.

+1 i agree with both your first posts very good points.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

And I did end up at over 1.1 million casualties, starting the winter at 100k. I went from 100k losses to 5.3 million Soviet dead, to 1.1 million losses to 5.5 million for the Soviets at Spring 42. I lost over 1 million men to Blizzard and winter effects being massively prepared, while the Soviets suffered very lightly if at all, as they did have light losses in their attacks. Adding an aggressive player on PBEM would have been a nightmare, and I certainly didn't claim anything to the contrary.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that makes sense. I did play against a good opponent and it was very disturbing beyond what I had expected in blizzard (I did already expect bad things). I think that there already is in place a decent limited factor to how much the sov player can accomplish in blizzard as bwheatley was telling me that many of his units were becoming more and more unready later in blizzard from attacking. Although he was able to keep up very good pressure for about the first 11 turns blizzard. Then he backed off a bit to begin preparing his lines for spring mud.

Senno

Post by Senno »

I did play against a good opponent and it was very disturbing beyond what I had expected in blizzard (I did already expect bad things). ...

Same, I expected bad things. Just not quite this bad. I didn't expect to go from 50 to 1 casualty lead to 5 to 1 based on Blizzard mechanics. Which is why I thought it's worth mentioning in a primarily PBEM thread, as it establishes a baseline of sorts as to what to possibly expect to happen with or without human player intervention on the Soviet side of the ball.

Anyway, I still have the lead, and after 3 turns of deliberate attacks in select sectors the Panzers are springing forth. Panzers Ho!
Senno
Grouchy

Post by Grouchy »

Endured several AI and one PBEM blizzard as axis. The axis player has to endure those blizzard penalties.....even if he starts to dig in and prepare for winter in august 1941.

To make things worse the lansers that you loose during the blizzard and go back to the pool are trained and experienced combat veterans. However if i look at the spring/summer 1942 TOE's of my division i have the feeling that those same lansers t.r.i.c.k.l.e. back in as replacements as 'green' troops that somehow forgot their months of training and combat experience.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I don't think enough evidence is in, and I hope the testers and players think carefully before making changes. A few things must be considered as well as how far the Germans are getting:

1. How far will the Soviets get in 43-44? Maybe it's not the Soviets are too strong, but DEFENSE is too strong. I really don't know, just saying.
2. It could also be that results get worse with strong Soviet play. Alot of AARs, the Soviet is running alot, and not counterattacking at all.

Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Bob and I are testing another 43 campaign right now, Q-ball. My very preliminary conclusion is that the Soviets can manage historical advance rates. If anything, we are more concerned right now with the loss rates involved on the Axis side. We're gathering data on casualties and whatnot. (Including the perennial disabled issue.)

WitE Alpha Tester
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

Endured several AI and one PBEM blizzard as axis. The axis player has to endure those blizzard penalties.....even if he starts to dig in and prepare for winter in august 1941.

To make things worse the lansers that you loose during the blizzard and go back to the pool are trained and experienced combat veterans. However if i look at the spring/summer 1942 TOE's of my division i have the feeling that those same lansers t.r.i.c.k.l.e. back in as replacements as 'green' troops that somehow forgot their months of training and combat experience.

yeah, I explained this issue to Joel. We'll see what he says. It would be a seriously flaw if these return troops did not retain their exp level. I would more pessimistic about the could retaining this information rather then just some #s. But I really hope I'm wrong even though my div experience seems to be dipping a lot when it should not be in getting these boys back into the line.

squatter

Post by squatter »

Seems to me that most critical objective for Axis in 1941 is Lenningrad. No other single objective has such a transformative effect for Axis situation, especially for the coming winter.
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: squatter

Seems to me that most critical objective for Axis in 1941 is Lenningrad. No other single objective has such a transformative effect for Axis situation, especially for the coming winter.

I was able to take it with some luck before winter 41, however, at the expense of any decent push in the south. It's helped to have the Fins in the line, but the blizzard turns still devastated my units. I don't think it's possible, but of the axis player can take and hold Moscow through winter 41.. that would be more beneficial a prize. But I could be wrong. Also, the south has a lot of production and resources that could be taken and also denied to Soviets.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”