The weather thing

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

randallw

RE: MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Post by randallw »

Do you think the blizzard penalties for the Axis are reasonably close to history, or does it need another adjustment, based on the Axis players unhappiness?
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

NOT BAD AT ALL. I have one question> Howdid you get your units in to the Sevastopol peninsula and how die you withdraw them befor winter? well two questions. How are the units left after blizzard and during get supply?

Madgamer2
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I will answer one of the questions and leave the rest for the testers. The first winter rules actually were eased several times during development. IIRC part of what was changed was reducing the impact even more in the later months (first Jan, and then Feb). Although there was always some reduction as the winter goes on, the reduction was increased. IIRC the last changes were made within the last 30 days of development before release.

Thanks Joel, this does go a long way to explaining some things.
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

ORIGINAL: madgamer2

NOT BAD AT ALL. I have one question> Howdid you get your units in to the Sevastopol peninsula and how die you withdraw them befor winter? well two questions. How are the units left after blizzard and during get supply?

Madgamer2
You can get them there, but you usually need to shift a Panzer Corp to make it work good.

Doubt he withdrew, but got thrown back. Blizzard is rough.
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: randallw

Do you think the blizzard penalties for the Axis are reasonably close to history, or does it need another adjustment, based on the Axis players unhappiness?

Well I've discussed this in length in other posts, but I can be brief here. The blizzard should be harsh, but IMO it's much too harsh for units that are in a defensive posture and will the following criteria met:

- well supplied
- well fortified (2-3 fort lvl)
- high moral/exp
- good supply lines
- decent TOE

But as it stands WitE blizzard mechanics don't really take that into account. All units not in city, urban, town (to some extent) are treated equally as harsh. From all my readings (50+ books on this conflict) I've never seen the weather to be the only factor in the why the German army faced such a disaster in Dec-Jan. Just wasn't the reality. Countless stories of German units in Dec that had ceased offensive operations around Oct-Nov and were able to hold the lines and didn't suffer as much because they had supplies, ammo, and prepared positions. On the other hand units that had participated in battles for Typhoon were exhausted, deficient of supplies, fuel, and ammo. They had no opportunity to dig in and use fuel to fires to keep warm.

So I've been lobbying for these factors to be considered in the blizzard mechanics. Treat attacking and moving units with sever penalties, but allow units to mount some realistic defense if that have the ability to do so. My axis army was in a good position to deal with the winter (in reality), but blizzard just destroyed it and I lost 1.2 million men in 13 turns of blizzard.

[:(]

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

ORIGINAL: madgamer2

Madgamer2

I killed so many Russians that the AI did not have enough men to hold the Southern flank. Most of the units down there were brigades. Even the Romains were able to hold the line for a while. I was pushed back one hex at a time. Most units were down to 50%. I set the TOE level for all my units to 80% for Inf, 85% Motorized, 90% Armor, and 100% SS so the replacements would be spread around a little bit more. I'm in Dec of 42 and I've killed a lot more Russians but I still could not take Moscow even when I threw all my PZ armies at it.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I will answer one of the questions and leave the rest for the testers. The first winter rules actually were eased several times during development. IIRC part of what was changed was reducing the impact even more in the later months (first Jan, and then Feb). Although there was always some reduction as the winter goes on, the reduction was increased. IIRC the last changes were made within the last 30 days of development before release.

Were any tests actually done with a proper control? I.e. a small scenario setup around ca. 4th December, with the "historical" TOE/ supply stats?
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Kid

I made it thru the first winter (on normal) by making as many Russian units surrender as I possibly could, not overextending my lines, digging in early and the use of forts behind my lines to slow down breakthroughs. I did not lose any divisions.

It's mostly not the loss of territory that is crippling, but the loss of manpower and, due to the replacement mechanics, the loss of experience.

Even if one rebuilds a unit to 90+ TOE, the efficiency will still be much lower due to the Inf Squads being at around 50 EXP.
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

Most of my units are above 75% experience.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

[font="times new roman"]I think that it is remarkable how well the Germans (in the game) do survive the 1st winter.  I live in a location where there is usually one night each year of -40c/f, and that means all sorts of problems.  Having to work, do physical activity, and even simply drive (in a modern car with excellent oils and the like) becomes a massively difficult and sometimes dangerous thing.  And I have lived here since I was a pre-teen, so I know how to approach it.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Given that the Germans could not get winter supplies to the troops, that ammunition packing and engine blocks thus froze (sometimes for days on end), and exposed flesh could mean a death sentence were the results.  Beyond this, and this is important, was the psychological effect of not only facing the most severe winter most had seen, but also knowing the soldiers were on the end of their ropes thousands of kilometers from home.  THAT also needs to be modded for the first winter in any game.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I do not know how the winter mitigators would go about addressing such things.  Do the Germans take a 25% less supply hit in order to simulate delivery of winter clothes, winter training (just how to relieve oneself can be deadly - and was), and redesigned weapons – is this even enough?  How does digging in lessen the lack of clothing, functioning weapons, and basic cold?  In a trench or blockhouse without winter gear, -40 is still -40, and that does not even approach the psychology.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I feel some of the problem is just what the Germans faced – so tantalizingly close, so deep in the campaign, and it all seems to come crashing down.  Your units fall apart, rout (though there are some heroic stands as well), and your front gets pushed back 10 hexes if you are not ready for it.  The only place where things don’t go wrong is (if you are incredibly lucky to have them against a human) where the Finns are, or further south where the mountain troops stand there looking like winter gods – even the Romanian mountain troops shine.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am NOT criticizing those debating here, nor attacking anyone – it simply seems to me that the game does not go overboard in 1st winter effects, and for the life of me I cannot see how to properly simulate a greater awareness, readiness, and training for the Germans without crippling the entire initial advance.  Just my two cents as well, mostly caused by waking up and having to go to work outside last week in (mere) -10f weather.[/font]
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

I made it thru the first winter (on normal) by making as many Russian units surrender as I possibly could, not overextending my lines, digging in early and the use of forts behind my lines to slow down breakthroughs. I did not lose any divisions.

Not to be rude, but I don't consider any games against a sov AI to reflect what I'm trying to get across. You need to play a decent human sov player to expose the play balancing issues. One can complete throw out trying to leverage any play balancing issues in game when one side or another is AI. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

[font="times new roman"]I think that it is remarkable how well the Germans (in the game) do survive the 1st winter.  I live in a location where there is usually one night each year of -40c/f, and that means all sorts of problems.  Having to work, do physical activity, and even simply drive (in a modern car with excellent oils and the like) becomes a massively difficult and sometimes dangerous thing.  And I have lived here since I was a pre-teen, so I know how to approach it.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Given that the Germans could not get winter supplies to the troops, that ammunition packing and engine blocks thus froze (sometimes for days on end), and exposed flesh could mean a death sentence were the results.  Beyond this, and this is important, was the psychological effect of not only facing the most severe winter most had seen, but also knowing the soldiers were on the end of their ropes thousands of kilometers from home.  THAT also needs to be modded for the first winter in any game.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I do not know how the winter mitigators would go about addressing such things.  Do the Germans take a 25% less supply hit in order to simulate delivery of winter clothes, winter training (just how to relieve oneself can be deadly - and was), and redesigned weapons – is this even enough?  How does digging in lessen the lack of clothing, functioning weapons, and basic cold?  In a trench or blockhouse without winter gear, -40 is still -40, and that does not even approach the psychology.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I feel some of the problem is just what the Germans faced – so tantalizingly close, so deep in the campaign, and it all seems to come crashing down.  Your units fall apart, rout (though there are some heroic stands as well), and your front gets pushed back 10 hexes if you are not ready for it.  The only place where things don’t go wrong is (if you are incredibly lucky to have them against a human) where the Finns are, or further south where the mountain troops stand there looking like winter gods – even the Romanian mountain troops shine.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am NOT criticizing those debating here, nor attacking anyone – it simply seems to me that the game does not go overboard in 1st winter effects, and for the life of me I cannot see how to properly simulate a greater awareness, readiness, and training for the Germans without crippling the entire initial advance.  Just my two cents as well, mostly caused by waking up and having to go to work outside last week in (mere) -10f weather.[/font]

I think you need to read more about what is or is not possible. Once you acquire that knowledge about how units that were able to prepare for the winter and do well in it, you'll understand my point. getting a little tired of people explain same or history about how they suffered. Maybe if you did a bit deeper and read on the subject, you;ll understand all the factors why the Germans suffered in winter 41-42.

MY POINT is that if the Germans had they not exhausted their supplies, units, ammo in the last few operations to push for Moscow and prepare for the winter they would have been in much better shape to handle the sov Dec counter attack.

One thing people continue to fail to realize is that the decisions not to send winter clothes and winterizing equipment was Hitler's directive for supplies/ammo/fuel to take priority to push in Nov/Dec. I WANT A PLAYER to choose whether he wants to push or hold the line. Is it that hard to understand? If you give the sov player the ability to retreat units and reap the rewards of that latter, YOU MUST allow the axis player similar strategic choices that impact the game balancing so much... IMO

PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian
MY POINT is that if the Germans had they not exhausted their supplies, units, ammo in the last few operations to push for Moscow and prepare for the winter they would have been in much better shape to handle the sov Dec counter attack.

One thing people continue to fail to realize is that the decisions not to send winter clothes and winterizing equipment was Hitler's directive for supplies/ammo/fuel to take priority to push in Nov/Dec. I WANT A PLAYER to choose whether he wants to push or hold the line. Is it that hard to understand? If you give the sov player the ability to retreat units and reap the rewards of that latter, YOU MUST allow the axis player similar strategic choices that impact the game balancing so much... IMO

And you fail to understand my point, no offense intended again. The germans could have stopped the November offensives and sent winter clothing, I understand that - but that would still mean fewer supplies to the front. This not only obviates any offensive, it also (in my opinion) affects the overall status of the units. The entire supply operation was a shoestring affair, as you know.

That supply of winter clothing does nothing to lessen the effect of the winter on the German equipment. Nobody expected fuel to gell, packing grease to freeze solid, oil sumps to harden into immobility. Not only that, how does the training come into effect, over and over one reads of weather related problems from simple daily activities that men weren't prepared for? Also, does such supplies mitigate the psychological effects of the weather, eliminate it, or do nothing for it?

I appreciate you seem to think I do not understand any of the history, logistics, or such of the campaign - but you also seem to fail to see that I was not arguing for simple winter coats, gloves, and such at the front. I was arguing that even with there there were no ways to ready for much of the effects of winter that severe unless the entire system knew that it was coming.

I make allowances for internet memes to push focus on language, and assume an attacking tone on my part - however, my points were not simply winter clothing, as you can see if you reread my initial post, but more the rest of the gamut of problems that no amount of winter clothing could have solved.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

I think there should be an option in the game to let the players adjust the effects of the first winter. This would solve a lot of issues. I agree that playing the AI is not like PBEM, but the balance for the AI is just as important as the balance for PBEM.

willgamer

Post by willgamer »

I think there should be an option in the game to let the players adjust the effects of the first winter. This would solve a lot of issues. I agree that playing the AI is not like PBEM, but the balance for the AI is just as important as the balance for PBEM.

For me, that's the heart of the issue. Having (sadly) spent more time reading about the game than playing it, I can see that there are about as many definitions of "historical" as there are players.

In retrospect, hard coding the weather was incompatable with a community as diverse as this.

I hope the devs, both seen and unseen, will consider increasing the flexibility of the game with options for weather as well as the associated play balancing mechanisms.

[:)]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

I'd like to add that two factors in which no one seems to acknowledge was the inadequate German defensive doctrine that was basically a slightly modified World War One concept with little innovation and Soviet complete tactical and strategic surprise. The Germans spent thirty years in developing the classic modern mobile warfare but almost completely neglected their own defensive doctrine which was totally inadequate and incapable of being employed in Russia. The Germans conducted very little defensive training and conducted very few major defensive operations in the thirty years since World War One. It was the defeats during the Soviet counteroffensive combined with Hitler's stand-fast orders that saw the development of the strongpoint defense backed by reserves. The strongpoint defense, which became a German staple for the rest of the war, had no precedent in German doctrine until this winter. I don't think a simple dig in to level 3 with good supplies is enough to stop the counteroffensive cold IMO.

Having said that I think there are some issues that need to be addressed which is the generous German supply situation, massive German disabled losses in the winter, and the near perfect luftwaffe readiness during the blizzard.

Trey

And you fail to understand my point, no offense intended again. The germans could have stopped the November offensives and sent winter clothing, I understand that - but that would still mean fewer supplies to the front. This not only obviates any offensive, it also (in my opinion) affects the overall status of the units. The entire supply operation was a shoestring affair, as you know.

That supply of winter clothing does nothing to lessen the effect of the winter on the German equipment. Nobody expected fuel to gell, packing grease to freeze solid, oil sumps to harden into immobility. Not only that, how does the training come into effect, over and over one reads of weather related problems from simple daily activities that men weren't prepared for? Also, does such supplies mitigate the psychological effects of the weather, eliminate it, or do nothing for it?

I appreciate you seem to think I do not understand any of the history, logistics, or such of the campaign - but you also seem to fail to see that I was not arguing for simple winter coats, gloves, and such at the front. I was arguing that even with there there were no ways to ready for much of the effects of winter that severe unless the entire system knew that it was coming.

I make allowances for internet memes to push focus on language, and assume an attacking tone on my part - however, my points were not simply winter clothing, as you can see if you reread my initial post, but more the rest of the gamut of problems that no amount of winter clothing could have solved.
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: el hefe

I'd like to add that two factors in which no one seems to acknowledge was the inadequate German defensive doctrine that was basically a slightly modified World War One concept with little innovation and Soviet complete tactical and strategic surprise. The Germans spent thirty years in developing the classic modern mobile warfare but almost completely neglected their own defensive doctrine which was totally inadequate and incapable of being employed in Russia. The Germans conducted very little defensive training and conducted very few major defensive operations in the thirty years since World War One. It was the defeats during the Soviet counteroffensive combined with Hitler's stand-fast orders that saw the development of the strongpoint defense backed by reserves. The strongpoint defense, which became a German staple for the rest of the war, had no precedent in German doctrine until this winter. I don't think a simple dig in to level 3 with good supplies is enough to stop the counteroffensive cold IMO.

Having said that I think there are some issues that need to be addressed which is the generous German supply situation, massive German disabled losses in the winter, and the near perfect luftwaffe readiness during the blizzard.

Trey

Are you joking about Germans not being able to excel at defensive operations? Wow, that is the craziest thing I've ever heard. They were masters at defensive and delaying actions. Just look at what the accomplished in NA and Normandy. Oh and yes, on many occasions on the east front (Manstein's backhand blow 43). If it had not been for Hitler continual meddling in affairs to NOT allow structured retreats and the use of mobile forces to maneuver on the defensive to destroy possible sov thrust.. thing would have been different... longer war on the east?

So don't tell me that the Germans didn't excel at defensive operations if allowed to do so. That is the point again, we play this game not to play under the constraints of a mad man like Hitler or Stalin. Well at least I didn't buy the game for that.

randallw

Post by randallw »

I think his statement is that the Germans had not worked on defensive strategy until the 1941-1942 winter.
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Did I say that the German's couldn't excel at defensive operations? Did I say anything about Normandy or March 1943? I thought the discussion was about the winter of 41-42 in which the Germans had serious issues in coming to grips with their outdated defensive doctrine. The Germans became quick learners and it was to their credit that they adapted to the Russian environment and became quite skilled at defensive operations. Since you are so quick to tell everyone that they need to do some reading and since you back none of your points with any references, let me add a concrete reference to add to your enlightenment called "Standing Fast: German Defensive Doctrine on the Russian Front During World War II. Prewar to March 1943" by the US Army's Command and General Staff College.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/resources/csi/wray/wray.asp

I'll even throw in a few passages for free that I think are relevant to the discussion since throwing around any professional prose seems to be less in fashion than throwing around poorly conceived perceptions.

“Particularly misunderstood are the general methods by which the German Army conducted defensive operations against the Soviets. Various Western writers have mistakenly generalized the German defensive system as being a "strongpoint line" backed by powerful mobile reserves or occasionally even a "mobile defense."3 Likewise, the myth persists that "on a tactical level . . .the Germans consistently stopped the Red Army's local offensive[s]."4 The strategic defeat of Hitler's armies in Russia is commonly regarded as having been done in spite of this permanent German tactical ascendancy and accomplished by a Red Army that remained throughout the war "a sluggish instrument that depended on numbers of men and tanks to achieve victories."5 The widespread belief in these myths hampers contemporary analysts in their search for historical lessons and fails to do justice either to the Germans' complex and difficult defensive problems or to the Soviets' tactical skill and adaptability.”

Here's another one.

“The German Elastic Defense doctrine made the following assumptions about modern warfare, and they would be severely tested in the campaign against Russia.
• The burden of any sustained defensive fighting would be borne by infantry divisions, supported only as necessary by panzers held in reserve for counterattack.
• Sufficient quantities of German infantrymen would be available in defensive situations to organize a cohesive defense in depth.
• The principal threat would be posed by the enemy's infantry forces, and therefore, any German defense should be disposed primarily with an eye to defeating a dismounted attack.
• German commanders in defensive operations would be allowed the flexibility to select positions and conduct the defense in an "elastic" fashion as had been the 1918 custom.

None of these assumptions had been disproved in the 1939 or 1940 campaigns. However, within the first two years of the Russian campaign, the German Army conducted major defensive operations under circumstances that invalidated them all.

The fact is that the Germans were largely untrained in major defensive operations IN THE WINTER OF 41-42 and had a poorly conceived defensive doctrine that they couldn't even implement due to vast expanses of Russia and the lack of infantry to conduct said defense. If you have a differing theory that is in contrast to the US Army's own staff study conducted to prepare NATO forces against similiar Soviet attacks, by all means, produce some documentation so we can discuss this.

Trey

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Trey

Are you joking about Germans not being able to excel at defensive operations? Wow, that is the craziest thing I've ever heard. They were masters at defensive and delaying actions. Just look at what the accomplished in NA and Normandy. Oh and yes, on many occasions on the east front (Manstein's backhand blow 43). If it had not been for Hitler continual meddling in affairs to NOT allow structured retreats and the use of mobile forces to maneuver on the defensive to destroy possible sov thrust.. thing would have been different... longer war on the east?

So don't tell me that the Germans didn't excel at defensive operations if allowed to do so. That is the point again, we play this game not to play under the constraints of a mad man like Hitler or Stalin. Well at least I didn't buy the game for that.
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Okay, Now at turn 18 in my PBEM game, starting defensive planning. Will document this winter start strength and also am going to save each save file for each turn and ask that my PBEM partner does the same. Save the save files anyway.

I say we all back away a little until we have more in-game data to work with. This is getting a little combative and will lead to nothing constructive. Love the game, but if further balancing is needed, well playing and documenting is how we make that happen.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”