A Homage to Gary Grigsby and Matrix Games

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

matt.buttsworth

A Homage to Gary Grigsby and Matrix Games

Post by matt.buttsworth »

As a happy owner of WITE, I would like to make a public statement of thanks to Gary Grigsby and his team at 2by3 games and to Matrix Games.
I played War in Russia since it first came out on the Amiga (anyone else remember that) and then on dos computer and later over the internet with a windows computer and dos box. It gave me years of pleasure.
Later I played Pacwar - good but nowhere near as good as Wir - before being reaquainted with the latest version of Gary Grigsby with War in the Pacific and War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition. Both games I have found wonderful, and made good friends with some of my long term opponents. The capacity for surprise, the historical attention to detail and the improvements in the Admiral's Edition made by Matrix and volenteers were wonderful.
Now, after such a long wait, (and I like many others have been watching the developer's log at 2by3 games for years) we have War in the East.
I am up to my first blizzards. The attention to historical detail (similar to WITP and AE) is wonderful, as is the way with the historical and organizational depth, is combined with an intuitive playability, that makes every turn of the game a pleasure to play.
So thank you very much to Gary Grigsby, 2by3games and Matrix. There is no other war games author like GG, and no other wargames distribution and development firm like Matrix Games.

Three cheers.

Dr Matthew Buttsworth
Weimar
Germany
petgod

RE: A Homage to Gary Grigsby and Matrix Games

Post by petgod »

I concur. A big thanks to everyone involved.
After 22 years soldiering it is nice to be an arm chair warrior.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

I would just like to harass the marketing department for officially branding the game "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" because it took up extra manual space, and the manual is already difficult enough to read!  [:'(]
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
wildweasel0585

Post by wildweasel0585 »

three cheers and a [&o]
THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!!
Bentley264

Post by Bentley264 »

I played War in Russia alot back in the day.  I remember it being a great game, as were alot of Gary Grigsby's titles.  I hope he (and his team) get the recognition they deserve!

Bob

Return to “The War Room”