3.4 beta question

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

mamnich24

3.4 beta question

Post by mamnich24 »

Dear Guys,
I'm new to the game. One thing is unclear to me about 3.4 beta - If I install it, are all the scenarios updated, or are they now unbalanced because of the 3.4 beta changes?
Mike
1_Lzard

RE: 3.4 beta question

Post by 1_Lzard »

mamnich,

Actually, non of the 'old' scenarios are updated, but the 'new' scenarios often won't work without the patch....

I'd install, as the patch allows one to use the new features or not on player desire, eh? You might get more details by reading the threads concerning it all, LOL!

[:D]
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

For scenarios designed under 3.2 or older versions I suggest to set "New supply rules" off... 
The TOAW Redux Dude
mamnich24

Post by mamnich24 »

So for clarification...
new scenarios means those in 3.4 and current beta; old means those 3.2 and earlier?
Old scenarios will play fine in 3.4 beta if I just set new supply rules to off?Thanks,
Mike
1_Lzard

Post by 1_Lzard »

Basically, tho one can note in the preface of the scenario which version the designer used (3.4 or 3.2)....

In the end you'll prolly need to run the 3.4 ver a couple of times to shake it out, but there's no reason I can see not to install it. After all, it's the way the game is going to be until the 3.5 ver comes out, and that will be a while, eh?

[8D]
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: 1_Lzard

Basically, tho one can note in the preface of the scenario which version the designer used (3.4 or 3.2)....
Those scenarios designed specifically for use with the new supply features introduced in 3.4, will have that mentioned in the scenario notes.

Elementary my dear L'zard [;)]

But as rule of thumb I'd play everything before 3.4 with "New supply rules" OFF

On the other hand "New turn order" can be turned ON for all scenarios!

Let's recap that feature as described in the 'What's new?'
I. PLAYER-TURN EQUALIZATION (AKA “NEW TURN ORDER RULES”) (Optional):

There is now a choice to use equalized player-turns. The old pre-turn calculation method used to do all the calculations for supply, recovery, and other items at the start of the first player turn. This was a bit unfair (usually to the second player). The new turn order splits that processing into three parts. Air-Combat, Events, and Weather effects still happen at the beginning of the game turn. But everything else now happens at the beginning of each respective player-turn instead. Clouds even move between player-turns – just without weather effects.
Note that equalization will mean that enemy units cut off from communications in the friendly player-turn will be
unsupplied in the immediately following enemy player-turn regardless of side (previously an unfair advantage for side-two). Also, note that movement recovery is done twice for each side (start of each player-turn). This will clear the “Retreated” condition for both sides during their own player-turn (previously an unfair advantage for side-one).
It may even make use of reserve deployments more palatable to players.
Furthermore, neither side is assumed to have 100% visibility into their own territories during the enemy movement phase (previously an unfair advantage for side-two). Rather, detection of enemy moves into friendly territory will
now depend upon the friendly Theater Recon Level or friendly units. Therefore, enemy units will now be better able to slip around either player without notice.
The TOAW Redux Dude
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Reinforcement arrivals can affect scenarios using the new turn order, if the scenario was designed to have player 2 units in place at the beginning of the turn. With the new turn order ON, these units arrive at the beginning of player 2's turn.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Reinforcement arrivals can affect scenarios using the new turn order, if the scenario was designed to have player 2 units in place at the beginning of the turn. With the new turn order ON, these units arrive at the beginning of player 2's turn.
Thanks Steve[:D] that's one detail I overlooked
The TOAW Redux Dude
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

I believe there is an issue with New Supply in Anzio, involving the way beach supply was modeled. But, other than a scenario doing something similar, my rule of thumb would be to use both. I would only hesitate if I had specific info that New Supply or New Turn Order was going to cause a problem with the specific scenario. The benefits are pretty significant.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
I believe there is an issue with New Supply in Anzio, involving the way beach supply was modeled. But, other than a scenario doing something similar, my rule of thumb would be to use both. I would only hesitate if I had specific info that New Supply or New Turn Order was going to cause a problem with the specific scenario. The benefits are pretty significant.
From the top of my head I can mention one exception
I remember that "sPzAbt653" had to add a supply point closer to the Arctic front line in his 3.2 version of Directive21 for it to radiate enough supply under the new supply rules in 3.4.

Before starting a 3.2 scenario it won't harm to compare both supply rules before jumping in.
The TOAW Redux Dude
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Scenarios designed under 3.2 or earlier might be affected differently, and if specific scenario briefings state that a scenario was designed or updated with 3.4 or later versions, that doesn't specifically indicate that the scenario was designed for the new rules. Therefore, I wouldn't play with new supply or turn order unless the scenario description specifies the use of both.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

...had to add a supply point closer to the Arctic front line in his 3.2 version of Directive21 for it to radiate enough supply under the new supply rules in 3.4.

Rick updated D21 for 3.4, I don't remember if any other changes were made to accomodate the new rules.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
...had to add a supply point closer to the Arctic front line in his 3.2 version of Directive21 for it to radiate enough supply under the new supply rules in 3.4.

Rick updated D21 for 3.4, I don't remember if any other changes were made to accomodate the new rules.
OK it was Rick then [;)] I remember talk about the 20th Gebirg being out of supply with NSR turned on, hence the addition of a supply point (reduced value I believe) closer to the front
The TOAW Redux Dude
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

new scenarios means those in 3.4 and current beta; old means those 3.2 and earlier?

Some scenarios were updated for 3.4 (there is a list in the What's New). The ones I've opened have had the 3.4 version specified in the scenario briefing. But as I said earlier, I don't know if that means they updated and playtested for new turn order, new supply rules, both or neither. The only way to know is if the briefings are specific ?

Attachments
edit219.jpg
edit219.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 186 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I remember talk about the 20th Gebirg being out of supply with NSR turned on

Yes, and since I hate supply points, I tried to fiddle a work around by blaming the terrain, but that didn't work. Better to add the reduced supply point. I would guess there are other scenarios that would also be affected.

Why guess, if the briefing isn't specific, don't use them ?
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

Yes, the version that comes with the patch must be played with the old supply rules. With the new rules the Allied beachhead will be without supply.

This is because for the beaches and Anzio harbour i used ferry bridging units that trace supply over a deep water/destroyed bridge hex. This gives the German player the ability to actually interdict supply unloadings (by shelling or air attacks on these units). This doesn't work anmore with the new supply rules.

I have an updated version that can be played with new supply rules on my PC, but testing is not finished yet and it's too late for contribution to the official 3.4 patch anyway.

Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

While there will be exceptions, I still think the vast majority of scenarios will not have any issues.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

The version I am playing vs. Prussian Tom is then new one (beta), no? Must be, he didn't complain about no C-rations and MRE for the boys... BTW, the scenario is ace! Enjoying it a lot and soon Smiling Albert's lads will teach'm a lesson they shall never forget ;)
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

The version I am playing vs. Prussian Tom is then new one (beta), no? Must be, he didn't complain about no C-rations and MRE for the boys... BTW, the scenario is ace! Enjoying it a lot and soon Smiling Albert's lads will teach'm a lesson they shall never forget ;)

Thanks, but i meant the 1 km version.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”