Minor feature request: "All air units to Reserve"

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Davekhps

Minor feature request: "All air units to Reserve"

Post by Davekhps »

Should be a simple request, I hope.

When selecting an airbase, you're presented with the list of air units deployed at the airbase.

Currently, if you wish to move those air units to the National Reserve, you must select each air unit, then select RESERVE.

My play style-- seemingly shared by others-- is to conduct wholesale transfers to the National Reserve. Meaning, I'm not interested in selecting a single air unit to send to the Reserve, but sending all 9 (max) air units in an airbase to the Reserve.

To do that right now, that takes 18 separate clicks (select nine separate air units, then select RESERVE nine times).

On the airbase screen, could we please get a single "Send all assigned air units to RESERVE" option?

If there's another way to easily do this-- the Commander's Screen, perhaps-- please do share.
LiquidSky

RE: Minor feature request: "All air units to Reserve"

Post by LiquidSky »

I thought about this myself, but realistically, I would probably only do it once, in the beginning of the 1941 GC. After that, I would assign them back and leave them on their airbases, and manage them on a turn by turn basis depending on casualties.

Not worth it to save 20 minutes in a game that will be played for many many hours.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I thought about this myself, but realistically, I would probably only do it once, in the beginning of the 1941 GC. After that, I would assign them back and leave them on their airbases, and manage them on a turn by turn basis depending on casualties.

Not worth it to save 20 minutes in a game that will be played for many many hours.

Well, the flip side to the position is that, I'd be more inclined to do this more often if I could do it with one click per airbase versus 18 clicks.

Right now, it's worth it even with all of those clicks for the Soviets after Turn 1, and worth it for the Axis before the first blizzard. But after doing it once in a game, given the time-suck, I won't ever bother with the Reserve again. I don't believe the game designers intended the Reserve to be used only once.

No reason to make it harder than it has to be!
Altaris

Post by Altaris »

Umm.... can't you do this from the CR currently anyway? I did it as the Soviets one game, just pulled up all Air Groups, hit reserve and they went away (well, all but the frozen ones).
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

ORIGINAL: Altaris

Umm.... can't you do this from the CR currently anyway? I did it as the Soviets one game, just pulled up all Air Groups, hit reserve and they went away (well, all but the frozen ones).

As I asked, "If there's another way to easily do this-- the Commander's Screen, perhaps-- please do share."

So, thank you for sharing!
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

You can use the commander's report to do exactly that. Air Group Tab, select an air base, or more, and hit Reserve. (Manual, page 322)
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

If there's another way to easily do this-- the Commander's Screen, perhaps-- please do share.

There is a Reserve button on group tab. You also can set various filters, ex. % ready from 0..20

Attachments
reserve.jpg
reserve.jpg (329.76 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

The CR method is usable, but only barely. You can't easily shift from map to CR view and back again (back button functionality missing) so that you can fine tune your mass reserve postings. You can do everything, sure, but that is too blunt.

What the OP is asking for is a good middle ground interface request, since it will allow the easy reserve posting of all, or all selected, air groups in a single airbase unit. Usually, when you're trying to send them there, you're doing this on an airbase-by-airbase basis anyhow. If you're smart, that is...[;)]
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

I suppose, if you had to, you could use the CR a little more efficiently. You would still have to highlight the hex, to get the hex coordinates, then write them down, or remember them, then click on the CR, then select air groups, then order them in ascending/descending order by hex coordinates, then select the groups you want to send, then click the function, then confirm. Yeah...that is a little more efficient than doing them one group at a time on the airbase...[;)]
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

What about a "Send all Fighters to Reserve" button? Or a "Send all Bombers to Reserve" one?
And a "Send all planes under this HQ to Reserve" button?. The question is if we really want a whole display of buttons to make things that can already be done from the CR screen, in order to satisfy 5% of the players 5% of the times. Come on, what are some clicks when planning and playing one turn that can last hours...? The moment to refresh our minds?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

What about a "Send all Fighters to Reserve" button? Or a "Send all Bombers to Reserve" one?
And a "Send all planes under this HQ to Reserve" button?. The question is if we really want a whole display of buttons to make things that can already be done from the CR screen, in order to satisfy 5% of the players 5% of the times. Come on, what are some clicks when planning and playing one turn that can last hours...? The moment to refresh our minds?

Choose the appropriate filters and send them to reserve.
The CR method is usable, but only barely. You can't easily shift from map to CR view and back again (back button functionality missing) so that you can fine tune your mass reserve postings. You can do everything, sure, but that is too blunt.

You can. There is a "C" hot key.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

By the way, Helpless, I have observed an interesting new word in your screenshot: "Pilots". As I do not see that in my official 1.02 version, should I assume that it is a feature in development?
notenome

Post by notenome »

Indeed, pilots?
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

To toggle between the map and the CR or the CR and the map you can do either:

Map to CR c key
CR to Map click on the location hot link and it will take you directly to the unit in question. Then when your done use the map to CR method to get back.

Easy as pie.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”