Immortal Africanus and other bugs. Version 1.02

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
nalivayko

Immortal Africanus and other bugs. Version 1.02

Post by nalivayko »

Scipio Africanus took Mediolanium by storm, then moved on to Turin. Meanwhile, the siege icon of his army, complete with himself and the army, remained at Mediolanum. Africanus #1 continued to take Turin and Potavium and finished his turn there. He was replaced by another leader next turn. Meanwhile, his double remained at field. He did not try to move anywhere for the reminder of the game, at peace with being a ghost. Of sorts. He did try to intercept smaller armies. He was kicked out to Etruria when another Roman army refused battle in Cis. Gaul.

Meanwhile, I did hunt down Africanus #1 (or Africanus #3?) in Bruttium and killed him. His ghost hardly noticed :)

Other bugs... troops count in the ledger appears to be wrong at times. By turn 20 Romans clearly had more than 12 militia units. Infantry count was just off 1, which I could have written off, but 12 militia in the ledger vs some 32 on the board, that's a bit too much.
Raidhaennor

RE: Immortal Africanus and other bugs. Version 1.02

Post by Raidhaennor »

You know, I think I've experienced the same very strange bug, once. I saved the game, and then pressed next turn to see if it wasn't just a graphic glitch (because, if I remember correctly, I was able to move the roman force away from the siege and back to the field !). It was still there the next turn, but when I loaded my savegame back, the glitch was gone, no more duplicate army.

I was unable to reproduce that bug after that, so I didn't report it ; and since no one else did mention anything like it, I just forgot about it.

Do you have a savegame of that bug, is it still present when you reload the game ?
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

I've experienced in the troop count issue but not the the immortal leader.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I will look into both of these problems immediately.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

nalivayko

1) Are you using the "Verbose" AI?

2) Are you using the "Quick Battle Removals"?

The default on the Controls and Preferences menu is to use the "Verbose" AI and not to use the "Quick Battle Removals." Usually I do not use the verbose option and I do use the quick removals. These should be set according to the player's taste, of course. But there are few differences internally and I am trying to see where things have gone wrong.

This is reference to the problem of duplicate armies, of course. I'll look at the game summary problem a little later.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
nalivayko

Post by nalivayko »

1) Yes to "Verbose" AI
2) No to Quick Battle Removals
3) Don't have a saved game

Thank you for looking into this.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Thank you for looking into this.

You're very welcome, although I'm just doing my job. Thank you for buying our game.

May I ask what hardware and OS are you running?

And would you mind sending to me (via PM) the game's log? It's called "Hannibal Game Log.txt" and it can be found in the game's User Data folder. The path to the folder would usually be C:\Matrix Games\Hannibal Rome and Carthage\User Data. You can compress the log file into a zip archive and attach it in the usual way. Thanks in advance.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Other bugs... troops count in the ledger appears to be wrong at times. By turn 20 Romans clearly had more than 12 militia units. Infantry count was just off 1, which I could have written off, but 12 militia in the ledger vs some 32 on the board, that's a bit too much.

You have keen observational skills. [&o] There is a silly bug in the code that compiles the Game Summary. City militia are not being counted properly. This will be corrected in the next patch. I hope to nail down this annoying "ghost" army business in the next patch, of course, as well.

I'll note that City Militia themselves do not count for victory purposes. I'll look at the total for "regulars" again. I couldn't find any errors in those totals.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

I wouldn't mind having a couple of extra Hannibals in my army. But one Scipio is more than enough, thank you very much. [:D]
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Scipio Africanus took Mediolanium by storm, then moved on to Turin. Meanwhile, the siege icon of his army, complete with himself and the army, remained at Mediolanum. Africanus #1 continued to take Turin and Potavium and finished his turn there. He was replaced by another leader next turn. Meanwhile, his double remained at field. He did not try to move anywhere for the reminder of the game, at peace with being a ghost. Of sorts. He did try to intercept smaller armies. He was kicked out to Etruria when another Roman army refused battle in Cis. Gaul. Meanwhile, I did hunt down Africanus #1 (or Africanus #3?) in Bruttium and killed him. His ghost hardly noticed :)

I cannot duplicate this on my machine. I think that I can see a state which could cause this error. But I don't see how the game could get into that state. Obviously, under certain circumstances it can.

I am beginning to think that this may be a low-level problem and may be specific to the hardware or the OS. Could you (and Raidhaennor) supply details of your hardware and OS version to me? I.e., Vista Home Premium 32-bit on an HP laptop, XP using Boot Camp on a Macbook, etc. Perhaps that will give me a clue. At least I can try to duplicate this on a machine running the same type of OS that you are running.

Thanks. I know that tech support issues are a pain for everyone involved.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Raidhaennor

Post by Raidhaennor »

I'm running the game on Windows 7 64-bits, and it's a computer I built myself (the CPU is an Intel Core i5 750, the GPU is a Radeon HD 4890, and I have 4Go of RAM).

Also in my case, this happened with verbose AI turned off, and quick battle removals on, to answer your earlier questions.
nalivayko

Post by nalivayko »

Sorry for delay in posting this - I've changed a resolution of the game and couldn't get back w/o reinstalling it. Took this opportunity to get some work done :)

My OS: same as Raidhaennor, Win 7, 64-bit. Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz. It's Dell's Studio XPS machine.

My humble opinion: this bug is not a game-breaker, unless you hear more reports of this. If I see it again, I'll make sure to save the game and send you the game's log. As for now, all my data's gone since the reinstall (and a score of other games since that particular one).
nalivayko

Post by nalivayko »

On infantry count and militia count: I think this is just a militia count bug. I was probably mistaken on infantry count. The game seems to count Urban Legions as infantry and not militia, which seems fair. I assumed in the past that as garrison units they would be counted as militia and I was wrong.

It's turn 20, urban legions are the only units Rome has and they are counted as infantry in the ledger.

Return to “Tech Support”