[REL] German symbols + GUI Mod v1.1 (Landser Edition)

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

Zovs

RE: [WIP] WWII German military symbols on counters

Post by Zovs »

I personally don't like the German Symbolism (an old NATO type war gamer), but in your latest screen shot the formation strip is very nice, did you draw that on the counter or how did you achieve that, I thought that the formation colors were hard coded.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

No eye-candy drawing here, the units are cut/pasted from ingame screenies.
As far as unit type, formation color is not hardcoded and mainly relies on alpha channel layer design. I noticed it is not the same for unit size (which is fortunately a cool feature, for multiple colors can be used instead of either formation color or black only).
B455

Post by B455 »

Excellent work. I too am used to use NATO symbology and I think I'll keep with that. However, this raise one idea: currently WitE has only one kind of HQ symbol - the HQ. I would propose the "flag" sort of symbol for higher HQs. It would help to recognize Army Group and especially Army HQs from the numerous Corps HQs out there on the map. Especially when zooming out for grander picture. Just a thought.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Now I do like that idea, I like the normal NATO symbols for everything else, but for HQ's a Corps, Army, Army Group and High Command that would be four different Flags I could go for that. 
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I just looked and it does not appear that there is a way to mod the HQ to use multiple flags, icons or other images. All counters get one type of icon. So you can mod the HQ icon to a flag of one type or another but you can't have multiple icons for various different HQs.

I am at work now and can't investigate the "alpha channel layer design" you mention until I get home and check in Photoshop.
B455

Post by B455 »

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

I just looked and it does not appear that there is a way to mod the HQ to use multiple flags, icons or other images. All counters get one type of icon. So you can mod the HQ icon to a flag of one type or another but you can't have multiple icons for various different HQs.

I am at work now and can't investigate the "alpha channel layer design" you mention until I get home and check in Photoshop.

Well...any news on this? Really, would help a lot to recognize different HQs on the map with a glance.
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

That's precisely the reason why the HQ symbol is left blank on my counter set, since the various flags in the German system replace the NATO cross-bar system...

Here's a screenie to show how the whole thing is rendered ingame (1280x960) :

Attachments
WIP_GGWITE_02.jpg
WIP_GGWITE_02.jpg (369.66 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

v1.0 - unit detail preview (stock NATO symbols for units on map)

Attachments
Ger_Symbol..1_sample.jpg
Ger_Symbol..1_sample.jpg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

Thanks, superb.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks again. I've been enjoying this mod for a week and it's a keeper. Funny, every time I start the game, I sort of do a double-take when I see the enhanced counters.
Muzrub

Post by Muzrub »

I like the counters base (the eagle and star), but not to excited about playing with the flags.

Is it possible to have a counter base Nato version, and a counter base flag?

Cheers
Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

Yep, that's the purpose of v1.0 package available on first page, this thread. This is the step 1.
The counter base is Nato version on map. Only unit detail on the right shows the flags... Of course, you can enjoy the eagle/star background with Nato version.

Step 2 :
I'm currently working on the counter base flag, as well as various GUI variations : train, on ship, Routed, movement points and other combat focused counters. I already reduced stroke thickness, replaced pink stroke with green one, etc...

Step 3 :
And for those true history buffs out there (just like me, I have to admit !!) who like the former German system essentially for educational purpose, I'm thinking about something to complete the various ordnance or Landser/Panzer pics with their tactical symbols. Either keeping the existing pic, or maybe showing the corresponding tactical symbol only. I'll make several tries so as to propose something nice.

captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Nice looking stuff, the only thing I can see that could be 'improved' would be the white numbers on the Finnish counters, hard for my semi old eyes to see [;)]!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Muzrub

Post by Muzrub »

indeed
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about

Matrix Axis of Evil
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

Couldn't agree more, guys. The issue is due to color hardcoding of numbers on counters. I will tweak the Finnish national color so it is more readable.

Muzrub

Post by Muzrub »

Is it possible to change the Hungarian counters- that brownie colour is a little unpleasant and you cant really see their symbol clearly.

Cheers mate, great work.

You better watch out,
There may be dogs about

Matrix Axis of Evil
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Geyerfalck,

This IS a great mod! A very thoughtful and artful implementation of historical information in game form. Good job.

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Thank you Geyerfalck for all your time and effort, these are truly beautiful counters and I'm now a user.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
grofaz

Post by grofaz »

Great job! Question: Where did you find a list of the TGA files? A003-the end. For example A034-German Mot. Div etc. Thanks!
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

Thx mates, for your support. Terrence Booth's book (ISBN 978-1-8746-2285-7) is my fav resource for German symbols. This is definitely a must-have (at least for those who like WWII tactical stuff !).
Now the national colors... I revised my first choice and tried to use more historical colors, relying on uniform colors this time. Generally speaking, I'm not so fond of flashy colors and this path might suit better for a WWII wargame.
You'll notice the reworked slim/green stroke replacing the pink one !

At first, it seems that new colors are very close from each other to be able to differentiate them easily. After some testing on the field, I realize that the mass effect induced by so many units along the frontline solves this issue.

Here's a sample of the v1.1 :

Attachments
NatColors_..1_sample.jpg
NatColors_..1_sample.jpg (207.89 KiB) Viewed 233 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”