How to crack the Crimea?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Singleton Mosby

How to crack the Crimea?

Post by Singleton Mosby »

It is '42 and I bottled up the Crimea from the isthmus. I have not sealed the Crimea from the Kuban area yet however. The Soviet defence seams pretty strong, 50+ and fortifactions are 4 or 5 in strength. How do I crack it?
Klydon

RE: How to crack the Crimea?

Post by Klydon »

50+.. is that the strength of the hex displayed or ??

TBH, I don't think you crack it. You drop a corps and keep going. The only other thing I can think of is show up with a lot of planes and have say 3 stacks of German infantry ready to go. First stack takes two deliberate attacks, rotates out and second stack comes in; rinse and repeat. If you can't crack it with a pile of planes and 3 stacks, then I don't think you are going to get it cracked TBH. Make sure the corps have engineers/pioneers, etc in them.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

I managed to do this with infantry only in my AI game.  What assets do you have on hand and do you micromanage your support units?  These are important details.  If you don't have enough troops and you defiantly don't micromanage your SU's I can't help you much but say good luck.  If you do/can get pioneers and stugs piled in your top line units and bring in as much heavy arty you can in the area they can bull their way thru most any defense regardless of what the numbers say.
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

A full German stack (two if you can) of infantry loaded down with support units (especially pioneers). Very rarely can a Soviet level 5 stack hold off against two German stacks in a deliberate attack.

Trey
ORIGINAL: Singleton Mosby

It is '42 and I bottled up the Crimea from the isthmus. I have not sealed the Crimea from the Kuban area yet however. The Soviet defence seams pretty strong, 50+ and fortifactions are 4 or 5 in strength. How do I crack it?
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
notenome

Post by notenome »

3 good inf divisions with at least one pioneer each, 140% air support, at least 5 art pieces in corps and Army HQ one hex away. Also remember there are a few back doors into the Crimea. If you have one one or two mobile units, you can swing round once you push the stack back and isolate the defenders before they fall back to sevastopol.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”