running Harpoon with windows 7

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
mesquite5

running Harpoon with windows 7

Post by mesquite5 »

I just bought a new laptop running windows 7 64 bit. When I try to run Harpoon 3 Advanced
Warfare it pops up a message saying it needs at least 640x489 resolution. I'm running 1920x1080. Will this program run on Windows 7, 64 bit? I was considering buying the Harpoon ultimate edition, but not if it won't run on this computer.
TeTeT

RE: running Harpoon with windows 7

Post by TeTeT »

I just tried Harpoon 3 ANW: H3CA Version 3.10.0.0 on a Windows 7 with 64 bit and it seems to work fine.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Mesquite5,

It will run on Windows 7 64-bit. Have you tried the configuration tool and the compatibility settings to see if you can get past that resolution mismatch? I'm not sure what would cause that as we have not seen that here. Rusty may have some ideas when he checks in.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mesquite5

Post by mesquite5 »

Ok I got it running. I was trying to run it in a Window, but that was what was screwing things up. Unchecked the window box and it runs, although the resolution sucks. Does Ultimate have more resolution options?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes, you should be able to adjust your resolution in the configuration tool.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
TimOusley

Post by TimOusley »

Your game and all the H3 games run fine in Win7x64, at least on my machine (Alienware, Intel i7 processor). You may find that running in full-screen mode completely doinks your saved color pallette, I don't know if anyone has figured out why. You should be able to run it in windowed mode with no problem and the colors seem unaffected. The window is smallish but quite acceptible if you are using the ANW version straight out of the box (ver. 3.70), but you can't adjust the window size in the configuration program. If you are using H3 Ultimate ANW you can change screen size either in the config tool or manually in the Harpoon3.ini file.
If you are new to the game and aren't aware of this, you can do a lot to improve your gaming experience by becoming intimate with the .ini file and what it does. It's easy to tweak and there's all kinds of info on how to do it both here and in the manuals, and on the other H3 sites around the i-net. Good luck!
Tim O.
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

ORIGINAL: TimOusley

Your game and all the H3 games run fine in Win7x64, at least on my machine (Alienware, Intel i7 processor). You may find that running in full-screen mode completely doinks your saved color pallette, I don't know if anyone has figured out why. You should be able to run it in windowed mode with no problem and the colors seem unaffected. The window is smallish but quite acceptible if you are using the ANW version straight out of the box (ver. 3.70), but you can't adjust the window size in the configuration program. If you are using H3 Ultimate ANW you can change screen size either in the config tool or manually in the Harpoon3.ini file.
If you are new to the game and aren't aware of this, you can do a lot to improve your gaming experience by becoming intimate with the .ini file and what it does. It's easy to tweak and there's all kinds of info on how to do it both here and in the manuals, and on the other H3 sites around the i-net. Good luck!
Tim O.

The full screen, colour palette issues are due to an issue with Windows 7, that causes problems for games that use a 256 colour palette. It apparently effects other games as well as Harpoon and was explained in this thread.
bgutzman

Post by bgutzman »

The editor will not work no matter what compatability mode.... HUCE Editor is broken.... Win 7 64bit ultimate, Intel I7 Core., Dell XPS 16.
It is a shame because I love creating my own games... also what is the fix for getting the windows to display correctly without changing my screen resolution? I saw one guy mention if found a fix but then he didnt say where?

Thanks
Freedom is legislated away one bill at a time.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: bgutzman
The editor will not work no matter what compatability mode.... HUCE Editor is broken.... Win 7 64bit ultimate, Intel I7 Core., Dell XPS 16. Thanks

The HUCE scenario editor is a 16 bit application. It will run in Windows XP Mode with 64 bit Windows 7. I use it to run the editor in Windows 7 Pro without trouble.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

also what is the fix for getting the windows to display correctly without changing my screen resolution? I saw one guy mention if found a fix but then he didnt say where?

Thanks

HC window location/size registry reset for large fonts and other minor disasters:
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... owfile=228
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
bgutzman

Post by bgutzman »

No it will not run on my version of Windows 7 64 bit no matter what mode you set the editor to run in, nor does administrative permissions help.
bgutzman

Post by bgutzman »

No it still wont run and yes Im tech savvy and then some...
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

No it still wont run and yes Im tech savvy and then some...

Brad/CV32 is speaking of Windows XP Mode, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ws-xp-mode . It works quite well, I happen to use a fancier application called VMWare but Brad has professed that XP Mode works better for his needs.

Also see: http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=2449

The HC SE (scenario editor) isn't broken.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I have to say that the editor doesn't start on my Win7 64-bit system either, having tried it in all possible permutations of compatibility mode and administrator rights. It's obviously not "broken", but it won't start for me.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

I think Windows XP Mode is only available in Win 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise editions?
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Oh, so it's not supposed to work in XP SP2 or SP3 mode? Sucks to be me, then.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Very poor user support here...
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Very poor user support here...

How so? We answered your statement even though you didn't ask a question and provided links to background material. The response was prompt. That the SE won't run natively on 64-bit operating systems shouldn't, in my opinion, make the accurate and timely support 'very poor'.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Unzen

Post by Unzen »

Runs fine on my Win7 x64 PC. :)
Rusty 'ol Harpoon player - circa 1989

Return to “Tech Support”