StuG BS discussions

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Ratzki

RE: StuG BS discussions

Post by Ratzki »

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

ORIGINAL: Misty

I have read the book "Sturmgeschütze-Panzer der Infantrie" 2 or 3 years ago. There was a report from StuG commander (late 1943). He said, that the StuG crews used barbed wire with concrete to reinforce the front side of their Stug´s. So a lot of the crews survived.

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/seite1.htm

I have seen that website. If you look through all the photos, there is not one concreted StuG.

Did the StuG commander say exactly why he put concrete and barbed wire (I assume as some primitive 'rebar') on the StuG?
This is what was aid way back on page one of the discussion, and I think that this was the original point of the thread, to show the superiority of the StuG's sloped front armor.
Yoozername, you said this:

"Its my contention that this area, the frontal sponson sloped armor, is backed up by the superstructure armor. Its also my contention that at least some photographic evidence shows the superstructure armor to be greater than 50mm. In any case, this area represents spaced armor. To be succinct, its sloped face hardened armor that is backed up by vertical 50mm or possibly 80mm armor.

In either case, it would represent some of the best protection against soviet 76mm ammunition in 1943 and possibly 1944."

Now Mobius said that the armor would be viewed as 50+30mm and treated different then a straight 80mm plate. I think that we are all good with this as two plates are less effective then one plate of the same thickness. So the thread moves on to a rather entertaining chat of why concrete was added, which might not have went the way that Prince thought it might, but you far from proved that the application was worthless. So I do a little digging one night and come up with the following, which you chose to ignore completely:

"Talking about face hardened armor
"... Use of this kind of armor must be restricted to cases where the damage to the enemy weapon caused by the armor reduces its penetration, which is not the case at high obliquity, where a weapon that stays in one piece is more likely to ricochet completely away with minimal target damage than one whose nose is broken off and thus whose middle body and base can continue to punch through the plate even after the nose has ricochetted off. Also, face-hardened armor fails by having the armor in the projectile's path punch through the plate back where it acts as a second solid-shot-type projectile, increasing target damage; this is made worse by the fact that such a "plug" of armor can be ejected from a brittle face-hardened plate at striking velocities well below those where the projectile itself can penetrate the plate, which severely compromises the protection afforded by the plate."

From "TABLE OF METALLURGICAL PROPERTIES OF NAVAL ARMOR AND CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS"
by NATHAN OKUN (Revised 5/3/98) "

Now we have Misty here saying he read a book that he proves exists by a link. I think that the use of concrete as often as it seems to come up would state that this is not a rare event. You have sang the song of face hardened sloped armor on the StuG being enough to stop any Russian gun firing 76mm shells contrary to the pictures of concreted StuGs that may state otherwise and contrary to what Mobius said about a spalling armor and what I found says the same, that sloped, face hardened armor would allow a shot to eject this "plug" at velocities well below those that would penetrate the armor. This "plug" would then only have to penetrate 50mm of plate or cause another spalling to take place and we have a problem. I think that other then your point that 76mm shells would not penetrate the StuG's front armor, there is still a very good indication that a problem with the StuG's armor existed, and being that the Russians were mostly shooting 76mm shells at it, I think that there is enough evidence that there might be more to this 76mm discussion then a couple of penetration tables and test firings. If I was to make a statement about the StuG's armor vs Russian 76mm guns after looking at the evidnce, it would be this: 50mm is not enough so they designed another 30mm to be added. This improved things but the guys out there were not satified with the performance of 50+30mm and went with a field fix(concrete) that might not have totally fixed the issue with the armor, but did improve the survival frequency of the StuG's crew.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

No one has to look to a German-language source to confirm the widespread use of concrete on the Stug.III:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/sturmgesch ... utz-iv.htm

And I quote:
Very common field practice was the addition of a layer of concrete added over the armor plate above the driver’s position to improve the protection.

Of course, If you'd take the time to educate yourself on these matters, the rest of us wouldn't have to shoulder the burden of enlightening you.

Again, LEWIS, buy yourself some books and stop cluttering up the forum with your nonsense.

You are amazing. That website you quote does not have a picture of a German concreted StuG. You post another concreted StuG from another source instead? Why not name the source and date the picture?

So, maybe you need to stop grasping at straws and listen to myself and others...stop being a troll. Or, if you can, prove that the Concrete was as widespread and slathered as you say. Prove it was worthwhile. You just can't do that so you keep trolling instead.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Lets use video now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4yBvt8YcvM

StuGs in video are late in 1945, Seelow Heights battle. No concrete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DFj7pgO ... re=related

Very detailed late43-early44 battle footage. No concrete.

Now, again we are back to the puzzle that Prince has presented himself. He has claimed that concrete was the StuGs secret to success. Unfortunately, he can not explain the glaring lack of it in most war periods. If anything, tracks are more prevalent.

Exceptions are not the rule. PRINCE also needs to state the source and dates of those pictures.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

StuG 12/44 no concrete

Attachments
bombed.jpg
bombed.jpg (1015.29 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

StuGIIIG no concrete

Attachments
rust.jpg
rust.jpg (252.06 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

ETO 44 no concrete

Attachments
eto44.jpg
eto44.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

ORIGINAL: Misty

I have read the book "Sturmgeschütze-Panzer der Infantrie" 2 or 3 years ago. There was a report from StuG commander (late 1943). He said, that the StuG crews used barbed wire with concrete to reinforce the front side of their Stug´s. So a lot of the crews survived.

Is that book at the web address you provided? Which book is it?
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

This website is good since it has specific photos for specific units.  As an example, this shows StuGIIIG winter 43/44 with no concrete some tracks (see other photos at wwebsite for this unit Sturmgeschütz Brigade 281).  Its better than a book that might have many pictures from the same unit.  I own '7000 Km in a Stug...' and the pictures are all from the same units the author served in (again no concrete).  So I am enjoying this website.

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/konvwilli.htm

cast mantlet, shuerzen
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Obviously snow was better than concrete...
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

If you had to set a value for 6"-10" of concrete how would you rate it? Or just something like sandbags?
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I would give the crew a +1 in the 'warm&fuzzy-feeling' rating
Misty99

Post by Misty99 »

Is that book at the web address you provided? Which book is it?

No. It´s only a German website about StuG´s.

Here is the book´s website:

http://vdmedien.com/flechsig-verlag-stu ... anguage=en
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Oh. Ok.  You had Ratzki confused I think.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I was looking at PRINCE's last cement-head vehicle. What is that odd 'fur-collar' shape around the mantlet area?

Attachments
photofake.jpg
photofake.jpg (7.35 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

To summarize, let's take a look at the pictorial record of the type as it evolved over the course of the war and how concrete was used to enhance its survivability. I've already documented the application of concrete to the these vehicles with line-drawings further up the thread. Early on, it was simply added to the capacious recesses in the frontal armor to either side of the main gun. As time went on, this application was increased and built-up into a convex shape. The shape is relevant because it conferred considerable depth to the application, particularly through the horizontal plane.

First, a short-barreled model, the III.D:

Attachments
StugIIID.jpg
StugIIID.jpg (285.39 KiB) Viewed 74 times
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Prince of Eckmühl

Devastating losses to the German assault guns in 1941-42 led to the widespread use of the material in all models, including up-gunned models like the F/F8/G:

Attachments
IIIFConcrete.jpg
IIIFConcrete.jpg (282.66 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Widespread?  Is that the same as 'Slathered'? 
Prince of Eckmühl

The ultimate expression of the technique can be found in heavy applications like that illustrated in the photograph below:

Attachments
StugPair.jpg
StugPair.jpg (419.07 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

To summarize, let's take a look at the pictorial record of the type as it evolved over the course of the war and how concrete was used to enhance its survivability. I've already documented the application of concrete to the these vehicles with line-drawings further up the thread. Early on, it was simply added to the capacious recesses in the frontal armor to either side of the main gun. As time went on, this application was increased and built-up into a convex shape. The shape is relevant because it conferred considerable depth to the application, particularly through the horizontal plane.

First, a short-barreled model, the III.D:

If you are taking a look BACK...why are you starting with a photo from the WINTER 1943/44???? I guess at least the book has to tell the truth....How about citing references? Dates? Units?

That so called concrete looks like horse dung. Your assertion that many early StuGs used concrete flies in the face of hundreds of photos.

Maybe tone down that 'purple-prose' too.

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”