New War in the East Review

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

citizenchip

New War in the East Review

Post by citizenchip »

For those of you still waiting to pull the trigger, there is a new review of War in the East, along with an AAR of the Road to Smolensk scenario, available on my blog.

I can promise that the review will include at least one terrible fruit simile.

You can find it here: Fog of Wargames.
Knavery

RE: New War in the East Review

Post by Knavery »

I think I'm sold on this now. I just don't know if I have the brain power to wrap it around my head. We shall see. :)
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
citizenchip

Post by citizenchip »

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I think it rewards exploration, so going in with rather limited knowledge is not going to render the game unplayable. I was pleased with how easy it was to start just moving the units around. I played through the tutorial and road to minsk scenarios without using any function other than moving my counters, and managed to do fine, at least on the easier difficulty levels.

Have fun!
parusski

Post by parusski »

Knavery, Don't doubt your brain power. This game does not really require the brain power of someone playing scrabble. It is a deep game requiring thought. Lot's of thinking before you send your tanks off in all directions.

Get the game.

Good, positive review.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Agree good review. Like the site.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
citizenchip

Post by citizenchip »

Thanks guys. I am thinking about posting reviews of some stuff that came out last year, like Decisive Campaigns: WtP, Hannibal, Field of Glory, etc. Perhaps a Hannibal AAR as well, although that could be embarrassing.
Astyreal

Post by Astyreal »

I'm goin in i'm goin in!!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”