Most Boring War-Movie

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Obsolete

Most Boring War-Movie

Post by Obsolete »

Alright, I have not watched that Pear Harbour movie everyone whines about, so keep that in mind, but anyway...

For the most BLANKS fired in a war-movie, I found AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT to be the most boring war-movie I can remember.

It makes those european anti-war movies actually look GOOD.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
warspite1

RE: Most Boring War-Movie

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Alright, I have not watched that Pear Harbour movie everyone whines about, so keep that in mind, but anyway...

For the most BLANKS fired in a war-movie, I found AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT to be the most boring war-movie I can remember.

It makes those european anti-war movies actually look GOOD.

Warspite1

I would not say Pearl Harbor was necessarily boring; it was just breath-takingly hideous. What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Don't bother with Pearl Harbour movie. It's rather a love story to attract women.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Thin Red Line was a godawful snooze-athon...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It was. Ugh. It seemed to me like a boring anti war movie. An anti war movie set in WW2. [&:]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yep, first movie that came to mind.[>:]
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I thought Stalingrad was right up there in the snooze-fest stakes. Such a shame, I expected so much better and indeed it started brightly enough, but then - well, sort of disappeared up its own exhaust pipe [&:].

Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Pearl Harbor made my skin crawl.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?

It was about the Argentinians and the Britts in their Falkland war....

I won't say anything else since... I don't even want to get into details about it.

Oh wait a minute, I WILL SAY SOMETHING!

Despite this was a Brittish film, and Britts are supposed to be heros and all, I found myself constantly waiting/hoping for the Argentines to come and shoot the @#%(#$^ out of the Britts and kick them right off the damn island and out of the movie. That just couldn't possibly happen fast enough...

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
What is An Ungentlemanly Act about and what made it boring?

It was about the Argentinians and the Britts in their Falkland war....

I won't say anything else since... I don't even want to get into details about it.

Oh wait a minute, I WILL SAY SOMETHING!

Despite this was a Brittish film, and Britts are supposed to be heros and all, I found myself constantly waiting/hoping for the Argentines to come and shoot the @#%(#$^ out of the Britts and kick them right off the damn island and out of the movie. That just couldn't possibly happen fast enough...

Warspite1

Why?

Tomus

Post by Tomus »

An Ungentlmanly Act was not really a war movie it was about the initial invasion but I wouldn't call it war film. It's more of a political drama. I thought it was pretty good.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

These all put me to sleep:

The English Patient.

Flags of Our Fathers.

Catch-22.

All Quiet On The Western Front.

The Thin Red Line.

Alexander.

Edit: also The Big Red One.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thin Red Line and The-Movie-that-Shall-Not-Be-Named-(About a Certain Surprise Attack on a Hawaian Naval Base) are terrible, though I don't think they're necessarily boring. They're just awful. Just like Kelly's Heroes, The Eagle has Landed, and Windtalkers.

For boring, I nominate War and Peace and 12 O'Clock High.

Oddly, you can have pretty good war movies that are just a tad bit too long, and thus can be a little bit boring. A Bridge too Far and possibly even Bridge on the River Kwai fall into that category, even though I like both movies.

Edited to correct by substituting The Eagle has Landed for The Eye of the Needle.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I don't know if I'm just a warmonger at heart, or if it is the anthropologist in me that enjoys watching war movies as a sort of 'ethnography' of warfare (the closest I really want to get to it, though I acknowledge it may often be inaccurate), but I've seen most of the movies mentioned here negatively (including the one with the hot nurses in the Pacific Island which shall not be named) and enjoyed all of them.

Another one that I really enjoyed, and have watched at least 3 times, but which IS boring: Das Boot.

Getting bored toward the last hour I think was part of the brilliance of that movie. It conveyed the agony of serving in one of those boats.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

An Ungentlmanly Act was not really a war movie it was about the initial invasion but I wouldn't call it war film. It's more of a political drama. I thought it was pretty good.

Well, I guess I was in trouble when the box said...

"Award winning drama starring blah... blah..."

"Excellent... not to be missed." - The Standard

This actually  makes me want to shove in Braveheart, just to watch the Scottish, Irish, and whatever other English-hating entities were around at that time beat the @#(^#$ out of the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge.

And yes, I am WELL AWARE the bridge seems to be missing in that battle scene for some odd reason...(thanks Hollywood) but after forcing myself through the above mentioned movie last night, it seems of little consequence now.

Oh, I see on the back some other quotes I missed:

"Riveting, unexpectedly funny..." - Daily Mail

"Cancel anything to see this -- and sandbag the living-room." - The Sunday Times

Ok, are these comments actually for real???

Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

If series are included the new pacific band o brothers was perhaps the most boring I have ever seen. I managed to watch only half of the episodes before quitting and forgetting the whole series.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Just like Kelly's Heroes

Aww man, that movie is in my Top Ten, not just War Top Ten, but Top Ten Top Ten.

I prefer it by it's Spanish title though, LOS VIOLENTOS DE KELLY! (Close second the German title, STOSSTRUPP GOLD!)
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Strosstrupp Gold Classic!!!!!!

PH
Thin Red Line
Flags of our Fathers
Battle of the Bugle (they couldnt even sing the whole Panzerleid)
Cold Beer in Alex
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Navodchik

Post by Navodchik »

My nominates are Gods and Generals and German movie The Red Baron. Others came too in my mind, but most of them are already mentioned.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I don't know if I'm just a warmonger at heart, or if it is the anthropologist in me that enjoys watching war movies as a sort of 'ethnography' of warfare (the closest I really want to get to it, though I acknowledge it may often be inaccurate), but I've seen most of the movies mentioned here negatively (including the one with the hot nurses in the Pacific Island which shall not be named) and enjoyed all of them.

Another one that I really enjoyed, and have watched at least 3 times, but which IS boring: Das Boot.

Getting bored toward the last hour I think was part of the brilliance of that movie. It conveyed the agony of serving in one of those boats.

God DaS Boot was BORING ! so true. But it still delivered a powerful story.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Return to “General Discussion”