How to defeat a World destroyer

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Merker

How to defeat a World destroyer

Post by Merker »

Just what the title says: has anyone met with the situation when the AI got its grubby paws/hands/appendages/claws/tentacles on a WD, and then went to war with you, with similar military strength so far. Any tactics to beating one? In the late game with super tech you can easily build a capital ship of similar power but in the early to mid game I don't think there are empires with enough firepower to match a WD.

I haven't played a game so far in which the AI found the thing before me. Most of the times nobody finds it at all, at least not early enough to make a difference...

Any insight on your experiences?

Cheers
Image[/img]
Kadrush

RE: How to defeat a World destroyer

Post by Kadrush »

Supposing that you have a long range sensor network...play elastic defense...keep several small fleets close to each other, when their fleets show up reinforce the attacked sector. Your bigger ships should have a hyper deny, that way when the WD show up intercept it, it might destroy 1 planet, but your hyper deny will keep him from escaping allowing you to destroy it.
Merker

Post by Merker »

Has this happened to anyone?
Image[/img]
James009

Post by James009 »

... unfortunately, my military intelligence indicates that a Free Trading Guild World Destroyer is inbound to Earth... I'm kinda dreading loading the savegame as he's already destroyed two outer rim planets and one defense fleet. Frankly, I don't know how to stop them.

Can I evacuate my planet, lol?
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

My current game, the red colored empire has constructors repairing a world destroyer. i have only one colony. (all three independent human colonies killed my colonizers. i have a good rep! LOL I'll probably drop that game and start again.
"Banging rocks together... thats the ticket to a better tomorrow."
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Gravity Wells are great for giving you the time to destroy the World Destroyer before it wipes out your planet. You also really need to have at the very least Cruisers and ideally Capital Ships to stand a real change.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
James009

Post by James009 »

Gravity Wells, you say? This must be an advanced technology that I don't yet aquire.

Once I was informed that the World Destroyer "Devastator Moon" was heading to my home planet (from across the galaxy where it had been on a galactic killing spree) I did a blitz attack and captured the enemy's homeworld giving me command and control over the weapon just as it started to go through my outer rim systems. After some lengthy debate my scientists had it disassembled. We had a victory but at the great cost of a couple foreign empires and two major colonies, no more will that weapon threaten my galaxy.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Gravity Wells are great for giving you the time to destroy the World Destroyer before it wipes out your planet. You also really need to have at the very least Cruisers and ideally Capital Ships to stand a real change.

Regards,

- Erik

It should mostly be a matter of combined firepower, so numbers should also be able to do the trick.

If your designs mix long and short range weaponry, make sure that most of your ships in the battle have their engagement strategy set to 'point blank' for both superior and inferior enemies. It could pay to use this strategy, regardless. You want to bring as much firepower to bear as possible.

And yes, Gravity wells are very advanced. Should be available when the expansion story line comes to its culmination. Against the repaired world destroyers in an early/mid game stage all bets are off. Note, that these have the highest rated armor in the game with a 10 point reactive rating which, if I am not mistaken, means that you need more than that much damage for any hit to do penetrate so long as any armor is left. Another good reason to have every ship of yours go to point blank.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: elanaahova

My current game, the red colored empire has constructors repairing a world destroyer. i have only one colony. (all three independent human colonies killed my colonizers. i have a good rep! LOL I'll probably drop that game and start again.

Send a fleet of yours swatting next to the rival constructors once the repair of the World Destroyer is nearing completion. Chances are your warship crews will board the ship ahead of your rivals once its systems are powering up ;)

Edit: Actually I find this strategy too close to cheating for comfort.
Data

Post by Data »

i think it's WAD....mere engineers cannot lay claim in the face of superior firepower but I don't use it either
actually you don't need a fleet, just to have the closest military ship to the WD should do the trick
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

Sobach2, thank you... It looks like stated: ownership of a almost repaired found wrecked-ship goes to the empire with the largest / strongest /closest military ships to the newly repaired space wreck, and the ownership of the actual repairing (constructor) ships is much less important?

Why doesn't the manual tell us these things? I glad you did!
James009

Post by James009 »

That explains the armada next to the one I just saw. Seems the AI knows this too!
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

i have never had a world destroyer built against me, most of the time, when i see the ai repairing it, i will take the rep hit, fire on the constructor, and then put my own there
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

Huum, guys, quick question, is it easier to destroy one that isn't completely repaired yet ? And even then, how much is needed ?

Also, do constructors need supplies to repair ships ? I had a constructor near one, chased my enemy's with a few salvos from a warship, but my constructor just left the area instead of repairing...
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

Don't know if constructors can repair with no supplies. Do you mean fuel, or materials?
Mine seem to repair as long as they are on the ship base needing repairs.

Easier to destroy before the world killer is repaired. Well, yes. As long as it has 'abandoned' status, it doesn't fire back!
Data

Post by Data »

if the weapons on that thing were ok and the reactors up i think it would fire back, no matter how damaged the rest of it was
i've also seen constructors repair with nothing in their cargo but they are also constantly supplied by freighters...more so when repairing world destroyers
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

In the last war, (eons ago) the central worlds were ordered to evacuate their core planets. But that technology does not seem to be available to current game civs.
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

I'm referring to 'wrecks' like the world destroyer 'wreck.' I don't think they - abandoned wrecks- fire back...

However, as you suggest, one wreck, partially repaired... just might bite back...
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

If you spot the WD being repaired and are not in a position to grab it yourself, you can deny it to your enemy with a well aimed spying mission.
Choose <sabotage construction><constructor ship name> and give your spy a generous micronuke on his way.
At least that´s what worked for me.
I never saw an explosion with such mixed emotions before.
WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...
Data

Post by Data »

tofudog, from the way you write i sense you might have some aar material in you....interested? i'd like to see an aar with your gameplay, if you have the time or inclination

Return to “The War Room”