Keeping the best - a feature discussion

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Texican

RE: Keeping the best - a feature discussion

Post by Texican »

Have terrain-appropriate camo on units: Tanks units in the desert are beige, units on Eastern front are gray, maybe greenish-gray camo in later years, infantry in winter has white snow jackets, etc...
Texican

Post by Texican »

Have finite limits on refueling and ammo resupply. Maybe more of an abundance in early war years, but gets tight later on. That way, objectives such as fuel depots can make things dicey as you strive to get there to refuel or something.
parusski

Post by parusski »

One more thing I never want to see again. Please never allow Conrad to appear on film, he is a defeatist.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

ORIGINAL: Texican
Have terrain-appropriate camo on units: Tanks units in the desert are beige, units on Eastern front are gray, maybe greenish-gray camo in later years, infantry in winter has white snow jackets, etc...

Totally agree. I´m tired of seeing grey Panthers and King Tigers. The usual response from developers is something like "we don´t want to confuse players so each side have a definite colour".

Come on! Wargames are not for casual players but people that have played other wargames or at least have some knowledge of history. IMHO if you can´t tell the difference between a Tiger and a Sherman tank you don´t deserve to play something like Panzer Corps. Or live. [:'(]
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Actualy a more valid response would be "doing 2-3 versions of each unit (texture) takes too much time". We have ~300 of them x3 = 900 unit icons. And it does get harder to quickly identify your own units if they have similar colours to the enemy.
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

I know, just kidding...

The subtleties of camo are only appreciated by a minority of grognards...but changing colours from one to another (without camo stripes and such) doesn´t involve so many time. I´ve never found a game where the same set of models have different texture (except Combat Mission) so i don´t know if gamers will get confused about this.

300 units? wow...
Texican

Post by Texican »

ORIGINAL: Lukas

Actualy a more valid response would be "doing 2-3 versions of each unit (texture) takes too much time". We have ~300 of them x3 = 900 unit icons. And it does get harder to quickly identify your own units if they have similar colours to the enemy.

Then just the color variable, maybe.
Texican

Post by Texican »

ORIGINAL: parusski

One more thing I never want to see again. Please never allow Conrad to appear on film, he is a defeatist.

You know, that "Conrad" character from "The Battle of the Bulge" was actually in the war in real life. Got his facial scars on the Russian front.
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

Here a quick sample of how a camo texture would like in the game. I doesn´t took so much time to make but i understand you run under a schedule. Surely the bitmaps could be changed so maybe we may see this as a fan-made mod. :)

Texican

Post by Texican »

ORIGINAL: Deadmoon

Here a quick sample of how a camo texture would like in the game. I doesn´t took so much time to make but i understand you run under a schedule. Surely the bitmaps could be changed so maybe we may see this as a fan-made mod. :)

That looks great. I think if they cannot get camoflage in for release, they at least ought to work it into a future patch.
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

ORIGINAL: Texican
That looks great. I think if they cannot get camoflage in for release, they at least ought to work it into a future patch.

If every model has its own bitmap (as in previous releases from this developers) it should be quite easy to modify them.....
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

I hope to see this offered later after the initial release by the developers or modders. Maybe the company could offer it at close to cost as an add on or a patch later?
takman

Post by takman »

I liked PG scenarios with very large maps and large numbers of units.
I also like "John Tiller" games from HPS simulations, whilst some think this would make the game boring, I think it accurately portrays the massive scale of fighting that occured in World War II.
Many more unit types, like the Focke Wulf 187 and a host of aircraft from Luftwaffe 46 as just one example. Modders will probably add them later anyway, more work for the programmer but a more complete game at the outset

I would also like some what-if alternate history scenarios such as "the Hilter Options" by Kenneth Macksey, "Invasion" by Kenneth Macksey, "Third Reich Victorius" edited by Peter G.Tsouras, "Rising sun Victorius" edited by Peter G. Tsouras, "Disaster at D-Day" by Peter G. Tsouras, "The Moscow Option" by David Downing. These books would provide a starting-point for a Multitude of Plausible what-if scenarios or campaigns.

A game that aslo encompasses world war one and starts from say,1900 to 1950 and beyond. I aslo wish they would design a "Hearts of Iron 2" game like above, Hearts of Iron 3 was disappointing.

Well thats my wish list, but I will keep dreaming.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I think if they cannot get camoflage in for release, they at least ought to work it into a future patch.

I am usually against camoflage. I prefer a unit that is modeled and textured STAND-OUT so it's not just distinguishable, but also so that it POPS-OUT very well from the board/terrain. This is more important on scenarios that include many units.

Nothing worse than not being able to clearly see that you parked your Pz-I in the bushy hex, waiting to block that Ronson with your E-ZoC so you could buy time to finish the job off with your PzIV that is en-route.

Instead, you forgot to move because you couldn't see things very well, and your primary supply/victory hex is now taken giving you an immediate loss :P

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
I think if they cannot get camoflage in for release, they at least ought to work it into a future patch.

I am usually against camoflage. I prefer a unit that is modeled and textured STAND-OUT so it's not just distinguishable, but also so that it POPS-OUT very well from the board/terrain. This is more important on scenarios that include many units.

Nothing worse than not being able to clearly see that you parked your Pz-I in the bushy hex, waiting to block that Ronson with your E-ZoC so you could buy time to finish the job off with your PzIV that is en-route.

Instead, you forgot to move because you couldn't see things very well, and your primary supply/victory hex is now taken giving you an immediate loss :P

Actually, having it pop out isn't that big of a deal if it's anything like Panzer General II you can just click on the whatever it's called button and it goes automatically to the units that havent been used yet. Simple. No way you can miss one that way. Personally, I like the camo texture if it fits the battle. No need to dumb it down.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I don't want to have to keep using the NEXT-UNIT toggles just to see where my units are.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

What do y'all think about enhancing "recon" vehicle's abilities regarding survival on the battle field. I was always afraid to purchase or use them too much because they would get butt busted asap in the PG format. Can we give them a retreat before combat possiblity? Increase their armor to reflect that reality? Other ideas? Seems like they were used more in the real war than we will use them in our games basically because of the i go you go format.

Return to “Panzer Corps”